AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Check out this thread "Kill all addons"

Take a look at this thread on the Cata Forums

Kill All Addons

08-01-10, 10:12 PM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

I so desperately want to tell that guy that healbot is not essential for raid healing. I've never needed it. His issue is he equates convenience with necessity.

Lets not forget that adding more to the default UI means turning things off if your system cant handle the extra load which is no different than not downloading an addon for the same reason. I would imagine that it would be more efficient if it were part of the core code but it would still add to the load in any case.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

08-01-10, 10:49 PM   #3
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

To re-iterate my response: Troll is obvious troll.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

08-01-10, 11:22 PM   #4
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

This guy (the original poster in that thread) is displaying the most perverse form of elitism. That is, an elitist posing as an anti-elitist.

In my opinion, stating (in effect) "I choose not to use addons and therefore nobody else should be allowed to use them" makes him more of an elitist than those people you see in-game saying "lfg icc10 heroic. Must have 80000 gs"

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

08-01-10, 11:56 PM   #5
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by ricks322 View Post
Take a look at this thread on the Cata Forums

Kill All Addons
His post made me laugh really really hard. Of course if the game had no addons then new players and old player alike would learn to adapt without them. For me a addon is not something that I NEED to play but rather something that enhances the game play and makes it more enjoyable for me.

Of course there are addons that detract from the game and blizzard has done a good job of removing them. The latest one that comes to mind is AVR. there have been many others that have been banned from use.

I hang out on a few wow related forums and laugh whenever I see a macro request/ addon request that would otherwise play the game for you.

And at the expense of someone else I give you a prime example of macro request.
Code:
Is it possible to castsequence Cone of Cold, then blink backwards? Maybe a script?

/castsequence reset=3, Cone of Cold, then include:

/run FlipCameraYaw(180) 
/stop casting 
/cast Blink 

Is there a way? Thanks
The replies that followed were even funnier.

08-02-10, 01:10 AM   #6
sakurakira
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

This is what one person said:

A lot of people will not play a game if the UI experience they are looking for is not in a game. Add ons allow for that extra level of customization that people want to see.
And I couldn't agree more. You only have to look at WOWI's UI thread to see that this is the case. Some of the posted UIs are completely and utterly different from anything in the default UI. It's obvious that those people have a specific visual preference that the default doesn't do for them, so they create it from scratch.

Addons aren't all about convenience, or even function. Visual appearance is important too. Well, to some of us.

One of the best game UIs I really enjoyed playing around with was the Guild Wars UI. You entered a config mode and had the option of resizing and moving every single UI element. It was fantastic. I would love to see that with the default UI (there are some addons for WoW that do similar things, but not in the exact same way that is native to GW.)

Last edited by sakurakira : 08-02-10 at 01:13 AM.

08-02-10, 03:11 AM   #7
Vlad
A Molten Giant

If addons were disables, all these interface sites would be pointless to a certain level and only the core users would stay just to chat and keep in touch, but in the end people would also stop playing as lack of customization also makes it less fun playing the game. I've myself been subscribed just so I can make addons, hehe.

08-02-10, 10:41 AM   #8
Sideshow
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

modding, scripting and customization is always a key element in successful software imo

still, I understand this guys point of view

08-02-10, 01:04 PM   #9
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I will say that playing with defaults only is giving me a renewed appreciation of how much better my ui looks than the default. I'm sorry but the defaults are just ugly and poorly placed to be able to play efficiently.

Call me spoiled, but I LIKE having my combat buttons placed neatly where I know I can get to them quickly as opposed to spread all over the bottom and right side of the screen.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

08-02-10, 01:23 PM   #10
Dawn
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
I will say that playing with defaults only is giving me a renewed appreciation of how much better my ui looks than the default. I'm sorry but the defaults are just ugly and poorly placed to be able to play efficiently.

Call me spoiled, but I LIKE having my combat buttons placed neatly where I know I can get to them quickly as opposed to spread all over the bottom and right side of the screen.
OMG HE'S A CLICKERRRRR LAWLZ!!1

Seriously, I've been playing with the default UI from time to time and it's quite refreshing to witness that "retro" feeling.

Anyway, I would definitely quit the game sooner than later if they'd disable addons. Actually coding is the ONLY thing I do in game for month and therefore it's the only thing that keeps me subscribing to the game.

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

08-03-10, 03:47 AM   #11
AtliThor
Now in color!

Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Anyway, I would definitely quit the game sooner than later if they'd disable addons. Actually coding is the ONLY thing I do in game for month and therefore it's the only thing that keeps me subscribing to the game.
Yea me to. I usually get very bored with the actual game after a while, but I never get tired of messing with the UI

08-03-10, 04:57 AM   #12
Nefrirr
A Cyclonian

This thread just displays a typical kind of human behaviour. If one doesn't have a in-depth knowledge of a certain subculture (in this case addon-users/authors) it's strangely much easier to condemn it.

Obviously, the author has a very conservative view on what should or shouldn't be part of a UI, a very limited knowledge of both the default interface and the variety of addons out there, but still thinks that he is able to judge what stance on addons is "right".

In particular, I think it's pretty funny that he also opposes the standard UI enemy-castbars. Why the heck should an option like this ever be a bad thing? It only enables players to pose decisions more carefully based on the information at hand. The same holds true for "combat log parsers" like DBM or PvP addons like CC tracker or my own addon. It's not that the information isn't there to see for the player, it's just not conviniently presented by the standard UI.

Last edited by Nefrirr : 08-03-10 at 06:05 AM. Reason: typo

08-03-10, 05:55 AM   #13
dr_AllCOM3
A Cyclonian

Humans love to customize stuff, that's why addons are so popular.
Just look at what stupidly expensive stuff they but for their mobile phones .

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Cataclysm Beta » Check out this thread "Kill all addons"