09-20-12, 08:31 AM   #21
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Thumbs up One word for this...

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
But the addon passes blizz and they say it's ok... it's like the paid for addons, how and why are they still around even tho the policy forbids them, it's not something for us to be asking you guys tho.. you got the ok the addon is fine, it's blizzard who should be answering these questions.
Since I have to have more than 10 characters, my response to this great question/statement is:

Amen!

09-20-12, 11:12 AM   #22
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
sadly I'm just a low peon in the scale of things, I've tried asking these questions in email to the UI development team just to try getting a clear answer of why some addons are allowed to violate the policy they put in place, and other's arent ... and get no response.

09-20-12, 03:01 PM   #23
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
sadly I'm just a low peon in the scale of things, I've tried asking these questions in email to the UI development team just to try getting a clear answer of why some addons are allowed to violate the policy they put in place, and other's arent ... and get no response.
My question, because I don't know if they have - are there any addons that have actually been forbidden for not obeying their ToS? Or has there been no actual enforcement of this ruling other than the authors either following or not following the rules?

09-20-12, 03:13 PM   #24
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There is a list of banned addons that the game will not load. It doesn't store the name of the addon, just a hash so I don't know what addons have actually been banned.

I think a version of GearScore was banned for overwhelming the servers with addon messages but I'm not sure.

09-20-12, 05:01 PM   #25
Livanamako
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by semlar View Post
I think a version of GearScore was banned for overwhelming the servers with addon messages but I'm not sure.
Yup think I remember that. BTW. Gearscore also missing an update atm.

Developers
I hope the developers will agree to somewhat change the status to more open, really begin thinking a Carbonite continued where we can add to a repository would be a very good idea if the developers aren't fully behind this aging product.

Future
Are the developers set on keeping Carbonite on their own hands? Or can the addon become more true open source?

Tools
Is/Was Carbonite developed with another tool? I mean the obfusion must originate from something. If there is a tool there might be other problems to having a repository.

09-20-12, 05:25 PM   #26
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by Livanamako View Post
Yup think I remember that. BTW. Gearscore also missing an update atm.

Developers
I hope the developers will agree to somewhat change the status to more open, really begin thinking a Carbonite continued where we can add to a repository would be a very good idea if the developers aren't fully behind this aging product.
So long as they maintain no one can touch it, we can't do a carbonite continued. The developers control it reguardless aging or not.

Future
Are the developers set on keeping Carbonite on their own hands? Or can the addon become more true open source?
I offered to buy the source, I have not had an official response yes or no yet but I was told there is a very low chance of the original source being released publicly as they wish to keep it out of blizzards hands (my guess is the fued dates back to the new addon policy which everyone guessed at the time was directed at carbonite), but that's just a guess the only word I got was "to keep it from them".

Tools
Is/Was Carbonite developed with another tool? I mean the obfusion must originate from something. If there is a tool there might be other problems to having a repository.
parts of carbonite are all datamined, and they have tools to get that data (developed by haavok is my understanding). But you don't need the tools, I was able to do my updates without them... it just took time to figure out the forumula's they used.

09-20-12, 06:12 PM   #27
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I offered to buy the source
Don't do this. Carbonite is pretty much done for, I don't want to see someone attempt to keep it limping along in its current state.

I feel I should mention that I could reproduce the entire functionality of carbonite's map within my own addon that I've been working on over the past month, and it's almost completely self-sufficient so it should just continue to work any time they add new maps.

Here are some screenshots if you're interested.

09-20-12, 07:10 PM   #28
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
Don't do this. Carbonite is pretty much done for, I don't want to see someone attempt to keep it limping along in its current state.

I feel I should mention that I could reproduce the entire functionality of carbonite's map within my own addon that I've been working on over the past month, and it's almost completely self-sufficient so it should just continue to work any time they add new maps.

Here are some screenshots if you're interested.
The idea of buying it was to not keep it limping along, but to rewrite it function by function bringing it up to today's standards of what an addon should be.... it's a lot easier to tear something down, segregating and seperating it, then it is to start from scratch and build up.

09-20-12, 09:50 PM   #29
amkosh
A Murloc Raider
So long as they maintain no one can touch it, we can't do a carbonite continued. The developers control it reguardless aging or not.

I offered to buy the source, I have not had an official response yes or no yet but I was told there is a very low chance of the original source being released publicly as they wish to keep it out of blizzards hands (my guess is the fued dates back to the new addon policy which everyone guessed at the time was directed at carbonite), but that's just a guess the only word I got was "to keep it from them".

parts of carbonite are all datamined, and they have tools to get that data (developed by haavok is my understanding). But you don't need the tools, I was able to do my updates without them... it just took time to figure out the forumula's they used.
Why can't we make a free version? I mean we couldn't use the code or any art asset files that carbonite ships with, but we could make our own. It would be work of course, but I had been thinking about it, or just doing without.

My problem with Carbonite is that knowing that it does obfuscate code and that breaks Blizzard's policy. Sure from reading this thread I see that Blizzard blessed it, and that they selectively enforce that policy. Part of me wonders if the community managers are the ones looking, and that might mean if a real developer looked at it, they may throw a red flag on it. I don't know. Its probably safe, but... And that but worries me.

Anyways, I don't want to rehash what others have said, or go to far off topic, so I will stop now.

09-20-12, 11:10 PM   #30
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian

Maybe you can take a look into that. QH2 is dead and used a Page to collect Data:

http://www.smariot.com/qh2/

Questhelper2

http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/questhelper2/

Here is the API from the Collector:

http://wow.curseforge.com/addons/que...r2_collection/

Sooo, I uploaded last Version to my GitHub:

https://github.com/gOOvER/questhelper2

In /dev are the files for Collecting and for Collector's Page

Last edited by gOOvER : 09-20-12 at 11:23 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Question to Rythal or Devs