02-24-09, 07:32 PM   #1
Cryose
A Murloc Raider
Good headset recommendations?

I will be needing a PC headset soon, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'm looking for a headset, not a full headset (covers both ears and/or plays game sounds), which I plan on using for only communication. Also, my price range would go no higher than about $50. Any help is appreciated.
02-26-09, 04:29 PM   #2
Taryble
A Molten Giant

I like Logitech and Plantronics, and any headset that uses USB instead of two microjacks (or comes with a dual-microjack to USB converter) is preferred.

My current headset is a Logitech "travel" headset with a USB converter.

USB adapters or converters have the advantage of showing up in your system as a second soundcard, so you can do things like let normal sounds play through your speakers, and only use your headset for Vent/TS/etc (even the in-game WoW Voice Chat can take advantage of this).

I tend to like Plantronics because of the time I spent working as a hotel phone operator - the headsets we used were Plantronics, and they were comfortable and lasted a significant period of time. This was important, because in a normal shift (10 hours) I might handle in excess of 2000 phone calls.
02-26-09, 05:55 PM   #3
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
me I have a Koss since 3 years never got a problem with , still good mic quality, heard some good recommandations of Sennheiser otherwise. I wouldn''t go for Logitech products for that nor I would have probably already replaced it like the logitech mice I had previously, didn't made 3 years that *****
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)

Last edited by Mera : 02-27-09 at 03:50 AM.
02-26-09, 07:09 PM   #4
Caellian
A Frostmaul Preserver

Sennheiser PC-350 all the way, those are so good i had to buy another one still in its case just in case something happened to the one i'm using, they're a bit expensive but considering i have them over 8 hours a day on my head, it's ok.

PC-350

Last edited by Caellian : 02-26-09 at 07:12 PM.
02-26-09, 07:35 PM   #5
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
If you are going to go into that price class, then I would recommend Beyerdynamic DT 290 or Beyerdynamic DT 297.

There aren't really any great headsets in the 50USD range. Steelseries 5H is okey, but they are at 80USD or so. They are sturdy as hell tho' :).
02-26-09, 08:53 PM   #6
Opaque
A Fallenroot Satyr
STEELSOUND 5H v/2

I would highly recommend the steelsound 5H v/2 headset. I have tried a few different sets, and this is by far the best I have ever used.

Here is a review on them. It says they are like $80 but I'm sure nowadays you could find them for under $50.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/S...SteelSound5hv2

They are great!
02-26-09, 11:25 PM   #7
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
All I can suggest is stay away from Logitech headsets.

I love Logitech products. Currently on 3rd Keyboard from them and my 4th mouse. But for some reason there headsets break fairly easy. I went thru 3 before I gave up. The first had the mic die where the boom goes into the headset (the area rotated on the headset and eventually wore out and broke wires) and the other 2 had issues with the volume control knob thing. Eventually the sound went out.

I currently use MS LifeChat LX-3000 a decent USB headset for a good price (around 25$ now i believe)
02-28-09, 01:18 PM   #8
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
yup logitech stuffs are good for homework or works like secretary , hotline assistance etc but about gaming there is so far better. you should look are pro gaming products so you have comfort assured like fatal1ty, steelseries, koss, sennheiser etc

Last edited by Mera : 02-28-09 at 01:23 PM.
02-28-09, 01:46 PM   #9
Dainton
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Caellian View Post
Sennheiser PC-350 all the way, those are so good i had to buy another one still in its case just in case something happened to the one i'm using, they're a bit expensive but considering i have them over 8 hours a day on my head, it's ok.

PC-350
I have these as well. They retail for quite a bit, but I was able to get mine for roughly $100. Great investment if you can find them for a good price.
02-28-09, 08:48 PM   #10
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

My 'vent' setup cost me about 8 USD. I already had speakers, so I bought a desktop mic at WalMart. If I had to go the headset route again though, I'd dig my Koss out of the closet (it's been there for the 3 years since I went away from headsets, and did a great job for 2 years prior). I'm all about comfort.
03-03-09, 07:18 PM   #11
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
I'll put my vote for Sennheiser. They make some really great sounding headphones. I have their HD 555's and also one of their cheap gaming sets that it looks like they no longer sell.

Last edited by Dolby : 03-03-09 at 07:22 PM.
03-09-09, 01:04 PM   #12
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Yeah, stay far far away from Logitech.. I bought a pair for around $60 which lasted for about two weeks before each of the speakers detached from the headset.

If you want peace of mind with incredible performance, check out Razer. I have the Razer Habu mouse so it just seemed natural to get a matching headset.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Good headset recommendations?