07-15-10, 04:36 PM   #21
Neuro
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Understood, but it's not like a few people were going to skew the results of testing.

At least it turns out I was wrong on the pet bar thing, it's supposed to not be there till lvl 10, which is weird cause it WAS there at lvl 1.

07-15-10, 04:38 PM   #22
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Shouldn't you get a pet bar at level 1 seeing as warlocks get their first demon at level 1 ? If hunter's aren't supposed to it could be because they haven't separated the pet bar class test yet as from memory the tests were combined to show the bar.

07-15-10, 04:43 PM   #23
p3lim
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I didnt get a pet bar until lvl 13 on my hunter, most likely a bug

07-15-10, 05:35 PM   #24
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I just got my pet bar on my hunter at level 10. You learn a skill from your trainer called Control Pet (has the icon that Train Pet has/had). Use the skill, and you'll get your pet bar, and it will turn to "passive" in your spellbook.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-19-10, 10:44 AM   #25
dr_AllCOM3
A Cyclonian

Blizzard will enable addons very late, maybe a few weeks before the release.

07-19-10, 09:56 PM   #26
Taroven
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by dr_AllCOM3 View Post
Blizzard will enable addons very late, maybe a few weeks before the release.
That's what I fear.

Hopefully they'll at least enable /run sooner than that.

07-30-10, 11:23 AM   #27
ccox
A Fallenroot Satyr
Guesstimates

If Blizzard wants to ship a working app, they need to get their Lua code tested -- and the easiest way to do that is to disable third party addons. But they also need to make sure that their APIs work, that the Lua interpreter doesn't have any new bugs, and that most major addons will work when the product is delivered.

It is also possible that addons are currently disabled because Blizzard knows about bugs/incomplete code in their API, and are waiting for those to be resolved.

So, my best guess is that they'll wait until after feature complete to enable third party addons. Of course, "feature complete" for a game is a fuzzy concept -- but they can't wait until the last few weeks. Enabling addons late in testing would greatly increase the risk of shipping with crashing bugs in the APIs and Lua interpreter (yes, both have happened before), much less breaking addons that many of their customers have come to rely on (which also causes some loss of reputation for Blizzard).

08-07-10, 10:14 AM   #28
KanadiaN
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
My favorite bug report so far was "Try to fly over Dire Maul - you'll be force-dismounted and die."
This was a good one. There is a spot in STV as well... it was like "OH cool face dive time"

08-07-10, 12:28 PM   #29
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Originally Posted by ccox View Post
If Blizzard wants to ship a working app, they need to get their Lua code tested -- and the easiest way to do that is to disable third party addons. But they also need to make sure that their APIs work, that the Lua interpreter doesn't have any new bugs, and that most major addons will work when the product is delivered.
It's also possible they might be taking this chance to put a new version of the Lua interpreter in

*crosses fingers for no reason other then wanting new addon related shininess*

Take a look at your Data folder for your Live world of warcraft folder and compare it to beta - they've changed how the MPQ files are set up. As well as changing some sound files - I've done a partial unpack of certain MPQ files and found Ogg Vorbis files
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

08-07-10, 03:34 PM   #30
IQgryn
A Cyclonian
Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
It's also possible they might be taking this chance to put a new version of the Lua interpreter in
As far as I know, they're using a slightly modified 5.1, which is the latest stable version of Lua. As neat as it would be to get 5.2, which is on it's fourth iteration (fourth alpha I think?), I don't think they'd ship an incomplete version of Lua.

(Sorry to burst your bubble)

08-09-10, 08:06 AM   #31
BethinkWoW
Premium Member
That is correct. The Lua team at PUC-Rio just announced the release of Lua 5.2 (work4) a few days ago on the Lua list. I would be surprised to see Lua 5.2 make it into WoW 4.x. But one never knows :-)

08-09-10, 08:31 AM   #32
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by BethinkWoW View Post
That is correct. The Lua team at PUC-Rio just announced the release of Lua 5.2 (work4) a few days ago on the Lua list. I would be surprised to see Lua 5.2 make it into WoW 4.x. But one never knows :-)
Don't even joke about that.

08-09-10, 10:12 AM   #33
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by IQgryn View Post
As far as I know, they're using a slightly modified 5.1, which is the latest stable version of Lua. As neat as it would be to get 5.2, which is on it's fourth iteration (fourth alpha I think?), I don't think they'd ship an incomplete version of Lua.

(Sorry to burst your bubble)
We are ?

Oh well forgot about a new intpreter then. I just googled Lua5.2 to see if there were any advantages of upgrading and there doesn't appear to be so any far. I'm reading a page of 55 changes. Wouldn't that push back updating addons for 2-3 months ?

Maybe it was me reacting to a new buzzword and wanting everything to have that buzzword in it despite there being no basis of any advantages of doing so.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

08-09-10, 12:14 PM   #34
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by VincentSDSH View Post
Don't even joke about that.
Caching of lua closures looks very very nice, as does the changes to xpcall which would definitely make CallbackHandler simpler.

Although I would probably eat my hat if they were to update the interpreter.

Last edited by Slakah : 08-09-10 at 12:26 PM.

08-09-10, 12:30 PM   #35
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
Caching of lua closures looks very very nice, as does the changes to xpcall which would definitely make CallbackHandler simpler.
It'd be nice to have a bird that sang opera and crapped gold, too, but let's deal with reality for a moment: it'll be surprising if they get the alpha code they're calling 'beta' in a shippable form by the date they've decided to market and ship it. After the Wrath bugs they tossed into the apis -- supposedly unmodified ones -- I can only shudder to think of the fun of tracking down bugs in a new, alpha-level, interpreter on top of that.

Stable and tested 5.2 code + post-Cata patch = 2000% better chance of successful inclusion.

08-19-10, 04:50 PM   #36
ricks322
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
So any thoughts about the fact there is now an UI & Macros Forum in the Beta Forums? Maybe closer to getting a chance to test some addon's?

08-19-10, 05:09 PM   #37
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by ricks322 View Post
So any thoughts about the fact there is now an UI & Macros Forum in the Beta Forums? Maybe closer to getting a chance to test some addon's?
What UI & Macros forums in the beta forums ?

Lies !!!!! There is no U- *checks*

oh wait

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/bo...orumId=9043419

No updates yet about it from Blizz. No annoucements about it anywhere just *a forum appears*

08-19-10, 10:18 PM   #38
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
For the Blizzard UI and in-game macros?

They have really been pushing for testing and feedback on all the changes in the UI, afterall.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-21-10, 05:57 PM   #39
kip
A Murloc Raider
Blizz Quote:

For now, we're still focused on getting feedback on the implemented interface changes. We're not ready to reenable addons just yet but felt that it was appropriate to open this forum to better direct the feedback we've been seeing.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...96129&sid=2000

08-21-10, 08:31 PM   #40
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

Originally Posted by ricks322 View Post
Closer, yes, but still a ways out; I did hear they enabled macros but I can't confirm it (the new downloader method and my network don't get along well )

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Cataclysm Beta » AddOns Enabled...ETA?