08-19-16, 09:44 PM   #1
Caps
A Murloc Raider
Player/NPC Names problem

I have this problem and i don't know if im the only one, but i can't read the names above npc/players, they're all distorted, i need to really zoom in to be able to read them. I wanted to know if there was some addon that would allow me to just increase the font size, i probably would resolve my problem if i used a nameplate addon, but i like the blizzard nameplates, i just can't read the text with a camera at a normal distance.

Hope you guys can help me.
08-20-16, 12:08 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I assume you mean the names shown over units in the 3D game world when nameplates are disabled. The distortion you're seeing is (probably) due to your anti-aliasing setting in the game's video options. While Blizzard did (finally) fix the rendering of game-world damage text in 7.0, they also screwed up the rendering of unit names. FXAA 2x or 4x makes them pretty much unreadable without zooming in, like you described, so your options right now are:

(a) Turn off anti-aliasing and enjoy ugly jagged lines on everything.

(b) Use an anti-aliasing method better than FXAA and enjoy your 20 FPS minus.

(c) Stick with FXAA and turn on nameplates. (Also enable the "Show All Nameplates" option -- its name is misleading, but what it does is make the game actually respect your show/hide nameplate preferences instead of ignoring the "show" state outside of combat.)

You can also try changing the font used for unit names; it won't necessarily fix the distortion, but if you use a bolder/wider font it may not be quite as bad. There's no way to access the names directly in an addon, or change the size / outline / shadow, but this will work once per login session:

UNIT_NAME_FONT = "Interface\\AddOns\\SomeAddon\\SomeFont.ttf"

Overriding UNIT_NAME_FONT more than once won't have any effect, even if you reload the UI. You have to completely log out to the character screen and log back in to change it again. You also need to do it during the initial loading process, so just stick it in a file outside of any functions, or at least make sure it's not running any later than your addon's ADDON_LOADED event or maybe PLAYER_LOGIN at the latest.
08-20-16, 09:13 AM   #3
Caps
A Murloc Raider
That's exactly my problem, messing with AA the best one for me is SSAA 4X + CMAA, it fixes the problem a little bit compared to the other options, but the font is still so tiny it's hard to read. I wish i could just increase the font size a little bit.
I mentioned Nameplates because even with nameplates on, enemy names are still hard to read.
08-20-16, 07:33 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
At least nameplates are modifiable with addons. Kui Nameplates has a "names only" mode that may be useful.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Player/NPC Names problem