10-26-08, 01:08 AM   #1
SumRGai
A Murloc Raider
Hunter Addons - Viper & Tracking reminders, Pet Ability Button (Solved!)

I have 3 problems right now playing my hunter, all of which could be solved by small but oh-so-useful addons. I apologize if any of these requests are repeats, but a quick scan of the previous 10 or so pages did not reveal anything.

1) An addon to notify you in a nice, extremely obvious way, when you should be using Aspect of the Viper (mana regeneration). Hopefully allowing the user to set the minimum and maximum barriers, to account for personal preference. While the addon "cAspectOfTheViper" (located here) does let you know when you have AotV on, it isn't quite obvious enough, and doesn't tell you to activate or deactivate it. This sounds like it would be possible with a custom event in Scrolling Combat Text, but a quick search didn't result in anything useful.

2) A small addon that gives you a single button to place the special pet abilities in, which can be bound to a key, and remembers different abilities for your different pets. For example, Roar of sacrifice for your bear, call of the wild for your wolf, and Roar of recovery for your other pet. This SOUNDS like it could be done with a very complex macro, but several look-throughs of Cogwheel's guide to macros doesn't reveal anything. If I've missed something obvious, please inform me.

Thank you very much for your time.

Oops! I forgot one more that's been bugging me...
3) An addon that will yell at you when you are attacking a mob that you can track, but are not actively tracking. For use with the survival talent Improved Tracking. This one is VERY easy to forget about, and a reminder addon would be perfect. Possible options would be for the addon to only notify you on certain levels of creatures (bosses), or only in instances.

Last edited by SumRGai : 10-27-08 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Added number 3.
10-26-08, 03:56 AM   #2
Sekrin
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
  1. Most of the floating text addons (SCT, Parrot and also MSBT I believe) will flash a "low mana" warning across your screen at a levely you can set. Not sure about Blizzard's FT, but I think it can do it too.
  2. I don't know of any addon that can do this, but you might be able to create a macro with just a long list of "/cast x" in it. You'll get spammed with errors for the abilities other pets use, but it should, in theory, work.
  3. Don't know of any.
10-26-08, 04:02 AM   #3
Sekrin
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Update: A quick look in the Hunter Addons section of this site put me directly onto cTrackingReminder
10-26-08, 01:10 PM   #4
SumRGai
A Murloc Raider
Thanks very much for the tip on cTrackingReminder! I've also found another addon that seems to do tasks #1 and #3 at the same time, called AutoAspect. I haven't tested it out yet, but it looks very promising.

About problem #2, I'm rather astonished you can simply get the results through a multiple-line /cast macro. Is there still a script command out there to disable LUA errors for the duration of the macro? I've looked around a bit (mostly in the macro guide I posted earlier) and haven't found anything.

A little more looking around has revealed that I can, in fact, get a macro do do something different depending on what pet family I have active at the moment. The macro I've written looks a lot like...
#show
#showtooltip
/cast [pet:Wolf] Call of the Wild
/cast [pet:Bear] [target=focus, exists] [target=player] Roar of Sacrifice
/cast [pet:Wind Serpent] Roar of Recovery
/cast [pet:Warp Stalker] [target=pettarget] Taunt

It seems to work rather well, though I haven't tested it with my warp stalker yet, and there seems to be a (known) targeting bug with pets casting roar of sacrifice or intervine through macros.

Thank you all very much for your help! My hunter isn't held back any longer by these simple limitations.

Last edited by SumRGai : 10-27-08 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Added the successful macro
10-26-08, 01:49 PM   #5
JaceDaAce
A Black Drake

For the aspect thing there is a addon called autoaspect that warns you at 30% mana to switch to viper aspect and puts a huge ass button in the middle of the screen for you to click and when you get to 85% mana to switch to hawk aspect which of course you guessed it puts a huge ass button in the middle of the screen lol
10-30-08, 02:53 PM   #6
Gorebag
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Yep, AutoAspect will take care of #1 and #3 for you... #3 more so than your description, as it will switch tracking types automatically.

I just updated it to allow for UI Error Frame or SCT output through MSBT, SCT, and Parrot too.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Hunter Addons - Viper & Pet Ablilties