09-03-10, 10:44 PM   #1
Nefrirr
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Fixes for login troubles

Since I didn't find any links to this issue in the WoWI forums and there are probably more addon authors from the last batch, that fight with the same problems, I just wanted to share how I resolved my login troubles.

Problem: After the new launcher downloaded and the "play" button becomes available, login works (i.e. password and authenticator code are accepted), but retreiving the server list fails without further comment ("connection failed").

Solution: Read this thread http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...72483&sid=2000 and follow all of the instructions carefully.

The solution basically consists of completing your battle.net cache with files from outher users. Be aware that the location of the files varies depending on your operating system and that you may need to take additional steps such as deleting your cache folder entirely.

09-04-10, 05:03 PM   #2
Monk1nr
A Murloc Raider
Yeah, that doesn't work. I am able to log into live, but not the beta, on two computers.

* edit - Although, I have no access to other users files, so that may work. I doubt it, though. We are now to 5 pages with that thread.

Last edited by Monk1nr : 09-04-10 at 05:06 PM.

09-04-10, 09:31 PM   #3
Wasgij
A Cliff Giant

This is what you need to do ..... And it works

42. Re: Unable to Connect 09/03/2010 09:27:08 AM EDT
Try changing your password or editing the address on your Battle.net account. Sometimes magical things happen when you save/change your account, like a reset button. You may need to wait a few hours for it to register though.

On my W7 x64 set up only the Program Data/Blizzard Entertainment/Battle.net/Cache is in use, drop the ab and 24 folders in there instead of the [user]/App Data/Blizzard Entertainment/Battle.net/Cache.

http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B01l...MjYzZWZi&hl=en

Also, if there is no WoW1 or Wow2 select option from your launcher, add

SET accountList "WoW1|!WoW2|

to your config.wtf

09-05-10, 02:10 AM   #4
DNBRMG
A Murloc Raider
Not working for Win XP systems

The cited fix is not working on a Windows XP SP3 system, even using the XP equivalent AppData/ProgramData paths. I am still waiting for the streaming client cache to finish downloading (due to the launcher/downloader keeps crashing), or at least get to the "green" playable state on my Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit laptop to see if that makes any difference, but it is doubtful it will.

UPDATE: The fix outlined above worked on my Win 7 Ult 64-bit laptop, back to the drawing board on my XP system. Humm, I wonder if creating the Win 7 program/appdata paths, even though they are not the XP equivalents, would work.

Last edited by DNBRMG : 09-05-10 at 03:41 AM.

09-05-10, 05:15 AM   #5
Nefrirr
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by DNBRMG View Post
Humm, I wonder if creating the Win 7 program/appdata paths, even though they are not the XP equivalents, would work.
Probably not. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a Win XP system, so I cant really help you with that. Note however that on both Win7 and OS X I found two (!) different battle.net caches, one seems to be linked to the live account and one to the beta account. (Upon deleting the cache, one folder was only restored when I started live wow and the other one only when I started beta WoW).

On Win7 it sufficed to complete the beta cache with the chache fileso of other users from the official beta forum thread (the one I linked in the original post), on OS X I had to delete both caches and complete BOTH with the third party files. God knows I don't know why.

Anyway, make sure to search thoroughly for battle.net cache files and make sure you edited the right cache. The beta cache was in hidden folders on both Win7 and OS X for me while the live cache was not (at least on OS X).

09-05-10, 10:45 AM   #6
DNBRMG
A Murloc Raider
Found the Fix for XP Systems

Replicating the Win Vista/7 program data paths did not work on an XP system; not too surprised as it was a long shot to be gin with. However a quick hard drive search did uncover the cache path for XP based installs.

The path to the Battle.net cache on an XP system is as follows:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache
And for reference the same path on a Vista/7 system is as follows:
Program Data/Blizzard Entertainment/Battle.net/Cache
The solution is to either delete the Battle.net cache entirely and allow the game to try and recreate it on next launch or replace the Battle.net cache with one from a functioning installation, a copy of which can be found at the link below.
Working Battle.net Cache

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Cataclysm Beta » Fixes for login troubles