06-11-09, 07:22 AM   #1
Kurly
A Fallenroot Satyr
Vista64 problem?

I'm using Vista Home Premium 64 and nUI has been working fine till this morning.
I noticed that Windows had rebooted my machine overnight to install some updates.

I started WOW and tried to log into one of my characters. The progress bar would go all the way full, then WOW would stop responding and I would have to kill the task.

I disabled all my add-ons and was able to get into the toon. I enabled nUI and was not able to get in. WOW stopped responding again. I selected another toon and left all the add-ins enabled except nUI. I was able to get in.

nUI appears to be the problem. I am using the most current release. I'm not sure what changed in VIsta 64, but it appears nUI does not like it.

06-11-09, 07:58 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
WoW..

However, it looks like the vista 32 update I downloaded the other day seems to be working fine .. so what on earth is different between the two versions apart from the 32 bit and 64 bit

All I can think of ( I spoke to my more PC expert of a brother ) is perhaps a memory thing as we all know nUI takes quite a bit more memory usage during game play. My brother can't think of a reason why vista 32 and vista 64 would react differently if at all in regards to addons in a game.

06-11-09, 08:12 AM   #3
byteasc
A Cyclonian
Addons shouldn't/don't have that kind of power over the system, unless theres a flaw in some of Blizzards LUA hooks (which we know Blizzard is perfect!)

Theres no difference between the two running, since even under Vista 64, WOW still runs in a 32 bit emulated mode so to the game, it is no different. I was having issues last night on Windows 7 x64, but it was because of some issues with battlegrounds, thus my character was stuck in limbo for a few minutes.

06-11-09, 08:38 AM   #4
Kurly
A Fallenroot Satyr
It could very well be something with my system. I have not been happy with Vista 64 since I got this machine 6 months ago. Thinking of upgrading it to Windows 7.

06-11-09, 09:05 AM   #5
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yeah .. most of my family are already using the release candidate version that you can download. I'll hold out a bit longer though, until they've made sure the more scary bugs don't occur

06-11-09, 09:08 AM   #6
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Yeah --

I can't see where there would be anything in nUI that would matter at all to an update and if there was a bug in it that was locking WoW up on load, everyone would be screaming at me. I suspect it's a problem in WoW with regard to running in emulated mode on a 64bit Vista. First thought the comes to mine is memory access... it's probably blowing up a memory pointer or running out of accessible memory and locking up WoW

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

06-11-09, 10:01 AM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Yeah .. most of my family are already using the release candidate version that you can download. I'll hold out a bit longer though, until they've made sure the more scary bugs don't occur
You should give 7 a try on VirtualBox /nods

06-11-09, 10:47 AM   #8
worridor
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit on 2 computers full time and haven't had any issues with WoW, Bioshock, Crysis, LotR blah blah blah. (knocks on wood )

06-11-09, 04:09 PM   #9
Toadstool
A Fallenroot Satyr

well, I'm running 64 bit vista and I'm not having any problems.

06-11-09, 05:19 PM   #10
ThaOne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
well, I'm running 64 bit vista and I'm not having any problems.
Same. I use Vista Business 64 bit

06-11-09, 05:48 PM   #11
Kurly
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Yeah --

I can't see where there would be anything in nUI that would matter at all to an update and if there was a bug in it that was locking WoW up on load, everyone would be screaming at me. I suspect it's a problem in WoW with regard to running in emulated mode on a 64bit Vista. First thought the comes to mine is memory access... it's probably blowing up a memory pointer or running out of accessible memory and locking up WoW

I just back leveled to the April release and it is working fine now

06-11-09, 06:43 PM   #12
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

I run vista 64 and nUI I haven't had any issues

06-12-09, 08:45 AM   #13
Kurly
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
You should give 7 a try on VirtualBox /nods
I looked at VirtualBox but I'm uncertain about using it. It appears that it is installed and runs under your existing operating system. Since I have concerns about my Vista 64 system being unstable, I fear running Virtualbox in Vista 64 would exacerbate that problem.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » Vista64 problem?