12-13-10, 01:28 PM   #1
kylejdb
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

tga vs blp

ive noticed that tga format is used for images in this addon. the result is that theres no transparency so all the icons have to be square. just wondering why blizz's blp format isnt being used. it would allow things such as the track button on the quest watch list look muuuch better.

12-13-10, 04:56 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
.tga allows for transparency. It just needs to have an alpha layer and be saved as a 32-bit .tga.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-13-10, 05:48 PM   #3
kylejdb
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

i was under the impression that unless its a blp file the game engine ignores/cant handle alpha layers.. incorrect?
edit: i also just noticed that the hud arrow can change colors alot depending on the color behind it in the 3-d world. im pretty sure this is due to using alpha blending with the tga's alpha channel rather than the additive blending available with blp textures.
edit: so yeah i guess i was incorrect about that. since i just saw for myself that wow can handle alpha layers in tga files. so i think ima get to work makin my own icon files cuz i hate these ugly square icons everywhere on my map and quest tracker .

Last edited by kylejdb : 12-13-10 at 06:15 PM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » tga vs blp