04-22-17, 09:48 AM   #1
Matoskah
A Murloc Raider
Wanted: A new spam blocker

I would really like to see a new spam blocker. One that simply blocks spam and not have a flashing icon in my chat box forcing me to click on it which reports spam or have to alt click on it to dismiss it. The addon itself is good but i really hate that it takes my chat window ransom till i click on that flashing icon. That is as bad as the spam itself having to react to this icon.
Perhaps a simple addon which we could put in words to filter out phrases with the words we want to block.
Badboy got so many negative comment which he was constantly deleting he finally just removed the comments section on Curse.
Thanks
04-22-17, 11:05 AM   #2
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Don't know of any other spam blocker, but the author is doing this with good intentions

He's been maintaining the addon for years and for free, while Blizzard was breaking parts of the addon almost every major patch. The amount of anti-spam updates must be in the thousands

I'd also disable the comment section if there are too much negative or unthankful comments. That dude is pretty transparent about all this when discussing it on forums/threads

Last edited by Ketho : 04-22-17 at 11:11 AM.
04-22-17, 11:22 AM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I don't get a flashing button with BadBoy, but maybe that has to do with my chat modifications and/or placement. Is there a setting in the options to disable it?

Also, BadBoy used to automatically report spam. But Blizzard changed the API so that it required a hardware event and/or put a limit on the number you can report in a certain time frame (I forget which - this was years ago). They were getting flooded with spam reports, which made the reports ineffective.

/edit: oh - and moved to the correct forum category
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 04-22-17 at 11:32 AM.
04-22-17, 09:17 PM   #4
Kanegasi
A Molten Giant

I've defended BadBoy's Legion update and will continue to do so. I will never understand why people complain about one occasional click. It's petty whining to be blunt. BadBoy is one of only two WoW-related things I monetarily support because I believe in the absolute importance and effectiveness of what they provide for the entire playerbase. If I were to decide to play WoW without any addons, including no DBM or Weakauras, I would still have BadBoy installed.
04-29-17, 12:48 PM   #5
Matoskah
A Murloc Raider
I know the number of users have dropped for badboy. When i mention it in trade chat there is always someone chimes in that they have stopped using it as well as i am in a large guild and lots of our members have stopped using it. There is no need to hope he will stop forcing people to have the flashing icon all the time in there chat window.
It just seems like someone would come up with another addon that would simply block the spam. and no need to be updating it 24 hours a day. Make it simple please.
04-29-17, 01:32 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Your antivirus software updates about every day, doesn't it? Is that reason for you to stop using it?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-30-17, 11:42 AM   #7
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

I have no issues with this addon. I have used this one from Phanx https://www.wowinterface.com/downloa...atCleaner.html that does not require clicking IIRC.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Wanted: A new spam blocker