11-03-10, 12:07 PM   #1
Nocturna
A Fallenroot Satyr
Quest Location Error-Corrections

Like everyone, I'm seeing more and more factual errors in where Carbonite says to go to find quest items or to turn in completed quests. I'm also seeing many more quests that Carbonite says it knows nothing about (tracking button is red with "not in database" on mouseover). Sometimes the location errors are only a few yards, but other times they are significantly larger.

In other cases the information is technically correct but not the best choice. Example: One of the Jewelcrafting dailies in Dalaran requires an Ivory Bone from either a Northrend Shoveltusk or a Northrend Mammoth. Carbonite's only pointer is to the southwestern coast of Howling Fjord (for a few sparsely-scattered Shoveltusks) when in fact there are entire herds of Mammoths galloping around and even better, tightly confined within the small valley in front of the Sons of Hodir enclave in Storm Peaks- approximately ten times closer to Dalaran than the southwest coast of Howling Fjord. So, while technically correct (there ARE a few Shoveltusks on the coast of HF and they DO drop the quest item) the Carbonite inforomation is simply goofy, by far not the best option and inexplicable how it got that way.

Yet there is no easy or even workable way for us, who do these quests every day, to correct the Carbonite info. On dailies, yes, we can correct them because they occur more than once and are therefore easier to remember and report. But on non-repeatable quests, by the time we figure out that there is an error, it's too late- the quest is completed and Carbonite no longer shows its erroneous location info for us to report!

Yes, I realize that the authors of this great addon would like for us to notify them on these forums of errors so that they can correct them. Right attitude, wrong methodology!

The only way for me to discover that Carbonite is grossly in error is to go where Carb points me to go, discover that there is no way the items are actually there, hunt around or use Thottbot/Wowhead (etc.) to actually find the items and complete the quest by finding the items involved. At that point, once the items have been found, Carbonite no longer shows me where it "thought" the items were, since I have already gathered them. So the only way for me to specify the error to Carbonite authors is to carefully document (pencil and paper notes on every item!!!) each and every location where Carb takes me, then carefully document where I actually find each and every item, compare those locations and hand-report those that vary by quitting or tabbing out of WoW and cumbersomely logging onto a website, navigating my way to the error-reporting section if I can find it, and hand-entering my laborious notes into that website. NOT!

C'mon, guys. I doubt there is a human being on the planet who plays WoW that way, taking laborious notes of every location where the addon sends him, and for what, and the name of the quest, and the stage of the quest (Part 1, Part 2, etc.) and then making more notes of where the items actually drop, then comparing those locations against each other, blah blah blah.

In the past, I used a questing addon that automatically stored the actual locations where I FOUND quest-related stuff in a single, easily-uploadable file, and had a button in its Options interface which quickly and painlessly uploaded that file to the author's dev site. In that way, not only were errors quickly corrected, but new information was quickly gathered when Blizz published new quests. Best of all, it all happened behind the scenes in real time, requiring nothing more from me than an occasional in-game button-push to automatically upload my info.

It sure would be user-friendly of you guys to give Carbonite such a capability, and it would also improve the addon immeasurably by making it much more accurate and eliminating all the location omissions and errors.

Thanks.

Last edited by Nocturna : 11-03-10 at 12:12 PM. Reason: spelling, amplify

11-05-10, 04:42 PM   #2
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hi Nocturna,

Thanks for your comments and I totally agree. The database of late has gotten a little crusty in places. This has been due to various reasons but we are in the process of remedying the situation.

Beginning with Cataclysm we are implementing a new system to process our captured data and will be rapidly replacing all our location data. I actually just made this post in the general forum.

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Regards,

Last edited by Haavok : 11-05-10 at 04:44 PM. Reason: fixed link :)

11-05-10, 04:49 PM   #3
Haavok

In addition, while we appreciate people taking the time to post corrections in our forum the simplest way to contribute and help update the database is to send in your lua saved variables. Instructions here.

Thanks,

11-06-10, 12:44 AM   #4
Gendou
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I wonder if there is a way for addon developers to access Blizzard's own "go here for quest items" information they added in 4.0.1... it would make a jumping-off point for Carbonite once 4.0.3 is implemented, at least until sufficient players have submitted their lua files.

11-07-10, 07:40 AM   #5
Haavok

Originally Posted by Gendou View Post
I wonder if there is a way for addon developers to access Blizzard's own "go here for quest items" information they added in 4.0.1... it would make a jumping-off point for Carbonite once 4.0.3 is implemented, at least until sufficient players have submitted their lua files.
Yes there is and that's exactly what we're going to do.

12-03-10, 08:34 PM   #6
Nocturna
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Haavok View Post
Hi Nocturna,

Thanks for your comments and I totally agree. The database of late has gotten a little crusty in places. This has been due to various reasons but we are in the process of remedying the situation.

Beginning with Cataclysm we are implementing a new system to process our captured data and will be rapidly replacing all our location data. I actually just made this post in the general forum.

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Regards,
WOOT! Just emailed my ...\Saved Variables\...\...\Carbonite.lua file per your instructions! Thanks for addressing this concern. Looking forward to the day when Carb has a button on its interface labeled "Upload Your Quest/Gathering data!"

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Quest Location Error-Corrections