03-19-10, 01:14 AM   #21
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
Thanks Cairenn,

I looked it up and located the EU equivalent. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...1L0029:EN:HTML At present they are quickly taking them down as they appear and repeatedly trying to get me to use them as another host to download from

For now I will keep an eye on it.
If you need a cease and desist template, you can get a free one from R.I.G.H.T.S (Redistribution In Graphics Has To Stop).. they've been around for 10 years or so. If you look on their Examples page you can find a few templates to use (these are the vary templates I used when I did C&D letters for one of my old hosting clients when her graphics were stolen). Just change the wording in the template to suit your needs.

http://www.rightsforartists.com

Last edited by Petrah : 03-19-10 at 01:17 AM. Reason: ugg spelling error!
03-19-10, 03:26 AM   #22
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

Pretty offtopic, but that RIGHTS site has a damn nice design.
03-19-10, 09:19 AM   #23
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
The last email I got from them said that they removed the ones I had specifically mentioned and would remove the rest soon. This hasn't been done. I alerted them to this in an email just a bit ago, and told them that the notice plastered on each download page is "unacceptable" and that it is precisely their liability for copyright infringement. I said that if they did not take care of my addons and remove the notice from all pages, that I would take the issue to their IP host. I also mentioned that some authors are already going that route, and said "Cease and Desist orders are, contrary to what you may believe, 'serious business'."

I'll let you guys know what I hear back.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-19-10, 09:29 AM   #24
Elhana
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
I'd imagine they can switch host rather easy and their domain registred in CN, so gl in Chinese court )
03-19-10, 04:12 PM   #25
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
The last email I got from them said that they removed the ones I had specifically mentioned and would remove the rest soon. This hasn't been done. I alerted them to this in an email just a bit ago, and told them that the notice plastered on each download page is "unacceptable" and that it is precisely their liability for copyright infringement. I said that if they did not take care of my addons and remove the notice from all pages, that I would take the issue to their IP host. I also mentioned that some authors are already going that route, and said "Cease and Desist orders are, contrary to what you may believe, 'serious business'."

I'll let you guys know what I hear back.
Wow, my links were removing within an hour if that of my email being sent. Thats why I haven't been worried about sending them any official paperwork as they have been dealing with my requests promptly.
03-19-10, 04:58 PM   #26
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

They may be reacting promptly, but the fact that any user may upload an AddOn means that you may be requesting removal of the same AddOn several times.

I'm also of the opinion that their users aren't the ones uploading the AddOns, since every one I've seen has had verbatim layouts from the original site - font, text color, external links, etc: It would appear that they're scraping the sites and re-constructing the AddOn pages themselves.

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
03-19-10, 09:51 PM   #27
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

They removed the donation link for Scott on one, so they are editing.
03-20-10, 07:29 AM   #28
Sythalin
Curse staff

From their main page:
We shall not be liable for any disputes concerning the addons' copyrights.
I got a chuckle out of that one.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Another Site Hosting AddOns