02-20-13, 05:52 PM   #1
eiresurg
A Defias Bandit
Share Carbonite Notes

Is it possible to share Carbonite map notes. For example, if I mapped all the locations of rare elites in Pandoria, can I share that with others so they don't have to go through the painstaking process? If so, how? And is there a place on the web where people are doing this already?

02-20-13, 08:58 PM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
it's coming soon (tm) when I overhaul the notes system, i'm going to make it easy for people to link into the notes system, so people can make addons extremely easy for it.

For now no, there is no easy way.

02-21-13, 01:30 PM   #3
eiresurg
A Defias Bandit
thank you for the quick reply. i look forward to that change.

02-28-13, 01:06 PM   #4
Kreelor
A Firelord

Question

I'm curious and hopeful about whether or not the myriad Notes I created will be accessible to all of my characters -- even after updates and patches. Everytime I turn around, I no longer have the notes available and I have no idea how to "add them back into my game" again.

If the Notes could be a separate file (which I could back-up) and then "paste" it back into some folder (or, whatever) location, that would be fine.

Can that be done?

It takes HOURS to create the ones I want to keep and use (so that each of my char's will display them). It's a pain to re-create them, redundantly.

02-28-13, 01:33 PM   #5
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
in the current alpha release people are testing notes are already account wide, so every character shares them.

It is also a seperate file, Carbonite.Notes.lua in your saved variables so it is easy to backup.

However I wouldn't jump on the alpha just for it, because while right now you can import notes to it, soon it's going the called carbonite2 instead of carbonite and I have no plans (at least for now, we'll see ><) of maintaining a carbonite section of carbonite2 just for backwards compatability (ie access to NxData in carbonite.lua saved variables)

02-28-13, 04:41 PM   #6
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
in the current alpha release people are testing notes are already account wide, so every character shares them.

It is also a seperate file, Carbonite.Notes.lua in your saved variables so it is easy to backup.

However I wouldn't jump on the alpha just for it, because while right now you can import notes to it, soon it's going the called carbonite2 instead of carbonite and I have no plans (at least for now, we'll see ><) of maintaining a carbonite section of carbonite2 just for backwards compatability (ie access to NxData in carbonite.lua saved variables)
Thank you!!!

Just so I can be clear on what you said...

After Carbonite2 becomes finalized and released, are you saying that none of the Notes we've created can be inserted (somehow) into the new, released version? Do we have to start over again?

Sorry, but if I ask now, I and others may not have to ask again after the release.

02-28-13, 05:46 PM   #7
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
that's correct, if I kept the name Carbonite I could do an upgrade path which is why there is one now, but the moment I rename everything to Carbonite2, I no longer have that ability unless I create a dummy addon for Carbonite2 called Carbonite which let you access the old settings. I'm still going back and forth over if it's worth it or not to do so.

03-02-13, 02:59 AM   #8
ozzydreamer
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

That is FANTASTIC news! I can't wait for this new release. I hope I can hold out on reinstalling WoW until this new release comes out, as I am in dire need of uninstalling wow and reinstalling it completely...maybe even a hard drive format. If a small donation would help speed things up, I can see what I can do. It would be well worth the investment.

03-07-13, 02:51 PM   #9
eiresurg
A Defias Bandit
so people can make addons extremely easy for it.
so, it will require an addon? it would be nice to be able to just share favorites somehow. the carbonite users would be a "force".

03-13-13, 07:56 AM   #10
Squishery
A Murloc Raider
To "convert" / "import" notes from Carbonite to Carbonite2, wouldnt it just be a matter of editing some of the (Carbonite) lua files in notepad? ...or is that completely off base?
I also have notes from Carbonite that I would like to be able to access in Carbonite 2, and am capable of editing a few lines of text and getting the files into the appropriate directories.

Great add-on, and Im curious to see how the modular approach improves Carbonites potential scope.
Thanks again.

03-13-13, 11:56 AM   #11
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
if I released it the way it is, yes that would work... but the current notes don't support dungeon levels which is noticable if you try and create a note in the shrine, it will pop up in the shrine and out in the valley. So i plan on rewriting the notes system.

04-28-14, 09:31 PM   #12
Designadrug
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Rythal (and team), I really hope this is a redundant suggestion for Carbonite2 but...

If the NOTES and NODES databases (I would be surprised if the two systems aren't effectively the same thing) are upgraded to a plaintext format and given simple import/export support then Carbonite users would be able to SHARE them (and hand-modify them) very easily. This could also allow the modularisation of the notes and bookmarks databases themselves e.g. for world events or whatever.

Regards,

Designadrug

04-29-14, 08:12 PM   #13
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
They already are

Notes was turned into plaintext first, and already some folks have started creating addons which plug into carbonite notes to add holiday things, or timeless isle chests etc.

Nodes was done in the last release I just did, when I dumped carbonite nodes and moved to gathermate data.

04-29-14, 11:50 PM   #14
Designadrug
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
So a redundant suggestion then... sorry!

05-08-14, 08:29 PM   #15
Designadrug
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Here's another suggestion for notes... one that is probably more trouble than its worth (I really hate programming graphics myself).

Being able to link two notes into a vector so that we can bookmark paths.

For example I used to have a huge series of bookmarks that I made by flying above the Fel Reaver in Hellfire Peninsula which basically mapped-out its path in a series of purple diamonds. Being able to string those together into a connected set of vectors, would have been excellent (not that it would have provided much extra functionality). I probably would have also created paths on either side of the main to indicate aggro radius and thus explicitly define a "where you have to keep looking over your shoulder" zone.

I'd probably also use it for marking the trails on Mts Neverest and Kota and the back-way into Tian monastery.

07-15-14, 06:33 AM   #16
Designadrug
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
They already are

Notes was turned into plaintext first, and already some folks have started creating addons which plug into carbonite notes to add holiday things, or timeless isle chests etc.

Nodes was done in the last release I just did, when I dumped carbonite nodes and moved to gathermate data.
I've been looking through the Carbonite tree and I can't find any files concerning stored notes that I can identify as plaintext. There is a clearly labelled CandyBuckets.lua file which I thought was the sample file but the data inside is anything but plaintext - sure it may be ascii but it is not presented in a human readable form.

Sorry about another dumb question but can someone direct me to where in the Carbonite tree the plaintext notes database files are?

07-15-14, 09:53 AM   #17
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Designadrug View Post
I've been looking through the Carbonite tree and I can't find any files concerning stored notes that I can identify as plaintext. There is a clearly labelled CandyBuckets.lua file which I thought was the sample file but the data inside is anything but plaintext - sure it may be ascii but it is not presented in a human readable form.

Sorry about another dumb question but can someone direct me to where in the Carbonite tree the plaintext notes database files are?
To see a few examples of plugins you can make using the new notes system, take a look at my addon list..

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...or-299707.html

Example:-
Nx.Notes:AddonNote("Isle of Thunder - Rares","Al'tabim the All-Seeing",2,928,44.8,29.4)

means (" note title"," tooltip", icon, zone(found in zones.lua), x co-ord, y co-ord)

Edit, The stored notes you are looking for is in the saved variables folder..

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Share Carbonite Notes