10-17-09, 05:28 PM   #1
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
A Small Problem with Nui+ & Prat

I had a problem appear 3 days ago that makes it real hard to see what I'm typing in the Chat edit box. Heh, my eyes aren't what they used to be.

This is with Nui+ v5.05.02 and Prat v3.28 and, just to forestall questions, I'm not using the PTR release.

Specifically, the chat is all of a sudden very dark text instead of bright text no matter which channel I'm sending text. This is only happening with the edit box text, the incoming text is still bright, not dark. One day it was working fine, then the next time I logged on this problem with dark text in the Chat edit box started.

With Nui+ turned off Prat's edit box text color is it's standard bright text. When I turn Nui+ back on the text color immediately goes back to being very dark and hard to read.

Using nUI_Config_GUI v30200 I've looked at all the options but can't find an option to change the brightness of the edit box colors. Neither can I find one in Prat.

I'd sure like to get a hint as to what is happening, and a fix if one is available.

10-17-09, 06:57 PM   #2
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It could be that the frame strata or level has been raised for the chat frame and is causing it to overlay the edit box for the chat frame, thus making the whole edit frame darker. I'm not sure how to fix that.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

10-17-09, 11:47 PM   #3
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
It could be that the frame strata or level has been raised for the chat frame and is causing it to overlay the edit box for the chat frame, thus making the whole edit frame darker. I'm not sure how to fix that.
Well, I definitely found it to be an interaction problem with Prat after I disabled it tonight. About the only difference I could see in the size/position of the edit box with Prat enabled is it looks like the top and right edges of the edit box are JUST barely touching the top/right chat box border. None of Prats available config options will fix the problem. I guess the Prat author made some minute changes to the edit box in v3.2.8 and in the process broke it's compatibility with nUI.

As for fixing it... Well, I'm sure you've heard something like this before, but if you were to incorporate the Prat scroll button for moving to the top or bottom of the text into v6 of nUI I'd guess the problem would go away, at least for me , not to mention having another addon bite the dust.

Lord knows that Prat does a lot towards fixing some of the default chat box shortcomings, but the only attraction of Prat for me is the added scroll button for quickly moving to the top/bottom of the chat text. The rest of its goodies I don't really use much, but I do use that particular extra top/bottom scroll button a whole bunch.

For now though, what with nUI being more important to me than Prat and needing to be able to read that edit box text, Prat will just have to take a hike.

10-18-09, 01:05 AM   #4
spiel2001
nUI's Author

If it helps any, nUI does support scrolling all the way to the bottom of the chat frame -- it's the down arrow with a line under it that appears when you mouse over the chat frame. Just click it and it will take you to the bottom of the chat frame.

However, there is no button to take you to the top of the chat frame though nUI does support the mouse wheel while you are moused over the chat frame... I find that gets me to the top fast enough.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

10-18-09, 08:02 AM   #5
Dramber
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Or you could switch to Chatter.
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...s/chatter.aspx

It works just fine.

-Napoleon Dynamage

10-18-09, 12:32 PM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I just helped my boyfriend with this issue last night....

This is an issue with Prat, not nUI. The author of Prat has made huge changes to the edit box and it's buggy. Go back to Prat version 3.2.6 until Sylvanaar can get this stuff fixed with the edit box.

10-18-09, 05:59 PM   #7
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
If it helps any, nUI does support scrolling all the way to the bottom of the chat frame -- it's the down arrow with a line under it that appears when you mouse over the chat frame. Just click it and it will take you to the bottom of the chat frame.

However, there is no button to take you to the top of the chat frame though nUI does support the mouse wheel while you are moused over the chat frame... I find that gets me to the top fast enough.
Heh... Well... When you have arthritis in all your finger joints you find out real quick that using the mouse wheel to scroll up through several hours of text gets a little painful. Pushing 70 does things like that to you!

Kudo's to the fellow who mentioned Chatter, a plugin I hadn't heard of. Unlike the latest version of Prat, it works and has the all the features I need. It only has a very minor gotcha, in that sometimes at login the chat text is all dark, but a reload takes care of that. As a bonus its option panel is also better set up than Prats'.

As for Prat, well, as long as Chatter continues to work, I can easily wait for the author to work out his newly introduced bugs.

10-19-09, 05:43 AM   #8
Alpha Dog
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Originally Posted by Coasty View Post
Pushing 70 does things like that to you!
GREAT to find other "oldies but still goodies" playing WOW. I'm close to you agewise but a bit short of 70 (3yrs).

I just love it when I go on a raid & out DPS/Perform all the kiddies (I consider anyone under 60 to be a kiddie ) in my group.

When they learn how old I am they cant believe it.

Oldies + nUI = FTW

Devilmon 80 Warlock
Sen'Jin
Sanford, FL

10-19-09, 09:02 AM   #9
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Alpha Dog View Post
When they learn how old I am they cant believe it.

Oldies + nUI = FTW

Devilmon 80 Warlock
Sen'Jin
Sanford, FL
I get that reaction all the time, usually when they get around to asking 'What in heck does that <insert your own old fart slang here> mean'!!

I think it surprises some that even a few of us ancient pelicans like to play games and, Good Lord, even know our way around a computer...

10-31-09, 01:15 PM   #10
Taralas
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
I just helped my boyfriend with this issue last night....

This is an issue with Prat, not nUI. The author of Prat has made huge changes to the edit box and it's buggy. Go back to Prat version 3.2.6 until Sylvanaar can get this stuff fixed with the edit box.
Actually, it has been resolved. If you change the line in nUI_ChatFrame.lua that contains:

if not IsAddOnLoaded( "Chatter" ) then

to:

if not IsAddOnLoaded( "Prat-3.0" ) then

The settings from Prat are not overwritten, and the edit box can be positioned with Prat.

Maybe we can get this rolled into the current version?

-Taralas

10-31-09, 06:13 PM   #11
Shadowfeonix
An Aku'mai Servant

I put chatter in and for whatever reason when i load into wow it's Backgroud sits above my chat a simple /nui rl fixes it but anyone know a way to not need to reload my ui to fix it?

11-13-09, 09:36 AM   #12
tinyu
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Taralas View Post
Actually, it has been resolved. If you change the line in nUI_ChatFrame.lua that contains:

if not IsAddOnLoaded( "Chatter" ) then

to:

if not IsAddOnLoaded( "Prat-3.0" ) then

The settings from Prat are not overwritten, and the edit box can be positioned with Prat.

Maybe we can get this rolled into the current version?

-Taralas

Thank you very much.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » A Small Problem with Nui+ & Prat