09-11-10, 06:48 PM   #21
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Fixed that memory issue I believe.

Here's one tidied tooltip display, using LCD4WoW for the text at the bottom.
You have memory top left, cpu top right, health bottom left, power bottom right. I didn't think about coloring the power bars.

I just uploaded a package that should fix issues with mousing over unit frames. That was actually a configuration causing that.

This also changes one key thing. How you use functions like UnitName("mouseover"). The environment is provided a unit, so just use UnitName(unit). This gets around a problem with empty unit frames, always saying people are offline. I didn't do much testing to see if those things work.

ckknight was kind and allowed me to use LuaTexts' ScriptEnv in StarTip's environment, so there are most of those functions. These are largely untested, especially if the function relies on some history, like AFK times. I tested Name() so at least I know the plugin loaded.

Legalize WoW gold purchases directly from Blizzard! Yeah, my doctor thinks I'm crazy too. >.<

"It was either going to school for programming or working at the Genetically Modified Wildlife Preserve. I've always had a love for the wildlife, but technology won out in the end."

Note: If you know of a library that you want to make available in your own scripts. let me know and I'll see about writing a plugin for it.

LCD4WoW
09-11-10, 09:23 PM   #22
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I've bumped the project's status. Next in are text widgets so you can place a scriptable LCD4Linux text widget anywhere you want. You can already do that with histograms and bars, which are both based on LCD technology. Next I want to make it so you can attache one widget to another via SetPoint. That will come close to completing this entire thing.

Also, I just uploaded a package that gets rid of a ton of spam when you moused over unit frames. Sorry about that. It also all kills a bug where the tooltip would hide when hovering over unit frames. It wasn't really a bug so much as a configuration default change.

Legalize WoW gold purchases directly from Blizzard! Yeah, my doctor thinks I'm crazy too. >.<

"It was either going to school for programming or working at the Genetically Modified Wildlife Preserve. I've always had a love for the wildlife, but technology won out in the end."

Note: If you know of a library that you want to make available in your own scripts. let me know and I'll see about writing a plugin for it.

LCD4WoW

Last edited by starlon : 09-11-10 at 09:27 PM.
09-11-10, 09:45 PM   #23
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Oops. Don't get 1.10b. Totally broken. I've tagged another and will put it up soon.

LCD4WoW
09-12-10, 08:23 PM   #24
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Tagged 1.10.8b.

The Text module is no longer called Text; it's now UnitTooltip. There's a new module named Text that allows you to place a scriptable text widget anywhere you want, even anchored to the mouse. Eventually I want the positioning to be scriptable.

Here's the new default state.

LCD4WoW
09-13-10, 06:46 PM   #25
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Just tagged 1.10.14b.

I ran an audit on memory management, and plugged some leaks. There may still be some small ones.

I also changed the defaults back to a more simpler tooltip. It was too much with the histograms. They're still available, you just have to turn them on. The text widgets are also disabled. To get the look back, disable the bars module, and enable the histogram and text modules.

Also, I should point out that new histograms/bars/text widgets won't be saved between UI reloads. When I feel more comfortable with the state of things, I'll enable them. It shouldn't be long. Maybe by next upload.

LCD4WoW
09-14-10, 01:09 AM   #26
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Tagged 1.10.17b.

This release plugs some more memory leaks and fixes a few bugs.

As promised you can now modify and add new widgets. Please report any bugs.

I've included several widget examples to go by.

Note that even though you can pass color codes through a text widget, it's more advised that you use a color script instead. That is because the code does not attempt to account for the codes, and your widget will be short if you've cut it off at 10 columns and you try to colorize a 10 character string. You could even cut off part of the color codes, showing some ugliness. So please use color scripts for text widgets, or make sure you've accounted for the extra characters.

LCD4WoW
09-16-10, 10:37 PM   #27
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Mouseovers are now throttled a bit. You can change the threshold in the options.

I changed around a lot of the default lines. I _think_ the restore button works so you won't lose any added lines. I just tested it, but there could still be problems.

I'm sure some bugfixes came in with this one.

Profile changes _might_ be better. They were buggy, and I'm not confident they are completely now. You may have to reload your UI.

Talents are done differently now. I removed the Talents module and replaced it with a UnitTooltip line returning SpecText(unit). It seems to work well, and with the throttling it's even better.

Edit: Sometimes the talents never seem to come up. I'm not sure why. The library's author's looked it over, but it still does it.

LCD4WoW

Last edited by starlon : 09-16-10 at 10:39 PM.
09-17-10, 02:59 AM   #28
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Just tagged a new version.

There are two bugs that pop up every so often when you have throttling on. I keep thinking they're fixed, but then it happens out of the blue. One the tooltip will double in size, with mostly blank lines above. Happens rarely. Two, the tooltip will be empty, but it's full of lines equaling your tooltip lines. Also happens rarely.

I've defaulted throttling to off by setting the default throttleVal to zero. If you want to save memory usage, and you don't mind a rare bug or two (literally, 2 rare bugs), you might set the throttle value to something like 0.35 or 0.5. The tooltip will still show after the time is up. The timer will refresh if you mouse over someone else within 350ms or 500ms. It's one timer versus a timer for each cell on the tooltip (the Lua scripts). The timers are really efficient, but why have so many active all the time while skipping across units in a crowded area. So it's super useful, but it has two bugs. I'll keep looking for the bugs. I've put a lot of effort into this, but realized it's just going to take some tinkering since they're so rare. I'll default throttling to on when I fix them.

Also, throttling has nothing to do with mousing over unit frames. It only pertains to mousing over the "mousoever" unit. Mousing over unit frames and throttling don't mix.

I should also mention that currently the UnitTooltiip's reset-to-defaults feature will keep your custom lines, but the other modules don't currently have this ability. So if you modify something, you won't get any updates till you reset to defaults, and if you don't want to lose something, you better not use this feature in any other module but UnitTooltip. I just finished integrating LuaTexts into StarTip's default Lua scripts. I added a few functions and went with what looked ok. It really polished things up nicely I think. You might give the new defaults a try. I'd look at the source code first and copy those in copy-paste style. I'm hoping not many have created their own bars, texts, or histograms. I'll get around to adding that feature soon. I keep meaning to do the localizations but I keep running into bugs that lead to ideas, and before you know it I'm ready for bed. Yeah, I'm a poor excuse for a developer. I program neat things though. Mostly thanks to open source.

Soon I'll be adding the ability to add widgets on the fly from scripts. You can define a timer widget and have it do whatever by adding new display widgets, or whatever. You can already write your own timer scripts, but they're not really that useful currently except for updating memory and cpu profiling info. I haven't thought of another use for it.

Also coming up are key widgets, for executing some code when you press a special key.

LCD4WoW

Last edited by starlon : 09-17-10 at 03:02 AM.
09-17-10, 03:31 AM   #29
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Just tagged 1.11.20b.

It fixes that bug I think. I've defaulted them to 0.5. Or you can turn it off by setting the value under Settings to zero. Let me know if they bug out. I'm pretty sure I found it, but there's still my lack of confidence as a whole.

LCD4WoW
09-17-10, 04:41 AM   #30
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I had mistakenly placed a Pitbull4 requirement to the Level line. Sorry about that. I got mixed up in that bug and forgot what I was doing before. I'm working on the LuaTexts integration some.

Anyways, 1.11.20b fixes this bug by placing a asterisk in where Boss, Elite, Rare, etc... would normally be, on the Level line.

LCD4WoW
09-17-10, 06:01 AM   #31
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Well that bug popped up again. I think I made it rarer is all. It has only popped up once and I was mousing over units real fast when it happened. Let me know if it pops up in a normal use setting.

If you want to profile StarTip, enable the profiling widgets and either enable the timer widget under Timers, or install ResourceServer for untainted data. The profiling is done simple. You take the last total memory and addon memory and compare that with the current total memory and addon memory. I'm open to better solutions. This gives you a real time view. I'm not sure averaging the last so many is all that great either. You get rid of the jumpiness, but you also get rid of the real time view. I'd like both. Maybe a short history?

LCD4WoW
09-17-10, 04:46 PM   #32
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Tagged 1.11.27b.

Sorry I haven't got the bug fix out sooner. My local copy was a jumbled mess adding in the latest feature. I'm confident when I say the Pitbull4 requirement is gone.

You can now find out if one frame intersects with another frame.
Intersect(frame1, frame2, frame1xPad1, frame1yPad1, frame1xPad2, frame1yPad2, frame2xPad1, frame2yPad1, frame2xPad2, frame2yPad2)

The profiling widgets are all intersecting, meaning they'll be checked against GetMouseFocus() to see if the two intersect or not, on a refresh timer. You can hide widget regions simply by finding out if the two intersect. The paddings allow you to adjust the sizes. So your widget can actually be larger than your frame. What's cool about this is you could have widgets over unit frames, and when you mouse over a unit frame, all those unit frame widgets are hidden when they intersect with GetMouseFocus(), creating a clear path so to speak. I'm still looking into how this can be used. Intersect is provided as an plugin, so you have access to it inside LuaTexts.

LCD4WoW

Last edited by starlon : 09-17-10 at 04:49 PM.
09-17-10, 05:23 PM   #33
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
To get an idea what it feels like, enable all the memory profiling widgets (text and histograms) and mouse over a unit frame (your's preferably) slowly from left to right. The widgets will show right as you reach the edge of the unit frame. The histograms go further and check Intersect for each individual bar, so you can view a partial histogram, minus the regions that intersected. It's updated on a refresh timer, so it'll show and hide the regions as you move the mouse.

I'll likely add an option to turn off intersecting all together.

LCD4WoW
09-18-10, 12:13 AM   #34
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Tagged 1.11.35b.

This fixes a bug with intersect paddings. It should feel like the regions are avoiding the mouse.

Edit: By the way, if you've been unable to get the profiling working, either download ResourceServer from Curse or turn on the default Timer widget.

LCD4WoW

Last edited by starlon : 09-18-10 at 12:16 AM.
09-19-10, 03:06 AM   #35
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Turns out intersect checks don't always work out like they should, because I didn't understand how WoW positioned frames. It's a bit more complicated than what I had, which checks intersections on one layer. So it works for some frames, and others it fails.

LCD4WoW
09-20-10, 07:20 PM   #36
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Tagged 1.11.41b:

The biggest difference is that this plugs a pretty large memory leak. What's cool about this is I think it was the last memory leak. StarTip should no longer generate 10kb memory every unknown mouseover unit. I'm not seeing much memory generation at all once you've moused over your first unit and most of the lines are created.

StarTip's looking great. I want to wait a little while for an official non-beta release, but as it stands right now it's gorgeous, granted I don't upload a broken package. I need to polish up the options, and I still need to localize the entire thing, but it's maturing nicely. What troubles me, however, is I get very few bug reports. I don't know if that means StarTip's generally bug-free, or if it means nobody's using it. Honestly I think it's the best tooltip addon out there. There's not much you can't do with it. The only huge flaw I know is the author's a slow programmer.

LCD4WoW
10-03-10, 09:35 AM   #37
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Animated icons. Here's an EKG:

How utterly useless is that? I'm going to make it so you can script frame transitions. Your script returns true or false depending on whether you want the frame to advance by one with that update or not. You can create a timer icon and have it count down some duration, or have it show some progress or status.

Clock face:

LCD4WoW
10-05-10, 03:12 AM   #38
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Just a heads up on some incoming features.

First, icon widgets are now scriptable. For now they're 2bit as far as color goes, just as seen before where it was black and white. But all aspects of the icon are going to be scriptable, including the colors. The main expression can be used in 3 ways. First you can return a boolean indicating whether to increment the frame by one, or you can provide a number in the range between min and max, where min and max are scriptable as well. I've created two defaults for StarTip -- health and power status icons. Of course they're not colored yet. Lastly you can return nothing and allow the icon to increment every update. I'll go further and allow you to select an individual frame, but that's not available yet. They can be any size you want, and you can have multiple displayed on the tooltip.

The other feature that's coming in is the mouse gesture widget. Humbedooh wrote a cool library called LibMouseGestures and what's a tooltip addon without something like that? The default gesture hides the tooltip when you shake the tooltip left and right.

I'll also be adding it so you can script key presses. So when you press the control key, you can reshow that tooltip. This is useful if you mouse over unit frames a lot and want to hide the tooltip, but only for a moment.

I'll also be making it so you can create scriptable timers from within your scripts, so you can schedule something to happen based on a mouse gesture. You could have the control key show the tooltip, then within that script schedule a timer to hide the tooltip in 3 seconds.

It's coming together.

Please, if you find bugs, report them. I'm basing this entire project on an experimental library, which is why I've kept it beta for so long. There are bound to be bugs. Author mishaps are likely as well.

LCD4WoW
10-07-10, 02:16 AM   #39
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Tagged 1.12.5b

Mouse gestures have come along nicely. All aspects of LibMouseGestures are now scriptable. All the callbacks are scriptable and there's options for all other aspects. I may have missed something. Let me know if I did. Report any bugs.

LCD4WoW
10-09-10, 02:02 AM   #40
starlon
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Tagged 1.12.12b

Fixed a few bugs with mouse gestures.

The default gesture now toggles the tooltip hidden/shown. This means that the tooltip will stay hidden even if you mouse over someone/something until you perform the gesture again.

LCD4WoW

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Released AddOns » StarTip