08-30-10, 06:18 PM   #1
deadfishes
A Defias Bandit
help with making my own bar textures

Hey all,

I am getting my feet wet with some custom UI art.

I am currently using the "PitBull" and "SharedMedia" addon.
I wanted to re-texture my HP bar so I started looking into what I would need to do.

I followed this tutorial here...
http://www.edowner.net/Texture-Tutorial/

I made sure to make my texture a multipul of two and save it as the correct type of .tga file for wow. Then I dumped the file in my SharedMedia->Statusbar folder.

I am now facing two problems.

First, and most obviouslly, the new file does not appear in pitbull for me to use as a new texture. To get it to appear I have to name the file one of the textures already present in the sharedmedia->statusbar folder.

Secondly,
Not only do I have to name it after one of the files in sharedmedia->statusbar... I have to literally drop my artwork into the pre-existing .tga file. Even then, it does not always work.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a more complete tutorial. A tutorial dedicated to bar textures perhaps?
08-30-10, 07:13 PM   #2
xandora
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

You need to add a record into the SharedMedia.lua file for the texture you're trying to use. Make sure you add it under the right category too.

e.g.

LSM:Register("statusbar", "MyNewTexture", [[Interface\Addons\SharedMedia\statusbar\MyNewTexture]])
08-30-10, 08:19 PM   #3
deadfishes
A Defias Bandit
Tanks

I can get them to show up!

For archival / reference purposes for future readers

The reason why I was unable to get the image to show up with out using a original statusbar .tga as a base was when photoshop makes a new .tga file it adds a white alpha layer which makes WoW not see the image.
08-30-10, 08:31 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
For future reference, read the "INSTRUCTIONS for MyMedia.txt" file located within the SharedMedia folder.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » help with making my own bar textures