03-18-11, 04:51 AM   #1
tobindax
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Force the saving of addon settings

Is there a way to force the saving of addon settings? Or some kind of 'disk sync'.

I noticed some addons retain their settings after a crash others are not.

I suspect it may also be erratic, i.e. being random what retains them and what is not but I also suspect it may be only an issue of sync or explicit saving or pre-saving.

PS. e.g. I noticed xperl lost some of its positional settings but not all its settings. Not even all its positional settings.
03-18-11, 05:07 AM   #2
sigg
Featured Artist

Featured
Hello tobindax

The only way to save your settings is to make a reloadUI.

So /reloadui

Cheers
03-18-11, 05:13 AM   #3
tobindax
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by sigg View Post
Hello tobindax

The only way to save your settings is to make a reloadUI.

So /reloadui

Cheers
ok this is unrelated to the bug I experienced since I noticed I can lose partial positional settings on xperl (example, it may be partial in other addons or areas), after the game has been reloaded (explicitly with a common logout/quit or a /reload).

It appears certain conditions - I lately had it on a disconnect due to network issues - make some addons lose settings even if they have been saved before in previous sessions.
03-18-11, 09:02 AM   #4
Taryble
A Molten Giant

That's an odd bug. WoW itself is responsible for saving addon settings - not the addons themselves. The settings are written to the hard drive as files on every issue of the UI being reloaded, character logout, and normal game exit.

Loss of settings in those situations means that either that setting is not explicitly saved by the addon, or the setting file was written to a damaged (or otherwise non-working) section of your hard drive. I would suggest running the windows disk-checking program from the right-click menu of the hard drive. (ie, go to the drive in Explorer, right-click the drive name/letter, choose Properties, open the Tools tab, and use the first tool, titled 'error checking').

Either that, or you're running into a VERY unusual bug.
03-18-11, 10:20 AM   #5
Xinhuan
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by tobindax View Post
ok this is unrelated to the bug I experienced since I noticed I can lose partial positional settings on xperl (example, it may be partial in other addons or areas), after the game has been reloaded (explicitly with a common logout/quit or a /reload).

It appears certain conditions - I lately had it on a disconnect due to network issues - make some addons lose settings even if they have been saved before in previous sessions.
That would be a problem specific to xperl and not addons in general. All addons save all settings at the same time if there is no crash on logout or on disconnect. A WoW crash to desktop is the only way settings do not get saved.

There is a subcategory of settings related to frame positioning where some addons rely on WoW's frame position saving system rather than using their own. This can cause problems, especially if you disable an addon, then reenable it because the position is only saved if the addon is active, and if it ever is not active, the position data is deleted.
03-18-11, 12:31 PM   #6
tobindax
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Originally Posted by Xinhuan View Post
There is a subcategory of settings related to frame positioning where some addons rely on WoW's frame position saving system rather than using their own. This can cause problems, especially if you disable an addon, then reenable it because the position is only saved if the addon is active, and if it ever is not active, the position data is deleted.
This is most probably related since almost certainly it's not a hard disk failure issue since I had seen exactly the same behavior on a completely different PC, both had no hard disk issues on other programs.

By the way, I also saw it on a disconnected from the realm client after I had quickly pressed escape. Perhaps a certain condition treated it equivalent to a crash. However, it can't be as simple since the settings had been saved from previous logouts.

--

It's definitely that since I remembered that mage nudgets and combustionhelper also lost their settings of position but not of operation.

Last edited by tobindax : 03-18-11 at 12:37 PM.
03-18-11, 12:48 PM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Check that your WTF folder (and its contents) are not set to "read only" and that you have the appropriate permissions on your Windows account to be changing/saving files.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

03-18-11, 01:49 PM   #8
tobindax
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Those are fine. Besides, there's been a common characteristic of those failures to be able to save before and after the incident and only getting a shuffle of some settings (usually visual positioning).

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Force the saving of addon settings