02-24-12, 12:57 PM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

Question Have Developers given up on Carbonite?

I'm wondering if the Carboniteaddon Developers have all but given up on this product. A few reasons why I think they may have:

* Many outstanding (major) bug issues have gone unaddressed, for over a year.

-- A primary example is the Carbonite "Guide" (the red question mark). Its failure to work properly is what prompted me to write this topic. No matter which zone I'm standing in, the "Guide" points me to some obscure location thousands of miles away on different continents. And, that's only when it does anything at all! Most of the time, it has no effect when clicking on the icons. Apparently, the "Carbonite Guide" is of little importance to most other Carbonite users and/or the Developers. Otherwise, it would be working.

-- The minimap doesn't have options for and/or show icons on it, just as the large map does. And, even the large one doesn't always show what it should (like the "Blizzard" minimap). YEARS AGO, THEY BOTH USED TO! (By the way, I know both maps are based upon Blizzard's mapping system. But, that still doesn't explain why the minimaps don't reveal things equally).

-- I've noticed that hardly anyone posts on the forums anymore. Have the Developers stopped updating this addon because so many people have stopped playing WoW? Just because some people have lost interest in the game, that doesn't mean everyone has. I still love the Carboniteaddon, but it seems to be dying right along with WoW, itself.

Anyway, I'd certainly like to HEAR FROM A DEVELOPER about the issues I've mentioned.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Haavok wrote the following comment in July of 2011. So far, the "content" he mentioned still hasn't been added.

...because the guide hasn't been updated yet for the new content. The next release will add class & profession trainers for all cities.

03-10-12, 06:12 AM   #2
eqsanctum
The Great Equalizer

Premium Member
Meh. I think you're mistaken, they fix the bugs that crop up, other then that what do you expect them to do? They don't get "paid" for their services, they get donations. Which to date, are far less then when it was a paid addon. Honestly, IMO leave em alone. If they want to let it die then let them. If not then awesome.

Sorry man, nothing personal, Im just sick and tired of reading about gamers in general griping about anything free anymore.

03-10-12, 01:57 PM   #3
Kreelor
A Firelord

They may fix a "few" bugs, but many others still remain. I pointed out a couple of them, in my original post. Those are important issues to me. Even Carbonite's own advertisement says, (paraphrased by me) -- "... if Blizzard's maps show it, then Carbonite will show it, too!". That is no longer a true statement.

I'd donate too, and much more than I have in the past, if I could only believe it wouldn't just 'vanish' somewhere without any serious improvements.

I have always loved this addon, and I have great respect for those geniouses who developed it. There's nothing else like it available, that I know of. I think it would be a terrible shame to have it fade away, after all the work that has been done to make it what it is. WoW has changed, but the addon authors haven't kept up with those changes. And, I understand why. It's not the main focus of their lives, and WoW itself is no longer as popular with as many people as it used to be. I still think it's one of the best games ever created for a PC, and I play it all the time. I'm 'house-bound' due to illness, so having this game is entertainment for me.

I understand your point. I merely wish that if they're going to let it die, that at least before then they could fix some of the more outstanding issues.

The Zygor Leveling Guide is one that charges for its use. I paid for it. I would gladly pay for this Carbonite Addon, if the developers found a LEGAL way to offer it, just as Zygor does. Zygor's meets Blizzard's legal requirements.

Anyway, unless I speak up, the Carbonite team members won't know that I really do love their work, and I continue hoping that they won't let it all vanish. If they do, well.... then, that will be the end of an exciting era!

03-31-12, 02:45 PM   #4
Ocean
Premium Member

Premium Member
WoW isn't dying. My server still has tons of people on it and I never have trouble getting a croup or a raid. The doom and gloom is overrated.

The latest version of Carbonite is still working fine for me for what I use it for, so am not too worried about updates. Could be they are in the beta and looking in that direction as far as updates etc.

04-03-12, 11:36 AM   #5
Tithulta
A Black Drake

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I worry that it's dying, it is absolutely THE best MAP addon out there. nothing else comes close to the scalability. Quest tracker still works in most cases, though obviously some data for the newer stuff is missing. Unless blizzard breaks something that in turns breaks Carbonite I'm fine with no updates til Mist of Pandaren. If they aren't planning to support it in the near or distant future....well that will make me very sad. I paid for 3 subscriptions for the addon back in the day. Sadly I would love to pay them even now, just can't afford it. i'm sure their personal lives have been hurt with blizzards stance on Paid addons. I disagree with them on that point to this day. Carbonite was born from it, and outstanding addons like it will never exist as "Free" addons. You get serviceable addons, some mighty good addons like NUI, auctioneer, gatherer, recount, and countless others that thousands if not millions have used, currently use and can't live without. Come back to carbonite when its updated, or not, no one forces you to use it. Blizzards default UI isn't horrible, just unrefined. Have a good day and happy questing.

Last edited by Tithulta : 04-03-12 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling and clarification

04-05-12, 06:03 PM   #6
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
One thing I do wish they would remove is the damn prompt about updating.

04-07-12, 12:26 PM   #7
g0rg0n
A Defias Bandit

Or at least an option to make the update nag go away.

04-09-12, 10:49 PM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If you want to make the "nag message" go away, please see This Thread.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

04-24-12, 06:26 AM   #9
drakar76
A Kobold Labourer
The future of Carboninte

I too would also donate again or even subscribe to this wonderful addon. I finally have an income again after 2+ years. I am reluctant, however, to donate if there is no future for this addon. It would be a sad day indeed if it did die.

04-24-12, 02:52 PM   #10
Temptress
A Fallenroot Satyr
New update / donation model

I wonder if it would be possible to keep Carbonite updated on a one to one basis. If a player sends a small monthly donation they would get a regularly updated carbonite; there would be no need to solicit donations, just send the person that donates the new files. I think a monthly donation works best, if you want the updates you send another payment.

Just a thought, what do you think?

04-25-12, 11:05 AM   #11
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Temptress View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to keep Carbonite updated on a one to one basis. If a player sends a small monthly donation they would get a regularly updated carbonite; there would be no need to solicit donations, just send the person that donates the new files. I think a monthly donation works best, if you want the updates you send another payment.

Just a thought, what do you think?
Interesting thought, but I think the key word in your comment is the word "IF a player sends a small monthly donation."

To me, that then becomes a "paid" program (addon) by definition. And, what about the forum support for those who got the updates? Wouldn't that raise a rukus for those who did not 'donate?'

In my opinion, the developers have probably lost all interest in continued updates to this addon -- paid or not. Otherwise, if they cared about their product and/or its user base, they would have posted some sort of explanation long ago. That's the least they could have done a year ago, or even at this point, instead of leaving us to guess and to beg for updates which won't ever come.

Hell, even the Herbalism 'route nodes' on the map are accurate only about 10% of the time!

I'm saving some money, just in case they surprise us with a fully-functional updated version.

06-22-12, 08:10 AM   #12
xmanii
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post

I'm saving some money, just in case they surprise us with a fully-functional updated version.

I wish this was reddit and I could upvote this!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Have Developers given up on Carbonite?