04-30-09, 09:26 PM   #1
Astrocanis
A Black Drake
Tooltip Placement

No matter what I do, my tooltips are either on the bottom right (default) on top of the right panel, or on the far left.

Selecting anchor point of mouse does nothing but move it to the top left.

It would be nice to either have this fixed or give an option to turn NUI tooltips off.

Thanks, Scott.

04-30-09, 09:36 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Have you tried using "/nui movers" yet?

04-30-09, 09:38 PM   #3
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
OKay...

First, '/nui movers' allows you to move the tooltip anchor anywhere you want it.

Second, '/nui tooltips default' does turn nUI management of tooltips off.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

05-31-09, 10:40 PM   #4
Catreina
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
turning tooltip management off works fine, except for the unit mouseover.

It worked perfectly fine as 'default' with CowTip installed, and CowTip's placement stood - however, since today's update, no matter what I do, the default setting over-places the unit mouseover to the upper left corner. It starts in the place I have CowTip putting it, but then 'snaps' to that upper left position.

Again, the ONLY thing that I changed was updating from 5.03.05 to 5.03.06 and this change occurred. It is quite disturbing to have all my tooltips appropriately placed for .5 seconds and then have them snap somewhere else

And with "default" on, '/nui movers' shows no tooltip movement bar

Note: regressing back to 5.03.05 resolved the issue, so I know it is a conflict between CowTip (at least) and the newest developer version of nUI (5.03.06)

Last edited by Catreina : 05-31-09 at 10:57 PM.

06-01-09, 04:04 AM   #5
ThaOne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Catreina View Post
turning tooltip management off works fine, except for the unit mouseover.

It worked perfectly fine as 'default' with CowTip installed, and CowTip's placement stood - however, since today's update, no matter what I do, the default setting over-places the unit mouseover to the upper left corner. It starts in the place I have CowTip putting it, but then 'snaps' to that upper left position.

Again, the ONLY thing that I changed was updating from 5.03.05 to 5.03.06 and this change occurred. It is quite disturbing to have all my tooltips appropriately placed for .5 seconds and then have them snap somewhere else

And with "default" on, '/nui movers' shows no tooltip movement bar

Note: regressing back to 5.03.05 resolved the issue, so I know it is a conflict between CowTip (at least) and the newest developer version of nUI (5.03.06)
I have this same problem Scott.
I use a simple addon called TooltipOnMouse and it's always worked fine with nui's tooltips on default state.. until this update.
Something in the update borked it =(

06-01-09, 04:07 AM   #6
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by ThaOne View Post
I have this same problem Scott.
I use a simple addon called TooltipOnMouse and it's always worked fine with nui's tooltips on default state.. until this update.
Something in the update borked it =(
What does that mod do? If the only thing is does is locate the tooltip where the mouse is, you should use the ability built into nUI to do that rather than another mod. If it's doing something else, then okay.

In the meantime, I'm looking into why the change has caused the tooltips to change location. That shouldn't have.

06-01-09, 04:34 AM   #7
ThaOne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
What does that mod do? If the only thing is does is locate the tooltip where the mouse is, you should use the ability built into nUI to do that rather than another mod. If it's doing something else, then okay.

In the meantime, I'm looking into why the change has caused the tooltips to change location. That shouldn't have.
not everything shows on the mouse with nUI for me.. never did.
So I had the tooltiponmouse thing and used nui's on default

06-01-09, 10:40 AM   #8
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Try using the slash command "/nui tooltips mouse" minus the quotes of course That should force all your tooltips to be wherever the mouse is.

06-01-09, 05:48 PM   #9
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

Yea same deal with tiptac scott if i can help at all getting it figured out let me know

06-01-09, 09:57 PM   #10
ThaOne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Try using the slash command "/nui tooltips mouse" minus the quotes of course That should force all your tooltips to be wherever the mouse is.
I currently already have it trying to put the tooltips on mouse, but it does not show on the mouse for everything. Like units show on the middle left, but quest log item tooltips do show at the mouse.
The whole reason I'd left this being handled by an external addon was because I always had this problem.
I'll try the slash command, but I use nUIGUI to configure nUI. I don't remember if I'd tried the slash command in the past before getting the gui anyways.

edit: Nope, slash command is no different.

Last edited by ThaOne : 06-01-09 at 10:01 PM.

06-01-09, 10:20 PM   #11
Solgath
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

i've always have had a problem with nUI tooltips, its why i use Cowtip, that and Cowtip works well with mobinfo, i like to have my tooltips all in one place, having nUI handle the tooltips is fine for Units, but anything else is where u highlight, like bag items and skill discription.

06-02-09, 11:39 AM   #12
ThaOne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Solgath View Post
i've always have had a problem with nUI tooltips, its why i use Cowtip, that and Cowtip works well with mobinfo, i like to have my tooltips all in one place, having nUI handle the tooltips is fine for Units, but anything else is where u highlight, like bag items and skill discription.
My issue has always been units. Now with nUI the tooltip hops around and usually disappears on loot need/greed windows in addition to throwing the unit tooltips to the side of the screen. The one thing I did notice it actually keeping the tooltip on the mouse were item tooltips from either the quest log or my bags/bank.
With this update though, it doesn't even toss the tooltip handling to the default like it should when you choose that option, so I finally just rolled back to .05

06-02-09, 05:10 PM   #13
Catreina
A Defias Bandit
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
The reason I use CowTip is because of DogTags - you can make the tooltips look any way you want, through DogTag modifications. I love to customize things based on target level, hostility, etc. You simply cannot do that with nUI's defaults (or blizzard for that matter)

06-03-09, 10:35 AM   #14
byteasc
A Cyclonian
I'm seeing some odd issues with Tips over loot in need/greed windows. The tooltip shows for a second then disappears, but sometimes it'll stay and show up just fine.

I don't remember this happening before, but I'm going to revert to previous build and see if it is an nUI thing with new tooltip functionality or an issue with new patch and some other mod

06-03-09, 02:34 PM   #15
spiritwulf
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by byteasc View Post
I'm seeing some odd issues with Tips over loot in need/greed windows. The tooltip shows for a second then disappears, but sometimes it'll stay and show up just fine.

I don't remember this happening before, but I'm going to revert to previous build and see if it is an nUI thing with new tooltip functionality or an issue with new patch and some other mod
Yup im havin the same thing happen. In large part it apears to be depndent on if there is more than one loot item. If there are 2 loot items on the screen at the same time the tooltip for that item will blink on for a sec then off as you mouseover it.
not for pleasure
but for survival

06-03-09, 05:03 PM   #16
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Those of you who are having issues with the tooltips... can you please try installing the attached file into your [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Units ] directory and let me know if it resolved the problem or not?
Attached Files
File Type: lua nUI_UnitFrame.lua (26.0 KB, 569 views)

06-03-09, 11:14 PM   #17
Arctos
Premium Member
Premium Member
The new unitframe file you attached seems to be working while nUI and TipTac are the only mods installed. I ran around Org for a few minutes just hovering the mouse over everything I could and I didn't get any weird behavior like warping tooltips (which is why I searched out this thread).

EDIT - I haven't tested the new file regarding the loot windows since I noticed my particular problem while standing at the bank.

That being said - in my particular case I probably wouldn't use a third party tooltip mod if I could change how the tooltip box expands. The default is for it to anchor itself at the bottom right and expand toward the top left. Well, I want the exact opposite of that, anchor at the top left and expand toward the bottom right. The way it expands now doesn't align correctly with another frame I have it sitting against. So, is there a way I can change this in the LUA and will there be a way to change this in a future build?

Last edited by Arctos : 06-03-09 at 11:27 PM.

06-03-09, 11:48 PM   #18
ThaOne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thusfar it works fine.
I'm using my tooltip addon though and it works just as before thusfar.

I've yet to run an instance tho, so when I do I will edit this post.

Thanks for the diligent work as always!

06-04-09, 04:06 AM   #19
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Arctos -- are you using the '/nui tooltips fixed' option?

If so, you can edit [ Interface > AddOns > nUI > Integration > nUI_Tooltips.lua ] and change the following...

Code:
    if GameTooltip.fCache and nUI_Options.tooltips == "fixed" or not owner or owner == UIParent then

tooltip:Hide();

local overlay = GameTooltip.fCache.overlay;

nUI_SavedTooltip_SetOwner( tooltip, owner or UIParent, "ANCHOR_NONE" );

tooltip:ClearAllPoints();
        tooltip:SetPoint( "BOTTOMRIGHT", UIParent, "BOTTOMLEFT", overlay:GetRight(), overlay:GetBottom() );
To read as follows (note the blue highlights... they are the changes)

Code:
    if GameTooltip.fCache and nUI_Options.tooltips == "fixed" or not owner or owner == UIParent then

tooltip:Hide();

local overlay = GameTooltip.fCache.overlay;

nUI_SavedTooltip_SetOwner( tooltip, owner or UIParent, "ANCHOR_NONE" );

tooltip:ClearAllPoints();
        tooltip:SetPoint( "TOPLEFT", UIParent, "BOTTOMLEFT", overlay:GetLeft(), overlay:GetTop() );

06-04-09, 08:30 AM   #20
mcphie
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I'm having a similar issue since upgrading. I don't have any other tooptip mods active and have nUI set to default tooltip position. For me it is only the tooltip from when you hover over a PC or NPC. The tooptip jumps up to the top left whenever nUI adds the health mana info etc to the tooltip. Hope this helps.

On a side note, just wondering if you can distinguish between say item and player tooltips. Wodering if its possible to leave item toopltips as default, but change player tooltips to a fixed position?

Cheers, Jonny

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » Tooltip Placement