03-24-09, 07:12 PM   #1
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Donations for Authors

Authors spend countless hours developing, debugging, and supporting their addons. WoWInterface supports these authors' contributions to the community, and has provided them with another visible way to receive some form of benefit for these contributions.

Now in addition to allowing authors to show a donation link on their file description page, we have created a donation overlay that will show any time someone downloads an addon on which the author has enabled donation requests. Authors have the ability to turn on this overlay when they update their AddOns. As well, we also now support Pledgie donation links in addition to PayPal. More infomation about how to set up PayPal or Pledgie for use with our overlay or your file description is in our Author Donation FAQ.

In no way should you feel pressured to donate to an author, however, should you wish to show your support for the time which they have invested, feel free to do so. There is an option to turn off the overlay notices if you wish not to see them. More information about enabling and disabling your ability to see them is in our User Donation FAQ.

Also, please note that when our new updater is ready, we will be coming up with a way to have donation links for authors available on it as well.

Thank you to Tekkub for his assistance in providing the information on how to set up a Pledgie account.

Last edited by Cairenn : 03-24-09 at 09:25 PM.
03-24-09, 07:53 PM   #2
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Kudos to the WoWI team!

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
03-24-09, 08:01 PM   #3
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Awesome! Still needs some debugging / fixing, though. But the idea is wonderful! Great job!!
03-24-09, 08:10 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
Awesome! Still needs some debugging / fixing, though. But the idea is wonderful! Great job!!
Post any bugs you find in it in the Site Bugs forum, please.
03-24-09, 08:15 PM   #5
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post

Thank you to Tekkub for his assistance in providing the information on how to set up a Pledgie account.
Would it be possible to get a minimal 'user tutorial' as well? I've used Pledgie a couple times, and had no issue with it, save one. I normally have to reload pages because I'm a paranoid nutjob and my settings don't get saved (namely, donating anonymously). Although, it would be a good incentive for the users to actually be able to "show their support". I just get wierded out if I visit a website and still see my name (username) still there from the last time I made a donation. Yeah, I really am a nutjob .

To the rest of the new features, and the support you all here are giving the authors in defense of their rights, I applaud you in being a class act.
03-24-09, 08:48 PM   #6
Tekkub
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Yeah, I really am a nutjob .
Yea I don't want you nutmoney. I will, however, gladly accept your nutbutter.

I'll see if I can get a lil FAQ tossed together later tonight that san be added to the dialog box. But first, I need to get all my addon donation settings set up.

Ah thank god I know how to write scripts, that'd take forever without one.
03-24-09, 09:05 PM   #7
Tristanian
Andúril
Premium Member
Despite the fact that I don't even bother with donations, this is...tempting. Good job guys...and gals .
03-25-09, 04:07 AM   #8
Fuzzywuzzy
A Black Drake

Authors spend countless hours developing, debugging, and supporting their addons. WoWInterface supports these authors' contributions to the community, and has provided them with another visible way to receive some form of benefit for these contributions.

In no way should you feel pressured to donate to an author, however, should you wish to show your support for the time which they have invested, feel free to do so.

How can you not feel a bit of pressure?

This is not a for/against donations discussions. I think authors do a great job and deserve it, it's only to show my primary reaction to how i see/read it.

It's a bit like in game adds:

WTS [Enchanting] free your mats, tips are welcome

So yes i do feel pressured even though you say i shouldn't.
03-25-09, 06:00 AM   #9
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
How can you not feel a bit of pressure?

This is not a for/against donations discussions. I think authors do a great job and deserve it, it's only to show my primary reaction to how i see/read it.

It's a bit like in game adds:

WTS [Enchanting] free your mats, tips are welcome

So yes i do feel pressured even though you say i shouldn't.
No offense mate but this isn't the same thing, and any pressure you are feeling is your own.. nothing any of us can help with.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » Donations for Authors