08-31-09, 05:16 PM   #1
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Changing GameTooltip borders

Heh i have a question that falls under this tittle. How the heck do you create borders for tooltips? I mean is their a template somewhere? I took the roth.tga floating around in most sharedmedia folders and used it but its terrible template i have no idea where the actual edges are when in photoshop. Not to mention what are the rules? i cant change the canvas size or anything and still show up in game. I show empty spaces on the roth.tga but some how the game cuts that space out even though in photoshop it appears as part of the canvas thats just transparent. Where the heck are the real edges?

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Seerah : 08-31-09 at 09:19 PM. Reason: (split from another thread)
08-31-09, 09:19 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
http://www.wowwiki.com/EdgeFiles
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-31-09, 10:13 PM   #3
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

DUH DUH DU DUH! SEERAH TO THE RESCUE! thanks that helps some. I think my widths when i changed the canvas size were not x8 i was going on the normal principals of wow that it had to be powers of 2.

knowing it chops it into 8 pieces to helps.

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
09-01-09, 10:58 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
It does have to be powers of 2.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

09-01-09, 10:09 PM   #5
Grimsin
A Molten Giant

the height does but the width it says needs to be a multiple of 8... which not all powers of two are multiples of 8?

Also i suppose my big question is it repeats the bottom and side as many times as necessary to fill the void. is it possible then to change the canvas size so that for, lets say, 80% of the tips it wouldn't make more then 1-3 x each bar? Im prolly just trying to be to intricate with it but...

GrimUI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
09-01-09, 10:16 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Correction - all powers of 2 (above 8, of course) are multiples of 8. Not all multiples of 8, however, are powers of two. As for the way it's written there... It's a wiki... /shrug

Edge (border) files follow the same rules for textures in order to be shown in wow - their dimensions must be a power of 2.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » Changing GameTooltip borders