08-05-10, 07:07 AM   #21
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Ferous, what you are seeing is the old downloader in the process of downloading the NEW launcher.

1. The 658 Mb file downloads

2. This file installs. Which apparently can be a lengthy process all on its own, accounting for your computer's speed.

3. When the installation completes, the NEW launcher should come up. You will recognize it by the little colored bars located on the main progress bar.

4. The "play" button will be grayed out initially, but should become active somewhere around 5%, depending on your download speed (I think)

As far as deleting your previous data folder, I don't think it makes any difference at all, other than freeing up probably needed hdd space. The new launcher (at this point anyway) doesn't seem to use any of the old files.

Hope this helps. Spent a good chunk of the night trying to say the same things over at the o-forums, but getting through the screams of sheer terror from the panicked masses is almost impossible.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

08-05-10, 09:11 AM   #22
Hamstah
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
ps anyone found an option to disable the p2p in the new launcher?
Not 100% sure on this, but my understanding is that if you open the game launcher (i.e. for Wrath) and click the options button, you can disable p2p from there and it *should* work for the new downloader/installer thingy.

08-05-10, 09:14 AM   #23
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Hamstah-Emeriss View Post
Not 100% sure on this, but my understanding is that if you open the game launcher (i.e. for Wrath) and click the options button, you can disable p2p from there and it *should* work for the new downloader/installer thingy.
Yes. Also if you disable P2P in the initial dl of the new client, it will stay disabled.

08-05-10, 01:01 PM   #24
IQgryn
A Cyclonian
So I think I like the new launcher/patcher/whatever you want to call it. But, it still has some quirks.

Any terrain that hasn't loaded has a mottle blue translucent box about 30-50% larger than the object itself that you can't enter (but can get stuck on the corner of) that will disappear once the texture itself is downloaded. It's possible to glitch these out and get through them, but it often results in falling through the world. You usually get thrown back up into the air after you fall far enough, which works well for my druid and priest but not my other toons.

EVERYTHING is loaded in parts. The map. The minimap. The freaking talent trees. I had 1/3 of my talents available (one spec) for viewing for a good ten minutes. Sounds seem to be put behind a lot of other things, which is probably better than hearing but not seeing stuff.

Also, for those running it under wine: you may need the patch at http://bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=29301 to get the installer to get past 2%. Once you get the game installed, the launcher will freak out until it gets past a certain point downloading the patch/game...but it will keep going in the background even if the launcher itself closes. You can verify that by watching your download activity or checking that Blizzard Downloader.exe is running. If it isn't for some reason, you can also open Wow directly (run wow.exe instead of the launcher) and leave it at the login screen; it will download in the background (though much more slowly). I was getting 300-500 kB/s with the background process and 20-30 with Wow open.

Of course, this is all during the yellow part, where they tell you it'll act weird. I don't have the patience to wait for green. I only stopped to post this because the world server crashed.

EDIT: it seems the download after the Launcher closes is not as consistent as I thought. Running Wow directly will still work though.

Last edited by IQgryn : 08-05-10 at 01:16 PM.

08-05-10, 03:28 PM   #25
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The new launcher is major sweetness! I got to yellow in a matter of minutes and was able to log into the game. Things loaded a tad slow, but otherwise it was fine. Then I logged out and slept through the rest of the download lol. No more logging in, back out again, clicking on this or that till it's completed. Just one click, it downloads and its done. That's it and that's all.

Much much better in my humble opinion.

08-19-10, 10:35 PM   #26
phiobos
A Murloc Raider

Installing the beta client was a terrible experience.
But the new launcher is also crap.
The first time I entered the game, there was no sound effect.
And I don't like downloading file after logged in. It takes me too much time to wait.

08-19-10, 10:45 PM   #27
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Well, phiobos, you can still do it the old way, where you wait for it to finish downloading before you log in.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-24-10, 10:11 PM   #28
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
thank you, WoWI, for the beta key.

however, this new download process is going to be very unpleasant, going forward (over a 768Kb rural DSL).

in fact, Blizzard seems to have invoked a catch-22. the launcher lists (or, originally listed) a 14.5Gb backlog of stuff to download (which seems a bit excessive, for a game that should release on a single DVD)... but while the launcher+game subsume enough bandwidth to render web browsing and all other network usage basically impossible, it also seems to be throttling itself well below my maximum available bandwidth, such that the huge backlog is going to take 4-5 days to complete (even running around the clock).

is there any way to configure this new launcher to use "as much bandwidth as it can get", so that i can get this over with and get my network access back? or should i just not worry about it (i.e. allow the game to download only while it is up, in which case it could take months to grab everything)?
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"

08-24-10, 11:01 PM   #29
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Acapela, the first thing you should do is start the "live" launcher and disable peer to peer transfers and throttle download in background. Disabling these two things will speed up your download by as much as ten times.

As far as the size, you have to keep in mind that in the beta you're downloading the ENTIRE client. When Cata goes live, there will be a downloaded prepatch that everyone will have and then the stuff you install from the retail disk will all be added to your original WoW client. So, yeah the retail most likely will be only one DVD.

Hope this helps.

08-25-10, 12:38 AM   #30
Quokka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Acapela, the first thing you should do is start the "live" launcher and disable peer to peer transfers and throttle download in background. Disabling these two things will speed up your download by as much as ten times.

As far as the size, you have to keep in mind that in the beta you're downloading the ENTIRE client. When Cata goes live, there will be a downloaded prepatch that everyone will have and then the stuff you install from the retail disk will all be added to your original WoW client. So, yeah the retail most likely will be only one DVD.

Hope this helps.
I'd be more than happy if the give you a standalone installer, so that if you setup a new system, you don't have to install all WoW & 3 expansions. But just the latest version. Would save a ton off time, since between the version there is allways a patch.

08-25-10, 07:57 PM   #31
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
When I installed WoW on my (then) new computer last Fall, all I used was the WotLK disc.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Cataclysm Beta » New Cataclysm Beta Launcher coming soon