09-14-06, 01:59 PM   #1
sid67
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Thumbs down MikScrollingBattleText or SCT 5.0?

I'm a long-time SCT user and I love it--BUT--I have performance issues. What are the pros / cons of MikScrollingBattleText over SCT and vice versa?

The threads in MSBT lead me to believe that it's not as resource hungry. And SCT does appear to bog things up when there is a lot going on.
09-14-06, 05:02 PM   #2
Grayhoof
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Personally, I don't think there is much different between them performance wise. They do basically the exact same thing: parse combat, dispaly text on the screen in an animated format. SCT itself cause very little perfoamnce issues, however, what it does do is "highlight" your perforamnce issues because it is very dependent on your FPS. If your FPS suffers, SCT "slows down" which makes some people think SCT is causing the slow down, which isn't the case. SCT 5.0+ has been extensively tested and rewritten to be as optimised as possible. Probably still areas of improvement, but the difference between 4.131 and 5.0 was quite a lot.

I'd highly suggest you try the "performance" bult in profile for SCT if you are having issues. It turns on light mode that removes almost all parsing, turns off special event parsing, and turns on a more FPS friendly mode. I don't think MSBT offers any of these features, but I haven't looked at the new release.
09-14-06, 05:08 PM   #3
teedog
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Both are great mods. The deciding factor for me was the animation style in MSBT that I prefer personally. I also find the options better laid-out in MSBT, but that's not a biggie since you only set options once in a long while.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » MikScrollingBattleText or SCT 5.0?