10-06-08, 05:00 AM   #1
Amorette
A Fallenroot Satyr
Updater..

So, now that WoWAce is no longer working, what is everyone using?

I downloaded Curse Updater, but I can't seem to get it working..
10-06-08, 05:36 AM   #2
Dajova
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Im using WoWMatrix, works perfectly...

www.wowmatrix.com
10-06-08, 09:30 AM   #3
noble8
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

However here are a few of the reasons why this is a bad updater:

1) Often old files are hosted
2) No credit to the author of the mod
3) Therefore no support available to users if you get a bug.

For more info please see: Why WowMatrix is bad.

Alternatives; You can no longer comit to files.wowace.com, so for non-wowace hosted mods...

1) Curse Client
2) Jwowupdater
3) Wowinterface updater

Others include command line updaters...

WoW Ace Forum: Updaters

Topic about Future of WoWAce

Last edited by noble8 : 10-06-08 at 09:41 AM.
10-15-08, 08:44 AM   #4
Dragonsblaze
The Shadows Beckon...

Premium Member
Originally Posted by noble8 View Post

Alternatives; You can no longer comit to files.wowace.com, so for non-wowace hosted mods...

1) Curse Client
2) Jwowupdater
3) Wowinterface updater

And where might I get the wowinterface updater?
10-15-08, 11:10 PM   #5
McBean
A Fallenroot Satyr

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...dows.html#info

Right there.

--McBean
10-15-08, 11:25 PM   #6
Mylandroth
A Murloc Raider
The WoWInterface Updater isn't working for me. =(
10-16-08, 08:41 AM   #7
McBean
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by Mylandroth View Post
The WoWInterface Updater isn't working for me. =(
It appears to not be compliant with Vista. I was trying it last night because Curse blows.

--McBean
10-16-08, 09:49 AM   #8
ramseync
A Kobold Labourer
I am running both Curse updater and Wow Interface updater on Vista 64bit and they are working perfectly fine. Maybe if i knew what kind of trouble you were having I could try and help out.
10-16-08, 01:10 PM   #9
Mylandroth
A Murloc Raider
Yeah, I'm using Windows Vista.

The only updaters I can get to function are the POS curse updater, and the WoWMatrix one.

Curse doesn't really update anything for me, but the WoWMatrix updater works like a charm.
10-21-08, 10:33 AM   #10
McBean
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by ramseync View Post
I am running both Curse updater and Wow Interface updater on Vista 64bit and they are working perfectly fine. Maybe if i knew what kind of trouble you were having I could try and help out.
I'm running 64-bit Ultimate as well. Let me re-try it and revisit what wasn't working on it. I can't rightly recall at the moment. I don't think it was installing properly if I recall.... Let me get back to you.

In the meantime, I've been using WoWMatrix without issue. Regrettably it's still not WoW Ace Updater, nor does it give cred to the devs who build the mods, but it keeps me up to date.

I've removed Curse because I often find they are slow to get some of my mods updated. In particular, MobMap always seems to be a rev or two behind the current release, and Curse reverts it to it's noted version. Annoying at best.

--McBean
10-21-08, 10:42 AM   #11
MaybeHoP
Premium Member
Premium Member
Run it as Administrator. Even if you have Administrative rights. Sounds dumb, but I also have to do this to get Vent to work with Warhammer.
10-21-08, 10:48 AM   #12
McBean
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by MaybeHoP View Post
Run it as Administrator. Even if you have Administrative rights. Sounds dumb, but I also have to do this to get Vent to work with Warhammer.
Egad... I turned that function off, so I launch all my apps as an admin. No more annoying pop-ups at each and every app I decide to run on my system.

I've re-installed the application and I'm getting the following:

An internal error has been logged. If problems persist, please file a bug report.
I saw some other people mention changing a config.wic, but can't seem to locate that file anywhere on my system.

Any ideas?

--McBean
10-21-08, 11:01 AM   #13
McBean
A Fallenroot Satyr

Exclamation One down....one more problem to go.

OK, I got it working, and promptly ran into the other noted error here about, "Suspended, More information needed."

My original problem was Java related. I went to http://www.java.com and installed the latest version of Java on my system and then the applet launched without a problem. It logged in and asked me to point out where my WoW was installed.

After pointing out WoW.exe, the updater found my Add Ons for tis site, and then promptly displayed the above "Suspended" errors for each add on.

I noticed the application asked for my forum username and password as well to check my premium status... Would this be cause for concern?

--McBean
10-21-08, 11:12 AM   #14
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
Hi guys,

I have intentionally stopped work on that program and it is end-of-life (sorry for not noticing this post sooner).

There is a new updater in the works which should be released relatively soon. Unfortunately I can't resolve any new problems with the current updater as things have become such a mess that even I can't read the code anymore. That's why this new tool is being developed.

The updater most certainly works with Vista, as I use it on Vista. However, as has been mentioned, you do need to give it administrative permissions because of where you may have WoW installed. It should ask for these permissions (it attempts to gain highest available level).

"Suspended: More Information Required" indicates that it does not know where this addon is located. If you hit the "resolve" button it should indicate how to fix this problem. The easiest way to fix this issue is by marking all of the addons as favorites and letting it auto-detect. Otherwise, you can manually enter the ID of the addons. This problem will (hopefully) go away in the new version of the application.

Having said that, I'm sorry if you continue to have issues with it, however there hasn't been any work done on it in about 6 months. All efforts are going into the new version which will hopefully function much better for you.

Regards,
-- Shirik

EDIT: As far as WoWMatrix goes, it leeches bandwidth from all of the addon sites at such a rate that it's almost impossible to distinguish between users using WoWMatrix and a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack. We've attempted to take measures against this, because they have been hammering this site hard, and they continue to work around it. Without saying anything more, using WoWMatrix will only contribute to the problems that you've seen during the 3.0 patch, and you probably won't get your addons any faster.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/

Last edited by Shirik : 10-21-08 at 11:14 AM.
10-21-08, 11:28 AM   #15
JaceDaAce
A Black Drake

Originally Posted by noble8 View Post

1) Curse Client
2) Jwowupdater
3) Wowinterface updater

I actually tried this and it does list an author because if you click on the addon it gives you title of the addon a small description and author name try it if you don't believe me. I understand where you guys are coming from though and I think it is more a updater for people like me that get their addons from a great site such as this one and just want a easy/quick way to update them. I use this site mainly for my addons and always look into a addon before installing. Maybe if they used something like the curse updater and had a link to where the addon was being downloaded from it would make people happier about it.
10-21-08, 11:54 AM   #16
McBean
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by JaceDaAce View Post
I actually tried this and it does list an author because if you click on the addon it gives you title of the addon a small description and author name try it if you don't believe me. I understand where you guys are coming from though and I think it is more a updater for people like me that get their addons from a great site such as this one and just want a easy/quick way to update them. I use this site mainly for my addons and always look into a addon before installing. Maybe if they used something like the curse updater and had a link to where the addon was being downloaded from it would make people happier about it.
Yah - Noticed that window as well, but noticed it doesn't size to show more text if you want to read the description. Rather, you have to scroll from the side bar/arrow keys.

But yes, point stands to be corrected WoWMatrix can show you the author. You just have to look for it down below.

--McBean
10-26-08, 10:42 AM   #17
Macniel
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by McBean View Post
Yah - Noticed that window as well, but noticed it doesn't size to show more text if you want to read the description. Rather, you have to scroll from the side bar/arrow keys.

But yes, point stands to be corrected WoWMatrix can show you the author. You just have to look for it down below.

--McBean
Yes WoWMatrix can show a Name which may be probably the Author, in the case of ImprovedMerchant the Author is Drooliog but thats not correct, I am actual the Author (I have send WoWmatrix a message).
10-27-08, 12:55 PM   #18
kinkyafro
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Shirik View Post
Hi guys,

I have intentionally stopped work on that program and it is end-of-life (sorry for not noticing this post sooner).

There is a new updater in the works which should be released relatively soon.

That's great news, this is the only updater I use now. It does it all spot on, easy to add new/remove old. Does nothing without confirmation and you can see a comparison between what you already have and what it wants to install.. so there's no 'accidental' install. Good stuff!

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Updater..