04-02-09, 04:30 AM   #1
Luzzifus
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Carbonite Quest

Greetings,

I am using Carbonite (the full version) for some time now, before that I used Carbonite Quest (the free version). Now there's a ton of stuff in the big version I don't need or just don't want to have. There's also some stuff that simply annoys me and I can't turn it off. E.g. the automatic map zooming when I'm on a flight path. When landing the map is zoomed in so far that I don't see anything and always have to zoom out manually. This is just an example, but the old Carbonite Quest was just fine for my needs, it had everything I need.

However it's not updated anymore, is it? Is there any chance we could get an updated version of Carbonite Quest?

Thanks in advance,
Luzzifus.

04-02-09, 06:32 AM   #2
Prismatech
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

hi
i think that can self stearing offer the options what you will use the new is only the pro but free.

04-02-09, 08:51 AM   #3
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Prismatech View Post
hi
i think that can self stearing offer the options what you will use the new is only the pro but free.
Could somebody translate that to english?

04-02-09, 09:27 AM   #4
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Luzzifus View Post
Greetings,

However it's not updated anymore, is it? Is there any chance we could get an updated version of Carbonite Quest?

Thanks in advance,
Luzzifus.
Carbonite and Carbonite Quest came from the same code base. The differences between the two were mostly some UI that was disabled in Carbonite Quest. Most of those build differences have been stripped from the code as we adapt to the new addon policies, so we don't actually have the ability to make a Carbonite Quest build anymore.

Unchecking the Auto Scale button in the top right corner of the map may help.

We want Carbonite to be as modular as is practical. Disabling features will have to go on the todo list and will be done based on the level of user interest and the time we have for the project, which will vary based on the level of donations we receive, since Carbonite employees are switching to a part time basis.

04-02-09, 12:03 PM   #5
Luzzifus
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Thank you so far, I'm looking forward to more feature disable options.

Something totally different:

I upgraded to Carbonite 3.0 today and started leveling my Shaman. Somehow my WoW Client crashed about every 20-30 minutes. No errors, no messages, just a total freeze. I always needed to hit the reset button and reboot. After 4 or 5 times I downgraded to Carbonite 2.59 and it didn't happen again (played about 3 more hours). Sorry I can't give you any more details, I'm not even sure it's caused directly by Carbonite.

Last edited by Luzzifus : 04-02-09 at 12:05 PM.

04-02-09, 12:16 PM   #6
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Luzzifus View Post
Thank you so far, I'm looking forward to more feature disable options.

I upgraded to Carbonite 3.0 today and started leveling my Shaman. Somehow my WoW Client crashed about every 20-30 minutes. No errors, no messages, just a total freeze. I always needed to hit the reset button and reboot. After 4 or 5 times I downgraded to Carbonite 2.59 and it didn't happen again (played about 3 more hours). Sorry I can't give you any more details, I'm not even sure it's caused directly by Carbonite.
Get 3.001 which fixes it.

Sorry about that.

Last edited by carboniteaddon : 04-02-09 at 01:08 PM.

04-02-09, 12:29 PM   #7
front243
Premium Member
Premium Member
Ah, getting an update

Froze twice for me, had to Ctrl+Alt+Del and kill the WoW process

Was afraid it was hardware related, but glad to hear it isn't

04-02-09, 03:05 PM   #8
VincentSDSH
Non-Canadian Luzer!

I'd have to agree with Luzzifus. The full version of Carbonite is just way more than I want or need, Carbonite Quest was perfect: filled a niche, did it's thing, didn't get in the way of anything else.

The full version has numerous things that I don't want and don't need (why I never purchased it in the first place) and I'd dearly love to be able to disable them. At present, I can't even run Carbonite b/c of how it takes control of minimap icon positions them in damned annoying places -- I already have code that positions them where I want them -- and I can't find a way to disable that feature.

Please. Modules. I beg you.

04-02-09, 03:40 PM   #9
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Vincent, take a look in the options menu under Map and Minimap. I cannot remember which one off the top of my head, but there is an option to disable Carbonites ability to control your minimap buttons. Hope that helps resolve your issue.

Vis

04-02-09, 04:24 PM   #10
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Full Carbonite does have a tendency to hijack everything at first, but you can remove almost all of it again. Just go through the options.

04-02-09, 04:46 PM   #11
wreck
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

That brings up a question for me. I alluded to it in my other post on the 3.00 announcement. Is the monolithic nature of the code actually how you develop? I have to imagine (hope really) that you have modular code and as part of the obfuscation process you flatten it to a single .lua file. Is that the case? Or do you actually only have the one big file?

It would be great if you have Carbonite code laid out in a modular fashion to release it that way so people could look at yanking the sections they find intrusive. For their own personal use of course

If I'm wrong, and you are going to dash my hopes by saying that really is the way the code is laid out. I will wait for your modularization process. Which is obviously badly needed.

04-02-09, 06:02 PM   #12
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Still a problem with 3.01

I read that 3.0 caused crashes, so i tried out 3.01 - there still seems to be a problem.

Every time I kill a mob, the interface freezes a fraction of a second (but enough to be annoying) - removing 3.01 and putting 2.59 back removed that freezing.

(Also, the cartographer 3/carbonite warning, how about getting it just once for the account instead of for all characters...)

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite Quest