01-27-10, 11:09 PM   #1
killershadow
A Kobold Labourer
Carbonite 3.3: Quest List does not get updated as I add new quests.

Hi,
Carbonite 3.3: Everytime that I get a new quest, the Carbonite questlist doesn't get updated. which means that it doesn't appear on the questlist. How should I fix this problem. (Right now, I'm doing quests in Zangarmarsh and Hellfire Peninsula).

02-01-10, 11:33 AM   #2
Aximili
A Murloc Raider
I've had the same problem for a while now and i know what the problem is. Once in a while when accepting a quest from a NPC there'll be a bug preventing this quest from getting registered into the quest log and all quests you'll take after this bug won't be registered either. Well if you reload the game, apart from the one that didn't get registered the new ones will appear, the only way i foun to get rid of this problem ( appart from reinstalling wow ) is to finish the quest that bugged ( even though you can't see it in the quest log, so it might be hard to remember what quest it was to finish it ) and use a portal to travel to another area. In my case i found out that each time i get a daily fishing quest this bug happen, i also had the same bug on several other quests. I learned to detect this bug by the sound, each time you accept a quest you hear a specific sound but when the bug happen you don'y hear it, so i just make sure to remember the quest i just took and do it asap.

By the way i'm playing in french so i'm wondering whether or not this bug come from that ( as quests names, areas names and other things are different maybe some translations are wrong and it cause this bug).

Last edited by Aximili : 02-01-10 at 11:37 AM.

02-03-10, 06:31 AM   #3
Kyrianna
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Same error plus......

In addition to the problems mentioned above I'd also like to note that after getting the bug the quest tracker will not update whatsoever. The bug first appeared when I obtained the Alchemy quest to learn the Cardinal Ruby transmute if that helps you narrow it down any.

02-03-10, 12:14 PM   #4
Baby4ewy
A Kobold Labourer
The last patch may have reset somethings.

Hope this helps. I had the same problem, and it took me all day yesterday trying to figure out how to fix it, or at least temporary fix it. Go to "Game Menu" -> "Interface" -> in the left pane, select "Objectives". Check both boxes "Automatic Quest Tracking" and "Automatic Quest Progress Updates". The boxes will, for some reason, uncheck themselves when you exit the game, so you have to recheck the boxes when you come back. The patch created a major glitch imo.

02-04-10, 10:35 PM   #5
Kyrianna
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Baby4ewy View Post
Hope this helps. I had the same problem, and it took me all day yesterday trying to figure out how to fix it, or at least temporary fix it. Go to "Game Menu" -> "Interface" -> in the left pane, select "Objectives". Check both boxes "Automatic Quest Tracking" and "Automatic Quest Progress Updates". The boxes will, for some reason, uncheck themselves when you exit the game, so you have to recheck the boxes when you come back. The patch created a major glitch imo.
Thank you for the thought, but unfortunately this made no difference. The error temporarily resolves itself upon restarting WoW, but only until I turn a quest in, then it's back. Also disabling Carbonite has no effect here. A petition to the GM suggested deleting WTF, Cache, and Interface folders and starting from scratch, and I'm just about ready to do it!

02-05-10, 02:31 AM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Don't delete them, just rename them. That way if the problem isn't solved, you can just rename them again and you won't have to spend all that time replacing and configuring the addons you deleted. Besides, deleting those folders is pretty much like reinstalling WoW. It just doesn't have to patch forever 'til you can play again.

Last edited by jeffy162 : 02-05-10 at 02:33 AM.

02-05-10, 12:10 PM   #7
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I have not seen this happen on my computer or the one my son plays on.

Have you tried it with all other addons disabled to rule out a conflict?

Press Esc, select Interface, select Help and make sure Display Lua Errors is on.

Last edited by carboniteaddon : 02-05-10 at 12:13 PM.

02-05-10, 07:39 PM   #8
DaBear78
A Murloc Raider
I get exactly the same problem. Sometimes new quests aren't displayed on the map and the tracker. If I look into the Blizzard-log (ALT-L) it is also not listed, but it's still active and I can complete it normally. Restarting the game etc. does not help. The only solution I found is to disable all AddOns. When they are disabled I get the quest listed in the official log the next time I log in. Then I can log out and enable the AddOns again. When I now log in the quest is still there (on the Carbonite-tracker, the minimap and the Blizzard-log) and everything works normal again, until I get a 'problematic' quest again. Later this day I will try if disabling Carbonite is enough or if I really have to disable all my AddOns (I haven't tried this before, 'cause clicking the "Disable all" button is easier then searching and disabling Carbonite manually, because I use a lot of AddOns ^^). I will report later then, after I got a problematic quest again.

Additional info: There were also a lot of quests missing on the tracker, map and Blizzard-log when I logged in the first time after the 3.3.2 patch was applied (they were normally shown just before the patch was live). From about 15 quest i had in the redridge mountains only 3 or 4 were shown and newly taken quest also doesn't show up, only after the logout-disableaddons-login-logout-enableaddons-login thing ^^

I hope this issue can easily be fixed, 'cause I really love Carbonite and don't want to miss it.

By the way, I use a german client, so this seems not to be a problem with the french client @ Aximili

P.S.: Any incorrect spellings, grammatical mistakes and similar things are only for your entertainment! I hope you enjoy them and don't blame my moderate english-skills.

02-06-10, 03:57 AM   #9
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Faatal's question was whether or not this problem continues if you disable ALL OTHER addons, but leave Carbonite enabled. That is the only way to tell if another addon is interfering with Carbonite.

In other words: At the character selection screen, open your "AddOns" window, and click the "Disable All" button, then go down the list and enable ONLY Carbonite and it's modules. Click "OK" and enter your realm. Does the problem still persist with this set up?

If it does not, then another addon is most likely interfering with Carbonite.

02-06-10, 04:39 AM   #10
DaBear78
A Murloc Raider
Disabling all AddOns scares me, but I'll try it The only problem is that I don't know which quests cause this strange behavior, so when I play for about 2 or 3 hours while questing a lot and it does not happen, what does it tell me? Almost nothing, because it could just be that there was no quest which triggers this error. So, to be accurate, I have to play 2 chars. 1 char with all AddOns and then, when this error happens, another char with only Carbonite enabled, to see if it happens at this quest again... Hmmm, that means a lot of questing to do today. But when it helps, I'll do it, but it will eventually take till monday, because my son is having a birthday-party tomorrow, so theres a lot of work to do for parents *g* But I will definitely test it.

I'll report back a.s.a.p.

02-06-10, 06:19 PM   #11
Kyrianna
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
I have not seen this happen on my computer or the one my son plays on.

Have you tried it with all other addons disabled to rule out a conflict?

Press Esc, select Interface, select Help and make sure Display Lua Errors is on.
Unfortunately have to work through the weekend, but will try this as soon as I am able and report back with the results.

Encouraging to know that disabling all addons fixes the problem. I will definitely try that as well if disabling all but Carbonite doesn't do the job.

02-09-10, 05:02 PM   #12
Tequima
An Aku'mai Servant
I have this too

Only on one of my characters. When I log in the boxes for auto-tracking have switched themselves back off.

Tried disabling carbonite only

Tried renaming just the cache and WTF folders, but now her log is completely empty...

So ... cleared down the interface folder as well as the others and it now works. ofc this means I have lost all my saved variables again ... but tbh I'd rather that than not be able to track quests.

02-10-10, 03:04 AM   #13
DaBear78
A Murloc Raider
Hmmm, after 2 days of intense testing and questing I was not able to find any problematic quest. There are 2 possible reasons for this:

1. Error is fixed somehow
2. There are not so many quests which cause this error

I can live with both situations, but when I ever again see such a 'bad quest' I will definitely test different solutions.

So theres only one thing left to say for me: Happy (and hopefully bug free ^^) gaming everybody

02-10-10, 09:51 AM   #14
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Tequima View Post
So ... cleared down the interface folder as well as the others and it now works. ofc this means I have lost all my saved variables again ... but tbh I'd rather that than not be able to track quests.
The interface folder does not have addons settings in it. They are in the folders at WTF\Account\<name>.

02-10-10, 08:11 PM   #15
Sralis
A Defias Bandit
I'm having this issue as well, but notice it with the low level quest that I'm trying to pick up to do rep grinding. no issues whatsoever with daily quest or quest that aren't grey to me.

02-10-10, 11:32 PM   #16
tectbridge
A Defias Bandit
Having same issues but is every quest I take. None of them update until I log out and comback in.

02-11-10, 01:30 AM   #17
Texafornian
A Defias Bandit
Yes, I have experienced the following problems:

* Quest list not getting updated: i.e Kills are registered as far as the game is concerned but not in the carbonite list.

* Quest Names are now replaced by Quest ID on some quests.

* Quest List will not display.

* Was unable to pick up some new quests until I relogged.

All this started happening after I went to the History tab in the main quest list and did a "Get Completed From Server".

I did this on another toon and it is affecting all my toons.

02-11-10, 04:48 AM   #18
Aximili
A Murloc Raider
Here's a temporary solution i found :
If your quest log is bugged first restart wow or if you can take a portal from dalaran to any of your faction capitals. It'll somehow update your quest log (not completly though)
Then take a paper and a pen and write down all the quests you see.
Once it's down close wow, rename the folders mentioned previously so that the next time you launch wow it'll be as if it's the first time you launch it.
Then access your quest log and compare it with what you wrote down, you should see new quest in it that you didn't see before. Those are the quest that bugged. You can either finish them now or remove them from the qust log.
Once it's down you're free to put back your folders and play wow with your usual addons. But be careful if you abandonned these quest and then take them again the bug will come back.

Well once you know about the bug it's quite simple, when you're going to take a quest make sure to look at the objectives, then take it, if it doesn't appear in your quest log just go do this quest immediatly ( you should know the objectives ). And once it's down and you got your reward, just go through one of the portals in dalaran to get rid of the bug.

Please know that if the quest that bugged was a daily quest each time you'll take this particular daily quest you'll get the bug. As an example i myself always get this bug when i take the fishing daily quest in dalaran. So i make sure to do this quest asap then take a portal and come back to dalaran to do the rest of the daily quests.

Last edited by Aximili : 02-11-10 at 04:51 AM.

02-11-10, 03:50 PM   #19
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Sralis View Post
I'm having this issue as well, but notice it with the low level quest that I'm trying to pick up to do rep grinding. no issues whatsoever with daily quest or quest that aren't grey to me.
Are those quests level 1-4? Blizzard auto accepts those now, so Carbonite does not see them get added. That is already fixed for the next version.

02-11-10, 04:02 PM   #20
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Texafornian View Post
* Quest list not getting updated: i.e Kills are registered as far as the game is concerned but not in the carbonite list.

* Quest Names are now replaced by Quest ID on some quests.

* Quest List will not display.

* Was unable to pick up some new quests until I relogged.

All this started happening after I went to the History tab in the main quest list and did a "Get Completed From Server".

I did this on another toon and it is affecting all my toons.
"Quest Names are now replaced by Quest ID on some quests". What are the ids of a few of those quests?

"Quest List will not display" is a typical sign of a conflict with another addon.

"Was unable to pick up some new quests until I relogged" can happen from a conflict with another addon.

"Get Completed From Server" saves data for the current character. Data is not used by other characters, so I don't know how that would happen.

I would try this:

1 Reboot computer
2 Rename WTF folder to WTFold
3 Start the game. Log in
4 Disable all addons except Carbonite
5 Pick a character. Enter world
6 Make sure it says 3.31 in the Carbonite minimap button tooltip.
7 Press Esc, select Interface, select Help and make sure "Display Lua Errors" is checked.
8 Play game and test.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 3.3: Quest List does not get updated as I add new quests.