11-10-07, 02:04 AM   #1
twitch82
A Murloc Raider
Memory usage

I recently installed CML. Up till then I had been using Fubar's performance plug-in. Something I'm noticing as I play is that my memory usage continuously grows. I start at around 35mb.. and after about a hour of playing I'm at 75mb, as stated by CML. If I reload my interface it goes back down. I remember Fubar's performance plug-in had a "garbage removal" tab. Is there something I'm doing wrong, is this normal? Should I have to reload my interface for smooth game play, or is this not effecting anything and I'm being over critical?

edit* attached a list of mods I use for your viewing pleasure. I've also finished reading a previous post about Bartender eating up memory, which in turn showed to be it wasn't that particular mod. Just looking for any tips I can get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	601
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1524  

Last edited by twitch82 : 11-10-07 at 02:21 AM.
11-10-07, 02:36 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Both ArkInventory and Auctioneer love to gobble memory. I personally do not use any "Virtual bags" mods for this reason instead sticking with a "All in One" bag mod (Bagnon in my case).

You may want to consider upgrading to the new Acuctioneer Advanced. This is the next generation of Auctioneer. One of the things the devs of AucAdv worked on is getting the amount of memory used down by a huge chunk. This is one I use.
11-10-07, 06:09 AM   #3
doc309
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
/agree about auctioneer advanced.

i don't see any obvious memory hogs (except the 1st gen auctioneer)

i use baggins a virtual bag mod with no problems.

i'm pretty sure that reloading writes all the SV files and that's what's reducing the running memory usage.

does CML tell you how much memory each addon is using? the bartender thing is kinda unique. it's just that all ace libararies memory is attributed to the alphabetically first ace addon....

Doc
11-10-07, 06:16 AM   #4
Galinn
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Originally Posted by doc309
does CML tell you how much memory each addon is using?
no it doesnt..
11-10-07, 08:02 AM   #5
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

When your memory gets high, type this:

Code:
/script collectgarbage("collect")
code by cladhaire

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
11-10-07, 12:49 PM   #6
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

unless you really want auctioneer info all the time, set it to load only when you go to the AH. then when you are done at the AH, reload your interface to flush it (and its likely huge SV file) out of memory.

or do like i do and make a bank character and only load Auctioneer on that one
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy
11-10-07, 01:15 PM   #7
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

I still use PerformanceFu and love it (since it shows individual addon mem usage), and it also allows me to force a Garbage Collection with a click.

Increasing memory usage is a byproduct of running addons. The better the addon is coded, the less mem usage (generally). I routinely force a GC and it works out peachy. In fact, 2.3 will be changing the GC to be done far more frequently, which will help everyone. Option screens for addons will usually bump it up, so after you config something, do a GC. Hope that helps a bit.

11-10-07, 01:24 PM   #8
Slakah
A Molten Giant

Also CML if I remember correctly logs all memory usage including blizzard stuff so it should be about 4mg over what is actually being caused by addons.
11-10-07, 11:17 PM   #9
twitch82
A Murloc Raider
I do have a bank alt that is the only character that uses auctioneer. I wasn't aware there was a new auctioneer available. I assume this is available on their website, I'll check into it. I use ArkInventory because it is simply the best bag mod I've found. I've tried all the others, out side of zBagnon which I truly loved. Regarding CML, is there a option to change it from 24 hours to a regular 12 hour clock? I think I'll just reinstall Fubar's performance plugin for my garbage collection and call it a day.
11-11-07, 06:18 AM   #10
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

CML development has stopped (the author, Phanx, simply does not have enough hours in the day). Instead look at SLTimex. One of the things the SLTimex will do is allow a garbage collection. Also you can customize the clock settings

Regarding bag mods, Tuller (author of vBagnon and Bagnon) has a new bag mod in the works that looks to be very promising. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Zyonin : 11-11-07 at 06:23 AM.
11-11-07, 01:32 PM   #11
twitch82
A Murloc Raider
I see Tuller updated Bagnon on Nov 2, so I'll be giving that another try. What makes ArkInventory such a memory hog compared to Bagnon?

Thank you on the tip for SL Timex, appreciated.

On that topic, any other mods in the SS that stood out that anyone noticed could use a change to a different author?

*EDIT. . I went with Combuctor bag mod.. simply WOW! Auc Advanced is amazing as well.

Last edited by twitch82 : 11-11-07 at 05:07 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Memory usage