02-14-10, 11:16 AM   #1
losinaltitude
A Murloc Raider
nUI help needed

Re; LUA Errors; floating chat frame something or other

I need help with nUI I have tried everything I know to do.. I am at wits end.
Ok.. I have nUI full version and a few addons and up until just lately everything has been good.. When i log over to other toons i get LUA errors, when im in ICC or other raid instances im constantly getting dc'd.. some days more than others.

I don't know whats changed. So.. things i have done, removed all addons that i didnt absolutely need - that didnt work. Removed all addons totally - that didnt work. ATM i have renamed the Interface and WTF files and put in a fresh install of the lastest full version of nUI only.. and still errors so there is where the problem is I'm thinking, 15 pages of errors. So, therefore any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I dont know how to retrieve the errors to post them here so i have screenshots of the error pages that i can send. Thank you

02-14-10, 12:35 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hmm, that really doesn't make any sense at all.

Ok, when you renamed the WTF files did you log into the game before adding nUI to the mix ? If not try that first. It might be that nUI needs some data in available to work from and it could be erroring out because it isn't there.

Also, sometimes when an error occurs after a wtf wipe a /nui rl tends to correct the issue.

However, even now some of us gets the odd error since 3.3 that we just can't track down the cause of. It never happened before then and since one of the recent nUI fixes very infrequently since. And it only occurs when you first log in which it sounds like you may be getting.

Just to see if its the same type of error can you grab one of the debug addons to catch the error. Something like bugsack like I use but there are others. It will allow you to bring up a window with the error message in for copying. Then post that error message here.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

02-14-10, 03:33 PM   #3
losinaltitude
A Murloc Raider
Tried what you had suggested. Renamed Interface and WTF folders then logged into WoW and had no problems. Next I logged out downloaded bug sack and bug grabber and logged back into WoW no problems.. Then logged back out loaded newest version of nUI Full, and the same problem occured.

Still could'nt figure how to post error here so i wrote it down the way bug sack showed it to me.

1x Interface\FrameXML\FloatingChatFrame.lua:784: attempt to preform arithmetic on a nil value:
<string>:"*:OnUpdate":1: in function <[string"*:OnUpdate"]:1>

Locals:
self = UIParent{
0 = <userdata>
firstTimeLoaded = 1
}
elapsed = 0.025000000372529

02-14-10, 04:21 PM   #4
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yep, thats that annoying bug alrighty.

Oh, just realised. What are your chat settings at ? Simple chat isn't checked is it ? If it is uncheck that, log out and then in and again and see if that resolves it.

The only other thing, if that isn't the case is to try the /nui rl command to reload the UI that has resolved this problem for many people.

Characters:

02-14-10, 06:12 PM   #5
losinaltitude
A Murloc Raider
Simple chat was not checked. and as far as reloading the ui when this problem happens the only thing i can see on the screen is my toon and the dashboard background.. no buttons, no chat window, no minimap, no nothing so typing in reload nui is not possible.. The only thing that seems to work is to logout and log right back in. Then comes the issue of gettin dc'd in the instances where login out and in is not only annoying me, but other around me aswell..

02-14-10, 07:50 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yeah, the instance problem I think someone else has been getting recently. As to the not being able to type because no chat window. Humor me When I've had it happen with no chat window it still lets you type as if it was there You just have to type carefully so you type the right letters

Characters:

02-15-10, 06:25 AM   #7
losinaltitude
A Murloc Raider
I guess sleep, a new day, humor and a cup of coffee was the trick. Logged in this mornin and humored you and typed the reload command and voila it worked.. Thank you. /hats off The problem is still there so hopefully a fix is coming soon, but id much rather reload = 2sec than relog = much longer.

(Enter nUI Public Service Announcement) lol
Throughout this process which started awhile before i came to the forums. I have to say I was messin with other UI's outta frustration, which lead to more frustration, which lead me to the forums. I have to say nUI is by far the best out there, no joke. I run nUI with minimal addons. OMG other UI's! you have to have an unbelievable!! amount of addons to achieve the same things nUI does right outta the box. So to all that make nUI possible ROCK ON..

02-15-10, 07:00 AM   #8
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Thank you... that is appreciated more than you know.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI help needed