09-15-12, 09:01 AM   #41
caccal2
A Murloc Raider
Party quest tracking

Originally Posted by Knaur View Post
Does ths addon also share my partymembers quests like carbonite did? cause thats one of the reasons i used carbonite, to help my wife in boosting quests, and her quests showed up in my quest list even if i didnt have the quest myself. this is a very usefull and important function for me when i boost quests alot with party members
As much as Carbonite adds to game for me, its not the maps I miss, its the party quest tracking in the quest watch window. I play with family and it makes it so much easier to see what quests they are on/not on or missed right there in the quest track/watch window. As Knaur asked is there a fan fix for this or another adddon someone can recommend?

09-15-12, 03:31 PM   #42
Simulo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by eqsanctum View Post
Negative ghost rider, proximity based quests, and having more then 10 quests on the screen are almost a given now-a-days. Reinvent the display of the quests. Forget blizzards ripoff.
Because people have nothing better to do than keep an addon, that tracks ALL THE QUESTS IN THE GAME, FOR BOTH SIDES, up-to-date. Think of all the quest information Carbonite tracks (Item Count, Location, Finish Point, Item Use Button, Time Limits, few more things that I probably can't think of). Point is, we're in this thread looking for an alternative to Carbonite, because Carbonite is:

a) Taking too long to update
b) Abandoned (see 'a' for plausible reason)

So...you want another Carbonite, so it can overwhelm the author, who will eventually decides to not update...and we'll be back in a thread like this one looking for an alternative to Dugi's addon.

Blizzard's tracker works just fine. Though it would be nice to darken the highlighted area; at quick glance it is hard to miss in places like Vash or places were the quest location is over water.

As for quest/achievement tracking, that's your personal preference. Personally, I never went over a "zone's worth" of quests...never even touched the achievement tracking; takes up too much space.

-One of the things I hate about Carbonite is that it'll randomly reactivate tracking of a quest I specifically told it not to track. Like "Alliance Needs More Purple Lotus", I like to keep it just for the "lawlz" when I share it in a raid....nice to see how many remember it, sad when more and more don't
But, ya, I don't want it tracked, but Carbonite refuses to remember.

-Another thing that seriously pisses me off is the fact that each BG has it's own separate map container, so I have to reposition the BG "World Map" for every freak'n BG per new BG or redo of my UI. Why in God's name didn't they just use the World Map container so you move ONE frame ONCE and you're set.

@Dugi

The mod is pretty much perfect as it is now. About the only thing I would add is a "zoomable world map" (much like Carbonite's). Doesn't even have to be this "Google Map"-style. Just something that I can zoom up on when resource nodes are in close proximity.
-If that's already in place, I have no idea how to access it

09-15-12, 05:41 PM   #43
lindawing
A Murloc Raider
Dugi--Until the fan update was posted, I had switched to using Dugi Questing Essential, Mappy (for the square, resizable minimap with coordinates), and a couple of other add-ons for sounds (which I'm still using, because I don't care for Carbonite's limited quest-completion sounds).

I was comfortable using all those, EXCEPT that I really NEED that resizable map-external questing arrow that Carbonite provides. My (nearly 63-year-old) eyes have a hard time with Blizz' tiny little questing arrow, which your add-on makes use of. I also don't like that that arrow DISAPPEARS when you are in close proximity to the quest objective, giving no further sense of direction if the objective is moving. Carbonite's tracking arrow keeps track of those changes of direction, generally speaking, which is helpful to me.

I, too, like the incorporated maps in Carbonite, and the ability to have the minimap shown within the small map, square, and docked when inside. I like the dungeon maps, etc., but often forget to use them. Mostly I'm just a quest tracker, and sometimes I use the right-click "go to" capabilities to find a cave entrance or something like that.

If Carbonite goes down completely, I will probably switch to your Essential add-on. Does the paid version expand quite a bit on the free one?

For now, I'm basically happy with the fan-modded version of Carbonite, and if the official version that was patched last week ever gets patched again to fix the problems it created with that patch, I'll happily go back to it. If not, then I was already considering Dugi Questing. Thank you for posting here.

Last edited by lindawing : 09-15-12 at 05:43 PM.

09-16-12, 03:21 PM   #44
LarryGatlin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by lindawing View Post
If Carbonite goes down completely, I will probably switch to your Essential add-on. Does the paid version expand quite a bit on the free one?
p
What paid version? Thought that went away a while back, reason there is only one version of Carbonite.

Reference http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914

1) Add-ons must be free of charge. All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on. 2) Add-on code must be completely visible. The programming code of an add-on must in no way be hidden or obfuscated, and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public

Unless I misunderstood what you were saying.

Last edited by LarryGatlin : 09-16-12 at 03:33 PM.

09-16-12, 03:56 PM   #45
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by LarryGatlin View Post
What paid version? Thought that went away a while back, reason there is only one version of Carbonite.

Reference http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914

1) Add-ons must be free of charge. All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on. 2) Add-on code must be completely visible. The programming code of an add-on must in no way be hidden or obfuscated, and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public

Unless I misunderstood what you were saying.
removed because it's my own thoughts and ponderings and asked about elsewhere.

Last edited by Rythal : 09-16-12 at 04:22 PM.

09-16-12, 08:52 PM   #46
LarryGatlin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
removed because it's my own thoughts and ponderings and asked about elsewhere.
? Now I am really getting confused!!! Must be the Old age thing. I was responding to lindawing on his remarks about Digi's addin which he stated the "free or Lite" version, if the "Paid" version was better.

Carbonite used to have a "Lite" version till Blizzard changed the rules to the above.

BTW, you did a great job on your fixes, still using it. Hopefully Faatal will have a new improved version when MOP goes live!!

Take Care

09-16-12, 09:55 PM   #47
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Originally Posted by LarryGatlin View Post
? Now I am really getting confused!!! Must be the Old age thing. I was responding to lindawing on his remarks about Digi's addin which he stated the "free or Lite" version, if the "Paid" version was better.

Carbonite used to have a "Lite" version till Blizzard changed the rules to the above.

BTW, you did a great job on your fixes, still using it. Hopefully Faatal will have a new improved version when MOP goes live!!

Take Care
Dont get confused I had posted a response to your comment, but then thought better of it because I don't like stirring up bees... and if people had read it, that's what would of happened.

09-16-12, 10:46 PM   #48
jeruku
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Here are some addons/services that are over looked by the average Carbonite user. Then again I use Armory anyway because of what it monitors. If you prefer mostly all-in-ones the Dugi kit doesn't look too shabby for questing, otherwise here's some minor tweaks one can use to alternate the play style.(I play demonology the way no other warlock would... without a demon.)

Warehouse = Armory

Quest Tracker = QuestGuru

Map = ....

Travel Routing = TomTom
(TomTomLite does Archaeology tracking as an added bonus... if you dislike bloat.)

Quest Guides = wowhead.com, wowwiki.com, wowpedia.com, etc.(I was once called a wow pro.)

Minimap POI's = QuestPointer

Last edited by jeruku : 09-16-12 at 10:47 PM. Reason: typos

09-17-12, 10:29 AM   #49
LarryGatlin
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
Dont get confused I had posted a response to your comment, but then thought better of it because I don't like stirring up bees... and if people had read it, that's what would of happened.
Ah, Understand, there appears to be enough flame wars going on, all over a "Game".

09-23-12, 07:39 AM   #50
Caremsis
A Fallenroot Satyr
RUMA:

http://rythal.com/

09-23-12, 01:13 PM   #51
eqsanctum
The Great Equalizer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Simulo View Post
Because people have nothing better to do than keep an addon, that tracks ALL THE QUESTS IN THE GAME, FOR BOTH SIDES, up-to-date. Think of all the quest information Carbonite tracks (Item Count, Location, Finish Point, Item Use Button, Time Limits, few more things that I probably can't think of). Point is, we're in this thread looking for an alternative to Carbonite, because Carbonite is:

a) Taking too long to update
b) Abandoned (see 'a' for plausible reason)

Uh no, when they wrote carbonite it required a database. There is no requirement for the database now. You can look up the quests in the log, temp store them while you have those quests only. DG's addon is great but there is no reason to not push farther. Also the in game quest tracker does not track something without an objective. that is flippin annoying beyond belief.

So...you want another Carbonite, so it can overwhelm the author, who will eventually decides to not update...and we'll be back in a thread like this one looking for an alternative to Dugi's addon.
Nope, we help Dugi upgrade to something better. The only limitation here is the unwillingness to strive for something better.

Blizzard's tracker works just fine. Though it would be nice to darken the highlighted area; at quick glance it is hard to miss in places like Vash or places were the quest location is over water.
It doesn't work fine. It is limited, a blatant ripoff of addon developers of the past, and can be improved immensely, otherwise this forum we're in right now wouldn't exist. You want to advocate an alternative, fine, make sure it's comparable.

As for quest/achievement tracking, that's your personal preference. Personally, I never went over a "zone's worth" of quests...never even touched the achievement tracking; takes up too much space.
Can you track 25 quests? Better yet, can you track non-objective quests? Nope. Can you show more then 10 achievement tracks? Nope. Does it show your daily resets? Again - You want to advocate an alternative, fine, make sure it's comparable.

-One of the things I hate about Carbonite is that it'll randomly reactivate tracking of a quest I specifically told it not to track. Like "Alliance Needs More Purple Lotus", I like to keep it just for the "lawlz" when I share it in a raid....nice to see how many remember it, sad when more and more don't
But, ya, I don't want it tracked, but Carbonite refuses to remember.
Good thing this isn't about Carbonite.

-Another thing that seriously pisses me off is the fact that each BG has it's own separate map container, so I have to reposition the BG "World Map" for every freak'n BG per new BG or redo of my UI. Why in God's name didn't they just use the World Map container so you move ONE frame ONCE and you're set.
Dunno what to tell ya there... /shrug

@Dugi

The mod is pretty much perfect as it is now. About the only thing I would add is a "zoomable world map" (much like Carbonite's). Doesn't even have to be this "Google Map"-style. Just something that I can zoom up on when resource nodes are in close proximity.
-If that's already in place, I have no idea how to access it
It's not perfect DG, you have an awesome addon. Your awesomeness shines through in it, its got heart and it shows. You can do better because you're awesome don't be held back by mediocrity strive for excellence.

09-23-12, 03:03 PM   #52
Rhoniel
A Kobold Labourer
haaa

its not the map its the

Quest complete voice I miss that the most

09-24-12, 01:26 AM   #53
Simulo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by eqsanctum View Post
snip
Then I would suggest DG make it completely modular.

-Map (like Carbonite's 'world map/BG map' that's always displayed [default])
-Quest Tracking
-"Taxi Cab" Arrow
-Warehouse
-Achievement Tracking
-Sound (ie quest completion, waypoint reach sound effects)
--probably a few more

Basically, try and modularize (don't think it's a work, but feck it!) based on like-API. That way if Blizzard changes something. It won't break the entire mod.

A good example would be Altoholic, which had it's Data Broker module break after the recent hotfix (5.0.5 I think). Because it was modular the rest of the addon remained fully operational.

//Side Note

-Sorry, I thought the Quest DB was needed to track beyond the '10 (or what ever it is) trackable quests at a time' limit. And what quests don't have an objective? Or is that in reference to not being able to track Achievements, which is just..."working as intended", it's a Quest tracker after all ().

-But there's no reason for DG to make his addon a "total replacement" addon, it'll just overwhelm him.

-(skip, Devs shouldn't be pissed off if Blizzard incorporates a change that they did as an addon)

-Again, why would you want a screen section full of text? If it's a simple fix then fine, but if it's a long involved process of shoe-horning API calls to the Questing API into a temp DB then F-it, not worth it.

-Dailies reset midnight, server time; check the clock

-As for the purple lotus thing, the point was that Carbonite's quest tracking system (which doesn't use Blizzard's) is flawed, I don't want DG's turning into something like that.

-Again, pointing out why DG is fine as it is. The more people want it to do, the worse it will become. It was probably easier for Carbonite's team to just make a new container to put the BG Maps into than to get them to work with in one "Map Container". I want it nice and simple so if DG decides to move on others can quickly pick it up and maintain it.

--Again, make it modular. Please DG.

09-24-12, 01:50 AM   #54
roylepython
A Defias Bandit
Question

Hmmmm im new here so i dont understand the personality clashes. Carbonite was a amazing addon but from what ive seen there has been no updates for it and is it dead or i read somewhere once a fan version was being made until a non returning author returned cus id love to use it again.

Secondly im seeing alot of things about "Paid" addons and people who Purchased things which is why this flaming is happening doesnt that break wow ToS to pay for addons

"All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on."

or has this changed now?

09-24-12, 02:18 AM   #55
Heian
A Kobold Labourer
No, this hasn't changed, addons must be free of charge. Otherwise the authors would have to pay a license to Blizzard. Which doesn't happen.

09-24-12, 02:37 AM   #56
roylepython
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Heian View Post
No, this hasn't changed, addons must be free of charge. Otherwise the authors would have to pay a license to Blizzard. Which doesn't happen.
Im so glad im at a loss for why this is even beginning to be a point i came back here to look if these awesome authors had come up with a new version of carbonite or a newer version made from the old after all

2) Add-on code must be completely visible.

The programming code of an add-on must in no way be hidden or obfuscated, and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public.

and my only reason for pointing this out is people are arguing over who started it... Does it matter as long as World of Warcraft users still see the benefit into Mist of Pandaria and it doesnt go into the LOST addons realm. Carbonite WAS a great addon it looks like slowly its being super seeded either because its authors were too busy to play and update it or real life took over i hope carbonite does get a revamp or i hope someone picks it up as it saves MANY hours game play so respect to the original author btw HERE is Blizzards addon policy that im refering to in the HOPE this addon returns

09-24-12, 11:25 AM   #57
Entropyutd
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Maeby View Post
I would even go so far as to say, that most of the time, I would prefer to have nothing but the map!

Has no one, even Carbonite themselves, made an addon that is just the fabulous map?
I echo the comments here.
If these guys just want to take the donations and do sod all with the add on, then maybe someone out there could just do a map add on.

The map is the ONLY thing stopping me ditching this add on.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite Alternative for MoP