11-23-09, 03:14 AM   #1
blecap
A Defias Bandit
carbonite vs questhlper

i'm debating which to use. for fast leveling?
anyone experience user can share their views.
11-23-09, 05:27 AM   #2
Tincup
The Grumpy One

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There are many many threads about this..... But my addon of choice is Carbonite. Carbonite has more features, but that may not be what you are looking for in a questing addon. I say download them both and give each a try!
11-23-09, 03:21 PM   #3
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

<!-- Begin subliminal message -->Get Carbonite<!-- End subliminal message -->
11-23-09, 04:07 PM   #4
Bornabe
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

I would suggest using Cartographer + Cartographer QuestInfo actually. It's much lighter weight and even simpler to deal with and you'll get little red dots on your Map where your Quest Objectives are at. I shrink the size of the dots and just open my map and go to the closest cluster. Fairly easy way to go.

I've always had troubles with QuestHelper and Carbonite I just can't get into for some reason, but both are VERY well-developed and fully packed with lots of features you may like. Try 1, then try the other, that'll be your 'best' way to decide which to use.
11-23-09, 05:41 PM   #5
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
<!-- Begin subliminal message -->Get Carbonite<!-- End subliminal message -->
The message you have entered is too short! What ^ Said.
11-23-09, 07:57 PM   #6
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Download both.

Set out 2 afternoons to play with both.

Both QH and Carbonite have their advantages and disadvantages to a player.

Go with w/e fits in with your play style.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
11-27-09, 07:26 PM   #7
Arox
A Murloc Raider
i use lightheaded + tomtom. lightheaded pulls comments right off of wowhead.com and when someone posts cords, you can click them and tomtom will point you towards the coordinates and also show how many yards away it is from your current position.
12-03-09, 06:10 PM   #8
saphera55
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Tour Guide - Tom Tom - Lightheaded
12-06-09, 08:54 PM   #9
Tkmstr1009
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Carbonite is slightly inferior to QuestHelper in terms of tracking your quests and routing waypoints. Some people also don't like the Google Maps concept that Carbonite employs. I myself use Carbonite, but since most of my characters are level 80, I have no need for any power-questing addon. Carbonite is just fine for my casual questing needs.
12-06-09, 11:50 PM   #10
aceman67
A Theradrim Guardian

I prefer Carbonite + Gatherer + WoWheadDB. Makes Farming mats a lot easier with Carbonite's Routing feature.
12-07-09, 12:17 AM   #11
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If that's all you're using Carbonite for, get Routes. It works either with Gatherer or GatherMate - and if you do replace Gatherer with GatherMate, there's also GatherMate Data which is updated weekly.

/derail

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.
12-07-09, 12:39 AM   #12
Vraan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
As already said, giving them both a try might be best. I prefer Questhelper, because I don't like the google-ish maps and general look of Carbonite. And I always have to tweak Carbonites settings to show things I want and dont want, while with Questhelper I can just install it and go. I think it depends how many options you want, really. Carbonite has alot of neat features, but if you just want to follow the dots on your map, I'd probably say Questhelper.
12-07-09, 02:30 AM   #13
Ibutsu
A Murloc Raider
Carbonite.

QuestHelper's good, and looks good.
Carbonite is pretty ugly, but it has better navigation tools, and detects nearby enemies.
12-07-09, 04:29 AM   #14
Ariele
A Cyclonian

I like carbonite better because of the features others mentioned and the biggest reason is that questhelper somehow using over 30mb where carbonite is highest up around 13mb. Maybe its just my setup that do that but it eats to much ram for a mod and very often crash my game.
12-15-09, 02:08 AM   #15
eomer
A Theradrim Guardian

It also depends on the language group you play in. In EU English servers I have no problems with both, but for RU I can only use Questhelper as Carbonite doesn't work with RU (at least it wasn't last time I tried).

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » carbonite vs questhlper