05-01-09, 01:21 PM   #1061
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Donnaterassi View Post
WM gets no love because they allow me no voice.
Personally I'm still waiting on wowmatrix's "response" to all this. They have a shining history of not answering emails from Curse,wowinterface and many authors.

Originally Posted by Donnaterassi View Post
**down to 68 mods and looking at cutting 12 more this week** **Donna's Diet Program...lose 12 mods a week (and survive)**
I've never been about cutting down the amount of addons you use.

I have 159 folders in my addons folder that when I take out Blizzard addons and addons that come all together in one mad I am left with 89 addons.

I have all my addons favourited on wowace, curse and wowinterface. I get email alerts about them every time the author posts a new version. I examine each email at a regular interval and depending on if it's a major or minor update I download an update.

I've been using this system since December 2008.

And you know what I've learnt ? Much of the updates I was downloading were only minor updates. New text in languages I don't play in. Tagging changes. Changes to features in addons I don't even use.

I also learned that , once stable, my addons don't update in major ways every day. Or even every week. Some will work perfectly fine through patchs with a minor TOC bump from the author.

Like it says in my sig. I update using this system about every week - . It takes me no longer than 15 -20 mins a week. I get maybe 3 addon update downloads.

No offense intended (to anyone involved in writing them) but I don't think I could go back to using a program to update my addons at all. Simply because I've weined myself off having to update every day. I'm only updating once per week and even that's too much. An addon updater program doesn't fit my needs.

Once your UI is stable (ie after patch day changes updates) you shouldn't need to update any of your addons for around 3 weeks or so.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
05-01-09, 01:23 PM   #1062
Donnaterassi
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by DonCorneo View Post
<snip>

I am willing to beta test if needed. I am good at doing the unexpected and down-right stupid thus finding problems/bugs.
This is ME too for sure and certain!

I would be honored to try and break your new toy.
(hear XT-002 Deconstructor saying, "I guess it isn't supposed to bend that way."
05-01-09, 01:43 PM   #1063
Donnaterassi
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
<snip>

This is something I'll never understand. Sure, I can understand "He runs no combat mods at all"... but there's so many wonderful things out there... junk sellers, onebags, invite acceptors, loot roll frames, buff reminders, item notes, minipet putter-outters, crafting helpers, chat enhancers, pally bubble music... What does running addonless prove? That you're more skilled, or that you have no backbone and can take what is forced upon you and living with it? Every person I've ever met that advertises that he doesn't use addons always seems to think that makes him a better person for it... ugh.
Tek, hon, you're preaching to the choir.

He has been playing since closed beta on a computer he built from trash for that purpose. I don't know how it's still running. He plays on a Sprint 3G card that I sent him. I don't know how he does what he does. He just does it.

I want to see him on a quad core, dual screen water cooled system and a hard line connection.

I don't think he thinks it makes him better. I think he is afraid to overtax an overburdened system futher.
05-01-09, 01:44 PM   #1064
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Oh, one of THOSE. He just needs to find the right mods then ^^
05-01-09, 02:09 PM   #1065
Rhaethe
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Saw it weeks ago ^^
I could have. But I'm one of those odd movie-goers that has a very short list of movies I want to see in the theatre *first*. If I could ever get the same screen / sound experience out of my compie as I can at a theatre, I might change my mind, though

He wasn't my top favorite (Beast and Wolvie for very obvious reasons), but he was way up there on my list.
Gambit, Wolvie, Psylocke, and Emma Frost top my list. Jubilee, Jean Grey, and Cyclops are around the bottom. And I have a love/hate relationship with Rogue.

But I digress. Sorry for derailing again!
05-01-09, 02:21 PM   #1066
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

I never got Jubilee... hey whole power is what, making fireworks? WTF?

Cyclops' physics never made sense to me, his eyeblasts burn AND have force... okey, sure... now, why do his eyelids not burn off? And why don't his glasses blow off (the "casual" ones, not his big wrap around headset). And why is it that everyone that somehow gets his power from him can control it, but he can't?

Jean Grey... I don't mind, my ***** there is that every time they bring in the phoenix it's a different damn story. One place it's just some pissed-off multiple personality, another it's some force that seeks telepaths as a "host" because it wants to be controlled... ugh, CONSISTENCY PEOPLE!

Rogue... yea I can never decide there. The old cartoon I liked her accent but hated everything else. The movies I like her. The new cartoon, I dunno she just looks weird.

Oh and Kurt, I like him because of his cute accent ^^
05-01-09, 02:23 PM   #1067
Kaelten
Jack's raging bile duct

Featured
And why is it that everyone that somehow gets his power from him can control it, but he can't?
iirc he can't control it due to a childhood illness.

Anyone that needs what they want
And doesn't want what they need
I want nothing to do with
05-01-09, 04:00 PM   #1068
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Cyclops' physics never made sense to me, his eyeblasts burn AND have force... okey, sure... now, why do his eyelids not burn off? And why don't his glasses blow off (the "casual" ones, not his big wrap around headset). And why is it that everyone that somehow gets his power from him can control it, but he can't?
It's because both he and his brother are immune to their own powers.

That's why you see Cyclops and Havok having titanic battles in the comics ...yet they walk away unscathed. It's like a gigantic pissing contest for them - they know each can not harm the other yet they go out at just for kicks.

Cyclops can't control his power because of brain damage he suffered from falling out of a plane when he was younger. It was the same incident where he was seperated from both his brother and his parents (who faked their own death to frolick over to johnny buzz buzz alien land).
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
05-01-09, 04:28 PM   #1069
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
And, yet again, let me remind you that in order for them to create a LEGAL OBLIGATION on me, they must meet the conditions for a mutual contract, including an Affirmative action on my part to agree to the contract, AND the contract must not be one-sided, and must otherwise meet the conditions of law as required.

Otherwise, all they can do with a passive agreement like that is use technological means to restrict my use of their service, but CANNOT allege breach of contract or other legal recourse.

A simple google search will bring up lots of case law on this point, do your research, or better yet, ask an attorney.

In any event, this back and forth is not getting anywhere. Show me a single case were a passive TOS resulted in a legal proceeding for breach of contract. Just one. Please.
05-01-09, 04:32 PM   #1070
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Jalandar View Post
In any event, this back and forth is not getting anywhere.
Indeed, that's why we're talking about X-men now. Get with the thread :P
05-01-09, 04:47 PM   #1071
Jalandar
A Cliff Giant
Indeed, that's why we're talking about X-men now. Get with the thread :P
I prefer not hijacking threads, and prefer to stay on topic.

Not that the moderators around here seem to mind though......
05-01-09, 04:52 PM   #1072
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Single-topic threads get VERY boring 20+ pages in.
05-01-09, 04:55 PM   #1073
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

So, if Wolverine and Rogue were to have a kid... would it be fair to say it would be like WM when it grows up? Sucking the life out of everything it touches and shredding every ounce of ethics an end user might have once had?

I dunno why, but Rogue has always been my favorite. If I had to choose a power, though, I'd choose Xavier's.
05-01-09, 04:58 PM   #1074
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
I prefer not hijacking threads, and prefer to stay on topic.

It depends. After 54 pages, a little bit of off-topic doesn't really bother me. If it gets too out of line or goes on for too long, I crack the whip and remind everyone to get back on topic. It's not the first time this thread has gone off topic for a little bit, but then goes back to being on topic. I expect it to happen again with the current hijack.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
05-01-09, 06:32 PM   #1075
Tuhljin
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

In any event, this back and forth is not getting anywhere. Show me a single case were a passive TOS resulted in a legal proceeding for breach of contract. Just one. Please.
I'm not a lawyer, but here are a couple things I dug up:

Register.com, Inc. v. Verio, Inc.
More importantly, the Court found that Register.com's Terms of Use created a binding contract between Verio and Register.com. The Court reached this conclusion notwithstanding the fact that (i) the user did not see the Terms of Use until after he had performed a search on the Whois database, and (ii) the user was not asked or required, after seeing the terms, to indicate an assent thereto by clicking on an "I agree" icon.
Court shuts down BoardFirst.com for violation of Web site terms of service
The first issue before the court was whether the “browsewrap” terms of service on the Southwest Web site, visible upon clicking a hyperlink at the bottom of the home page, constituted a valid contract between Southwest and BoardFirst. Those terms of service, among other things, prohibited using the Southwest site for anything other than personal, non-commercial purposes.

The court held that a valid contract existed.
05-01-09, 07:49 PM   #1076
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I nominate Tuhljin for King of the Forums, for his exemplary skill in providing facts and sources to hopefully bring a peaceful end to this long lived debate.

Long live the King!
05-01-09, 07:58 PM   #1077
Silh
A Fallenroot Satyr

This is something I'll never understand. Sure, I can understand "He runs no combat mods at all"... but there's so many wonderful things out there... junk sellers, onebags, invite acceptors, loot roll frames, buff reminders, item notes, minipet putter-outters, crafting helpers, chat enhancers, pally bubble music... What does running addonless prove? That you're more skilled, or that you have no backbone and can take what is forced upon you and living with it? Every person I've ever met that advertises that he doesn't use addons always seems to think that makes him a better person for it... ugh.
I'm an addon fanatic because I'm a coder at heart, but I must say I can understand this kind of sentiment, since I subscribe to it to some extent myself. There's always something to be said for keeping things simple. Not that playing WoW couldn't be made simpler with the help of some addons, but in the out-of-game stuff that one would have to do, little as it may be. In my case, it's a matter of when I move between computers (some of which do not belong to me), I don't want a totally different experience in-game when I do. There's probably other similar reasons as well.
05-01-09, 11:55 PM   #1078
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Do not take pot-shots at our beloved Dutchess of Awesome, or we, her minions, will band together and consume your soul.

Incidently, this thread is long over-due for a good hijacking, and I happen to be enjoying this one. If anyone says too much more about the movie, I won't have to pay a ticket to have seen it. *HINT!!*

05-02-09, 12:11 AM   #1079
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

And, yet again, let me remind you that in order for them to create a LEGAL OBLIGATION on me, they must meet the conditions for a mutual contract, including an Affirmative action on my part to agree to the contract, AND the contract must not be one-sided, and must otherwise meet the conditions of law as required.

Otherwise, all they can do with a passive agreement like that is use technological means to restrict my use of their service, but CANNOT allege breach of contract or other legal recourse.

A simple google search will bring up lots of case law on this point, do your research, or better yet, ask an attorney.

"While you are entitled to hold an uninformed opinion, you are not entitled to make stuff up and call it a valid argument."

I forget where I first saw that statement, but I thought it was appropriate.
05-02-09, 12:58 AM   #1080
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by Tuhljin View Post
Very interesting articles. Excellent research by the way. Informative stuff.

For those that don't want to read them they say simply this: When you use a sites services you enter in to a contract with that site that is in fact enforceable legally. Granted most sites may not take you to court over issues and would likely use electronic means. However this shows if they felt the need to take it that far there are legal precedents to back them up.

Like it or not you don't have to click any 'I agree' button to be bound by the TOS.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

Last edited by MidgetMage55 : 05-02-09 at 01:03 AM. Reason: elaboration

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » WoWInterface and Curse working together to help protect authors and other site-users