04-26-16, 11:57 AM   #1
coldfiredi
how can i disable chat completely

what can i do completely turn off chat. i tried the following macros but they need to be pressed every time. i want to turn it off and never see it, and not need to press a button every loggin

/run _CHATHIDE=not _CHATHIDE for i=1,NUM_CHAT_WINDOWS do for _,v in pairs{"","Tab"}do local f=_G["ChatFrame"..i..v]if _CHATHIDE then f.v=f:IsVisible()end f.ORShow=f.ORShow or f.Show f.Show=_CHATHIDE and f.Hide or f.ORShow if f.v then f:Show()end end end

ChatFrame1:Hide()
ChatFrame2:Hide()
ChatFrame3:Hide()
ChatFrame4:Hide()
ChatFrame5:Hide()
04-26-16, 05:10 PM   #2
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Lua Code:
  1. --  Close extra chatframes
  2. for i=NUM_CHAT_WINDOWS,2,-1 do
  3.     local f=_G["ChatFrame"..i];
  4.     if f then FCF_Close(f); end
  5. end
  7. --  Stop chat code
  8. function FCF_DockUpdate() end--     Stop dock updates (Re-shows selected chat window randomly)
  9. ChatFrame1:UnregisterAllEvents();-- Stop events (Not necessarily needed, but frees up CPU and stops whisper sounds)
  11. --  Hide frames
  12. ChatFrame1:Hide();--            Chat Window
  13. ChatFrame1Tab:Hide();--         Chat Tab
  14. ChatFrameMenuButton:Hide();--       Chat Menu Button
  15. FriendsMicroButton:Hide();--        Social Button

Follow the URL below and copy/paste the code into the Lua File text box. Be sure to give it a unique and descriptive name in the Folder Name box. Click Create AddOn and it should wrap it up for you into your own addon.
http://addon.bool.no/
04-26-16, 05:37 PM   #3
coldfiredi
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
Lua Code:
  1. --  Close extra chatframes
  2. for i=NUM_CHAT_WINDOWS,2,-1 do
  3.     local f=_G["ChatFrame"..i];
  4.     if f then FCF_Close(f); end
  5. end
  7. --  Stop chat code
  8. function FCF_DockUpdate() end--     Stop dock updates (Re-shows selected chat window randomly)
  9. ChatFrame1:UnregisterAllEvents();-- Stop events (Not necessarily needed, but frees up CPU and stops whisper sounds)
  11. --  Hide frames
  12. ChatFrame1:Hide();--            Chat Window
  13. ChatFrame1Tab:Hide();--         Chat Tab
  14. ChatFrameMenuButton:Hide();--       Chat Menu Button
  15. FriendsMicroButton:Hide();--        Social Button

Follow the URL below and copy/paste the code into the Lua File text box. Be sure to give it a unique and descriptive name in the Folder Name box. Click Create AddOn and it should wrap it up for you into your own addon.
http://addon.bool.no/

for some reason this did not work fully. the window becomes white, the buttons do go away and the tab name goes away, however the window is white and the combat log is still showing
04-26-16, 05:56 PM   #4
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It worked fine for me using just the default UI. I'm not sure what could be causing the difference unless you have another addon messing with the chatframes too.
04-26-16, 05:59 PM   #5
coldfiredi
It worked fine for me using just the default UI. I'm not sure what could be causing the difference unless you have another addon messing with the chatframes too.
i turned off all addons, i added a few more lines. i was able to remove the log and the tabs and white background, but my chat box keeps showing sill loading text

Code:
-- This file is loaded from "Chat Hide.toc"

--  Close extra chatframes
for i=NUM_CHAT_WINDOWS,2,-1 do
    local f=_G["ChatFrame"..i];
    if f then FCF_Close(f); end
end

--  Stop chat code
function FCF_DockUpdate() end--     Stop dock updates (Re-shows selected chat window randomly)
ChatFrame1:UnregisterAllEvents();-- Stop events (Not necessarily needed, but frees up CPU and stops whisper sounds)
ChatFrame2:UnregisterAllEvents();-- Stop events (Not necessarily needed, but frees up CPU and stops whisper sounds)

--  Hide frames
ChatFrame1Tab:Hide();--         Chat Tab
ChatFrame1:Hide();--            Chat Window
ChatFrame1Background:Hide();--  Chat Background
ChatFrame2Tab:Hide();--         Log Tab
ChatFrame2:Hide();--            Log Window
ChatFrame2Background:Hide();--  Log Background
ChatFrame2:Hide();--            Chat Window
ChatFrameMenuButton:Hide();--       Chat Menu Button
FriendsMicroButton:Hide();--        Social Button

Last edited by coldfiredi : 04-26-16 at 06:04 PM.
04-26-16, 06:29 PM   #6
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Strange the background textures need to be explicitly hidden. The XML defines them as being parented to the ChatFrames themselves. You also have ChatFrame2:Hide() being called twice. Can you get a screenshot posted?
04-26-16, 06:37 PM   #7
coldfiredi
Strange the background textures need to be explicitly hidden. The XML defines them as being parented to the ChatFrames themselves. You also have ChatFrame2:Hide() being called twice. Can you get a screenshot posted?
yes i saw that, i fixed it and added more code because the darn boarders wouldnt go away...driving me nuts...i run 3440x1440 resolution so i had to snip my screen because imgur wont let me upload images of that size.. i can also right click on the box and get my menu like lock window, chat setting etc, it leaves the weird edit box and u can see i told it to hide.

https://imgur.com/a/iIv7d

Code:
-- This file is loaded from "Chat Hide.toc"

--  Close extra chatframes
for i=NUM_CHAT_WINDOWS,2,-1 do
    local f=_G["ChatFrame"..i];
    if f then FCF_Close(f); end
end

--  Stop chat code
function FCF_DockUpdate() end--     Stop dock updates (Re-shows selected chat window randomly)
ChatFrame1:UnregisterAllEvents();-- Stop events (Not necessarily needed, but frees up CPU and stops whisper sounds)
ChatFrame2:UnregisterAllEvents();-- Stop events (Not necessarily needed, but frees up CPU and stops whisper sounds)

--  Hide frames
ChatFrame1Tab:Hide();--         Chat Tab
ChatFrame1:Hide();--            Chat Window
ChatFrame1Background:Hide();--  Chat Background
ChatFrame1EditBox:Hide();--  	Chat Edit Box
ChatFrame1TopTexture:Hide();--  Chat Texture
ChatFrame1BottomTexture:Hide();--  Chat Texture
ChatFrame1RightTexture:Hide();--  Chat Texture
ChatFrame1LeftTexture:Hide();--  Chat Texture
ChatFrame2Tab:Hide();--         Log Tab
ChatFrame2:Hide();--            Log Window
ChatFrame2Background:Hide();--  Log Background
ChatFrame2EditBox:Hide();--  	Log Edit Box
ChatFrameMenuButton:Hide();--       Chat Menu Button
FriendsMicroButton:Hide();--        Social Button

here is the old code macro i run and it works, but i cant stand having to keep pressing it EVERY reload or scene change
Code:
/run _CHATHIDE=not _CHATHIDE for i=1,NUM_CHAT_WINDOWS do for _,v in pairs{"","Tab"}do local f=_G["ChatFrame"..i..v]if _CHATHIDE then f.v=f:IsVisible()end f.ORShow=f.ORShow or f.Show f.Show=_CHATHIDE and f.Hide or f.ORShow if f.v then f:Show()end end end
04-26-16, 08:00 PM   #8
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I am under the impression that spaces are not allowed by WoW in folder names, and therefore, because it has to match, not in the .toc file either. You can use the underscore _ character, if you wish, and !MyAddOn is also valid. In that case, !MyAddOn is is alphabetically a higher priority than MyAddOn, and would load first.

Most of the time, using ! as part of the AddOn's name is not recommended, unless you are trying to force load order. That gets messy, which is why ##OptionalDeps and ##Dependencies exist in .toc files.

Call your AddOn ChatHide not Chat Hide.
04-26-16, 08:11 PM   #9
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

It appears the chat settings file was overriding our modifications. I rewrote the code to run after the settings are loaded.

Lua Code:
  1. local EventFrame=CreateFrame("Frame");
  2. EventFrame:RegisterEvent("UPDATE_CHAT_WINDOWS");
  3. EventFrame:SetScript("OnEvent",function(self,event,...)
  4.     self:UnregisterEvent(event);--  Unregister now, FCF_ResetChatWindows() causes this event to fire
  6.     FCF_ResetChatWindows();--   Reset all chat settings (This does most of our work)
  7.     FCF_Close(ChatFrame2);--    Close combat log
  9. --  ChatFrame1 is a special case, we need to do everything ourselves
  10.     HideUIPanel(ChatFrame1);
  11.     ChatFrame1Tab:Hide();
  12.     ChatFrame_RemoveAllMessageGroups(ChatFrame1);
  13.     ChatFrame_RemoveAllChannels(ChatFrame1);
  14.     ChatFrame_ReceiveAllPrivateMessages(ChatFrame1);
  16. --  Secure way to make sure ChatFrame1 doesn't re-show from FCF_DockUpdate()
  17.     ChatFrame1:SetScript("OnShow",ChatFrame1.Hide);
  18.     ChatFrame1Tab:SetScript("OnShow",ChatFrame1Tab.Hide);
  19. end);
  21. ChatFrameMenuButton:Hide();--       Chat Menu Button
  22. FriendsMicroButton:Hide();--        Social Button

Note: This messes with the chat settings file and is recommended to run /resetchat after removing this addon to restore functionality.

Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
I am under the impression that spaces are not allowed by WoW in folder names, and therefore, because it has to match, not in the .toc file either.
Apparently, since the code is loading, spaces are supported. It does make me cringe a little, but this has been proven now to be a non-issue.

Last edited by SDPhantom : 04-26-16 at 08:25 PM.
04-26-16, 08:26 PM   #10
coldfiredi
Bingo! this is working FLAWLESS! sooo one more question, can this be done with the objective frame? i sort of had it working but it breaks when i leave a BG or dungeon. i honestly dont do quests. though i understand you can turn off auto tracking and then untrack quests, is it possible to hide it all together, since bonus quests are automatically added when in specific areas of the game, like ashran etc. its probably easier to just remove the frame all together.
04-26-16, 08:33 PM   #11
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There should be a collapse button that closes the entire frame on the right side of the top header. Do you just want it initially collapsed or have the entire frame permanently removed?
04-26-16, 08:40 PM   #12
coldfiredi
There should be a collapse button that closes the entire frame on the right side of the top header. Do you just want it initially collapsed or have the entire frame permanently removed?
well when i collapse it, it continues to open again after the game loads again, like if you finish an instance etc. removing it all together is just easier for me, i truly dont use it. plus i dont like seeing the text. im a rare case, i just feel if you dont use it, why see it or need it. once i have it setup ill be switching back to 10320X1440 resoultion, immersion is much better, and with a cleaner interface its just much nicer.
04-26-16, 09:30 PM   #13
SDPhantom
A Pyroguard Emberseer

These two lines should do the trick. The first sets the frame into collapsed mode. The second hides the entire thing.

Code:
ObjectiveTracker_Collapse();
ObjectiveTrackerFrame:Hide();
04-27-16, 05:24 AM   #14
coldfiredi
These two lines should do the trick. The first sets the frame into collapsed mode. The second hides the entire thing.

Code:
ObjectiveTracker_Collapse();
ObjectiveTrackerFrame:Hide();
this worked perfect. as a note for anyone else using this, if you use shadow and light for ELV, u need to comment out the quest module of this wont work because S&L overwrites this.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » how can i disable chat completely