12-29-07, 12:48 PM   #1
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Baggins vs ArkInventory?

So, people have been talking about Baggins. I see it's also another category based Inventory manager; this is important being a druid, with (literally) 4 full sets of armor (working on a 5th [pvp]). I found having each of my pieces in their own little category/section is extremely help and makes it unbelievably easier to locate armor pieces.

However, ArkInventory has been giving me some issues in the past; some annoyances, some random bugs here and there, compatibility bugs and so forth. The support on ArkInventory is less than great, too, as the author doesn't appear to give his users the benefits of a doubt and assumes them, for the lack of a better word, "dumb" when it comes to ArkInventory mod bugs. To say the least, I'm not impressed with his lack of explanation to issues that may be beyond his control.

Now, I'm looking around at other addons. Is Baggins better than ArkInvetory? Is it less "heavy"? I see there is an Outfitter addon, which would be totally awesome if it auto-categorized my armor based on my Outfitter profiles. However, it hasn't been updated in several months. Does it work? Does it still work?

Any other info? Which do you all prefer? How is the support with Baggins?
12-29-07, 03:01 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by guice
However, ArkInventory has been giving me some issues in the past; some annoyances, some random bugs here and there, compatibility bugs and so forth. The support on ArkInventory is less than great, too, as the author doesn't appear to give his users the benefits of a doubt and assumes them, for the lack of a better word, "dumb" when it comes to ArkInventory mod bugs. To say the least, I'm not impressed with his lack of explanation to issues that may be beyond his control.
What are you talking about? I've never seen him treat users like they were dumb. And if issues were beyond his control, what explanation do you expect? And what issues are you referring to?

AI's going through some feature additions at the moment, so the version on files.wowace.com is beta. But if you are getting errors, try the version from there. Once it's stable, he'll push it to here. If you have questions, go read the official AI thread on the wowace forums.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-29-07, 03:38 PM   #3
Rigorous
Noggenfogger Anonymous

i wouldn't say that Baggins is "lean" but it isn't, imo, any more "heavy" than i would expect a mod providing the level of functionality that i get out of it.

that said, Baggins is, for me, the best bag mod out there.
"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet." - Jack Handy
12-30-07, 12:24 AM   #4
Ev_
An Aku'mai Servant
Used to use Ark, but then it got weird with the new category system. Switched to Baggins and fell in love. It's still missing bank memory, but that's a small negative for an otherwise excellent bag mod.
12-30-07, 12:35 AM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Ev_
It's still missing bank memory,
Get the AnywhereBags plugin.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-30-07, 03:15 AM   #6
Argo007
A Cyclonian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
erm...I'm using arkinventory since months. it's the best inventory tool i ever found.
you have to read the faq of ark on wowace.com.
the script system is well described and the author is always working on it to make it better.

if you understand the script system there is no addon flexible as ark.

greets
12-30-07, 04:27 AM   #7
Fuzzywuzzy
A Black Drake

I use ArkInventory which i really like, all though it is a memory hog. Tried Bagnon for a while which i like too and esier on the memory but ofc lacks some of the features AI had and that's the reason i wen't back to AI.

For fast change of armor i use Closetgnome together with Closetgnome_switcher. Really like it for my druid. can set up all the sets you wan't can change them via tooltip on addon button, and got premade categories for most common use. Can set it to change armor on stance shift too, which is nice cause atm im using diffrent armor in cat and bear, so whenever i change stance it automatically change armor too. Can't compare it to outfitter though since i've never tried that addon.
12-30-07, 05:28 AM   #8
Slakah
A Molten Giant

For gear management I would suggest Item Rack
12-30-07, 10:18 AM   #9
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
I like TBag for my inventory. It categorizes your inventory for you with pre-setup categories. You can edit the categories how you want to or leave them as is.

For outfit switching I use Outfitter. Has stance change auto-change as well.
12-30-07, 10:41 AM   #10
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

Baggins has Outfitter, ClosetGnome and ItemRack plug-ins, which adds item sets to Baggins filtering. If you decide to use Baggins
12-30-07, 10:53 AM   #11
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

Where can I find a working version of Baggins? I just recently found out that most of the files on wowace are beta and still being tested. I download addons from there all the time and have never had any problems with them, but if there is a working release of baggins, I'd rather download that one instead.
12-30-07, 11:57 AM   #12
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Qynova
Baggins has Outfitter, ClosetGnome and ItemRack plug-ins, which adds item sets to Baggins filtering. If you decide to use Baggins
I did see that AddOn, but according to WoWAce, it hasn't been updated in over 3 months. Does it still work?
12-30-07, 12:46 PM   #13
Voonka
A Cyclonian
*Cough BAGNON Cough*
12-30-07, 02:32 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Qynova
AI has a filter script for item sets as well. And it's just added item search, inventory info to tooltips, and vendor price info - though those are still in beta.

@Voonka: you're not very subtle with that large font

12-30-07, 03:08 PM   #15
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

I just switched to baggins to see if I like it better than T-Bag because of some of the comments on this thread. It seems like it has more options for sorting (sorting for outfitter, etc.).

One thing that I don't like, however, is that things seem to show up in multiple places when sorted. For example, my healing potions show up in Potions, Gathered, and Mats sections.

The setup for it is also a bit complicated. I'm sure I can figure it out given time and patience, but if I have things showing up 2 or 3 times even after I take the time to setup my categories (thus taking up more screen space). I'm not going to bother, and will go back to T-Bag. But if there is a fix or a workaround for this, I will take the time to set it up.

Please, if anyone knows how to get things to only show up in one category, let me know.
12-30-07, 03:27 PM   #16
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
There is an option to not duplicate items, though I forget what it's called atm. You will see it if you look for it.

01-02-08, 05:09 PM   #17
littlebuddha79
An Onyxian Warder

I have now tried just about every bag addon there is, and like Baggins the most. If you have the patience to set up everything, you can have it how ever you want to have it. Completely configurable. Have as few or as many bags as you want, and as few or as many catagories/sections of that bag as you want. Can assign item catagories as well. If your herbs are showing up in the tradegoods mats, or gathered catagories, and you think they should be in an herb catagory...just create an herb catagory, and assign it to your herbs.

I Love this mod
01-02-08, 07:13 PM   #18
Argo007
A Cyclonian
I tried baggins as posteted here an i've changed from arkinventory to baggins.
what a great mod. never seen a better one before. sorry ark^^.
01-02-08, 08:55 PM   #19
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I prefer AI over Baggins. It's all about personal preference, imo.

01-02-08, 09:23 PM   #20
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I use Ark myself. I like having everything in one bag and the rules feature of ark is cool.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Baggins vs ArkInventory?