09-04-07, 11:27 PM   #1
lumparoo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Damage Meters

Which is better at tracking data in raids Damage Meters or SW Stats?
Are there any other damage meters that are working better than these two that i mentioned?
The reason why I ask is that my damage is always higher when I use Damage Meters (which i tend to use for narcisistic reasons), than when i use SW Stats.
09-05-07, 05:10 PM   #2
lumparoo
A Fallenroot Satyr
/bump plzzz
09-05-07, 06:09 PM   #3
Jzar
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by lumparoo
Which is better at tracking data in raids Damage Meters or SW Stats?
Are there any other damage meters that are working better than these two that i mentioned?
The reason why I ask is that my damage is always higher when I use Damage Meters (which i tend to use for narcisistic reasons), than when i use SW Stats.
It's always easier for mods to trap events that happen to and because of yourself than players surrounding you. That's just how the WoW API is. If SW Stats shows other people as having higher relative damage, I'd assume it's because it does a better job of capturing their events as well.

However, my recommendation for damage meters, as of about a month ago, is Recount. http://wow.curse.com/downloads/details/8840/ It's still quite new, and has a few issues with it, but give it shot, I think you'll like it.
09-07-07, 10:32 PM   #4
Farook
A Molten Giant

Try them all, and you'll find out what is your personal favourite.

The options you have:

- Recount (Ace2)
- Violation (Ace2)
- Recap (Ace2)
- Assesment (Ace2)
- SW Stats
- DamageMeter
09-07-07, 11:10 PM   #5
Jazradel
An Aku'mai Servant
In case this helps, my order of preference:
- Violation (Ace2)
- Assesment (Ace2)
- Recount (Ace2)
- Recap (Ace2)
- DamageMeter
- SW Stats
09-08-07, 12:25 AM   #6
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Try the above list and find the one you like the most. My current favorite is Violation though I was an old fan of DM. I refuse to use SW_Stats.

Just to elaborate on how these kind of mods work... you must bear in mind that they are not accurate. Period. It is simply not possible to parse detailed information (especially from farther distances) to gather 100% accurate results. This is especially true for Hunter and Warlock pets, as only their owner can parse any of their data.

Example: If just one of your raid members does not enable the "treat pet data as your own", then it will skew the results of everyone else. Same with not syncing. Same if someone is not running any sort of meter.

Always take damage meter data with a grain of salt as use it as a baseline and an estimate.

09-10-07, 01:57 AM   #7
lumparoo
A Fallenroot Satyr
but which of these is most accurate?

If my whole raid group has swstats does that make it very accurate?
09-10-07, 03:30 AM   #8
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yes that makes sw_stats quite accurate.

Some of the aforementioned damage meters mention in their description or early tests that
they have been run side by side with sw_stats and produce similar or even identical numbers.

SW_stats has been a measure of accuracy especially for non-syncing addons like Assesment in their early development stages.

In short, syncing mods benefit from more people using them in the raid, and sw_stats is one of the best.

Non-syncing mods, need proper configuration (extending the combatlog range - which most give options to do from the mod itself),
and some are quite accurate as well, while at the same time do not require others to have them installed or benefit from it.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Damage Meters