08-07-09, 08:48 AM   #1
Brouhaha
A Defias Bandit
How to update Carbonite without losing map notes.

Every time I pass by a mining ore I drop a map note on top of it and title it "Mine". This makes my carbonite map very useful when doing dailies because I can fly around the mining nodes on my map. When I update carbonite to a version compatible with the new patch, what can I do to save these map notes? I tried saving the .lua file, I forget which file specifically but then carbonite keeps messaging me saying it wants to update to newest version. Help me out guys.

08-07-09, 12:35 PM   #2
Jigain
A Molten Giant

First of all, check out the thread HERE to find out about Carbonite Nodes and its database of nearly all the nodes there are.

Second, as long as you don't touch the files in your WTF folder, all your settings are being brought into the new updates of the module. So don't worry.

08-09-09, 06:36 PM   #3
Brouhaha
A Defias Bandit
That is untrue. when I delete the old Carbonite in the Addons folder and replace it with the updated version, all my map notes disappear. I will look into what you linked though.

08-09-09, 11:36 PM   #4
Jigain
A Molten Giant

There was an issue with map notes in Carbonite version 3.2, where they were given a massive minus Y value, causing them to appear off the map... or in common terms, "disappeared". This was supposedly fixed in 3.21 though - do you have 3.2, or 3.21? Does it read 3.21 at the top of Carb's options window?

And as I mentioned, all addons save their data - settings, layouts, and in this case, map notes - to the WTF folder. It should still be there if you haven't touched it, regardless of whether you can see the notes or not.

08-10-09, 02:20 PM   #5
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
There was an issue with map notes in Carbonite version 3.2, where they were given a massive minus Y value, causing them to appear off the map... or in common terms, "disappeared". This was supposedly fixed in 3.21 though - do you have 3.2, or 3.21? Does it read 3.21 at the top of Carb's options window?

And as I mentioned, all addons save their data - settings, layouts, and in this case, map notes - to the WTF folder. It should still be there if you haven't touched it, regardless of whether you can see the notes or not.
And everytime things act buggy after an expansion we all wind up deleting the wtf file and loosing all that stuff. Mac users do not have the option of moving subfolders into the new ones like you do on window. We see very little of the folder structure you see in windows.

08-10-09, 03:35 PM   #6
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by OldHarry View Post
And everytime things act buggy after an expansion we all wind up deleting the wtf file and loosing all that stuff.
Why? So far - since patch 2.1 to be exact - I haven't had to delete my WTF folder once. Who's all? And why don't "all" just delete the files that are causing trouble, instead of the entire WTF folder?

Unfortunately, if you did delete your character's data, you've deleted your character's data. It can't be restored, unless it's still in your recycle bin.

Mac users do not have the option of moving subfolders into the new ones like you do on window.
I'm sorry, I didn't get that at all. Can you clarify what you mean?

08-10-09, 07:36 PM   #7
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Mac users do not have the option of moving subfolders into the new ones like you do on window. We see very little of the folder structure you see in windows.

Macs can't back up a folder?
Mac's can't just rename a folder to hide it from WoW?

Wow .. guess it's time for them to update their OS.

I don't use a Mac and have yet to spend any real time on one except at an Apple store but there HAS to be a way to see the folder structure like one does in Windows. It may be hidden in some form to prevent new users from messing things up but if that is the case there has to be some "advanced user" options. Or something.

Last edited by Sepioth : 08-10-09 at 07:38 PM.

08-30-09, 08:42 AM   #8
DrivenOG
A Kobold Labourer
Thumbs up Notes in WTF Folder

Thanks Jigain, I've been wondering how to get my notes back and u were right. Thank God I save my WTF folders =-]). I copied an one back to my WOW folder and Bam!! I got my carbonite notes back.. =-]) Thanks again

08-30-09, 01:49 PM   #9
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Glad to be of service, young padawan. May the Notes be with you.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » How to update Carbonite without losing map notes.