05-12-09, 09:37 PM   #1
nerdonfire
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
moving boxes

Hi. I'm using nUI+ Development version 5.03.02. I'm having a problem with one of the movable frames accessible by doing a /nui movers. Its the box that represents the In-Game Tooltips. And I have been having this problem since the 3.1 update.

The location of the box resets every single time I log in. It always moves to the bottom, left-hand corner of the screen, right above nUI, covering the list of my buffs.

When I do a /nui movers to move it, the pinkish looking box to drag around the screen is exactly where I want it positioned. And when I close /nui movers , the In-Game Tooltip is where I want it.

But it resets for every single toon, each time I log in.

Help!

N.B.
Edited for clarity

05-12-09, 09:51 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Only thing I can think of is you are running Windows Vista, and WoW is installed into the program files directory. If that's the case, I believe the fix I read was to right click the WoW Icon and choose the option in Properties to run as Administrator.

Hope that helps

*EDIT: Side note, each toon's settings are seperate. If you log into your main toon, set the minimap to be square, then log into an Alt that is default, the minimap will be round until you change that toon also

05-12-09, 09:59 PM   #3
nerdonfire
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Only thing I can think of is you are running Windows Vista, and WoW is installed into the program files directory. If that's the case, I believe the fix I read was to right click the WoW Icon and choose the option in Properties to run as Administrator.
Unfortunately I do not have it installed in the default location. I never install anything (other than windows) into their default locations.

I think my problem lies not within nUI but rather another addon. However, seeing how I have a grocery list of addons, I'm just starting at point 0. Here's my list.. fear my list...

Code:
!Swatter
AtlasLoot
AtlasLootFu
Auc-Advanced
BeanCounter
BonusScanner
Broker_BonusScanner
Cartographer
Cartographer_Battlegrounds
Cartographer_Coordinates
Cartographer_Foglight
Cartographer_GroupColors
Cartographer_GuildPositions
Cartographer_InstanceLoot
Cartographer_InstanceMaps
Cartographer_InstanceNotes
Cartographer_LookNFeel
Cartographer_Notes
Cartographer_POI
Cartographer_Professions
Cartographer_Waypoints
Cartographer_ZoneInfo
CT_MailMod
DBM-Battlegrounds
DBM-BlackTemple
DBM-BurningCrusade
DBM-ChamberOfAspects
DBM-Core
DBM-EyeOfEternity
DBM-GUI
DBM-Hyjal
DBM-Karazhan
DBM-Naxx
DBM-Outlands
DBM-Party-WotLK
DBM-Serpentshrine
DBM-Sunwell
DBM-TheEye
DBM-Ulduar
DBM-ZulAman
Enchantrix
Enchantrix-Barker
Gatherer
Gatherer_HUD
GathererDB_Wowhead
GFW_FeedOMatic
Grid
GroupCalendar
HealBot
InFlight
InFlight_Load
Informant
nUI
Omen
PhanxChat
QuestGuru
QuestGuru_History
QuestGuru_History1
QuestGuru_History2
QuestGuru_History3
QuestGuru_History4
QuestGuru_History5
QuestGuru_History6
QuestGuru_History7
QuestGuru_History8
QuestGuru_History9
QuestGuru_Tracker
Recount
RuneWatch
SellJunk
SharedMedia
SlideBar
Stubby
Talented
Titan
TitanAmmo
TitanBag
TitanClock
TitanCoords
TitanGoldTracker
TitanGuild
TitanItemBonuses
TitanLootType
TitanPerformance
TitanRegen
TitanRepair
TitanVolume
TitanXP
WIM
Come to think of it... could it be WIM? I know that I get an error everytime I close out of a WIM box. And according to the tech people for WIM, it has something to do with nUI.

Just throwing out some thoughts.

05-12-09, 10:09 PM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

That's the only one on the list that I have seen specific issues listed for. I dont use it myself, so I'm not sure. Try disabling WIM on your addon screen in game and see what happens. They may be conflicting somehow.

*EDIT: Out of curiousity, why do you need GFW Feed O Matic, it's built into nUI. The pet happiness icon on the pet frame doubles as a feed pet button when you click on it

05-12-09, 11:05 PM   #5
wreck
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by nerdonfire View Post
Come to think of it... could it be WIM? I know that I get an error everytime I close out of a WIM box. And according to the tech people for WIM, it has something to do with nUI.

Here is a simple troubleshooting technique that works for all software. If you have a problem and are not sure what may be causing it. Try turning off some of the addons and restarting. If the problem goes away, one of those is the culprit. Or perhaps two in conflict.

One way to use this if you don't have any idea where to start is to disable half of your addons. If the problem is still there, enable them all and disable the other half. The problem should go away at some point. Once you have the problem cleared, start re-enabling half of the half, and keep going through the process until you isolate which is causing the problem.

This is called a binary search algorithm, and the beauty of it is that even with a large number of addons (say 32) you will find the addon within a very few number of attempts.

It will be faster than asking people to figure it out cold on a forum, and you will be happy to have solved your own problem.

Then tell us which one caused the problem

05-12-09, 11:20 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
There's a few there that might possibly be altering the tooltip as well. Like all addons it is possible they will conflict with another one if they carry out similar tasks.

As to WIM, that isn't the cause of the problem in your case. The error you get with WIM is to do with the new animation ability in 3.1 that glitches out due the WIM button being hidden in the button bag. Turning off WIMs animations solves that problem. I use WIM and do not have your problem. However, to help you test things out the ones you have that I do not aren't that many so maybe if I list those as ones to check. On second thought .. you have tons I don't have .. the binary sort algorithim might be your best bet.

Unfortunately I do not have it installed in the default location. I never install anything (other than windows) into their default locations.

I think my problem lies not within nUI but rather another addon. However, seeing how I have a grocery list of addons, I'm just starting at point 0. Here's my list.. fear my list...

Code:
!Swatter
AtlasLoot
AtlasLootFu
Auc-Advanced
BeanCounter
BonusScanner
Broker_BonusScanner
Cartographer
Cartographer_Battlegrounds
Cartographer_Coordinates
Cartographer_Foglight
Cartographer_GroupColors
Cartographer_GuildPositions
Cartographer_InstanceLoot
Cartographer_InstanceMaps
Cartographer_InstanceNotes
Cartographer_LookNFeel
Cartographer_Notes
Cartographer_POI
Cartographer_Professions
Cartographer_Waypoints
Cartographer_ZoneInfo
CT_MailMod
DBM-Battlegrounds
DBM-BlackTemple
DBM-BurningCrusade
DBM-ChamberOfAspects
DBM-Core
DBM-EyeOfEternity
DBM-GUI
DBM-Hyjal
DBM-Karazhan
DBM-Naxx
DBM-Outlands
DBM-Party-WotLK
DBM-Serpentshrine
DBM-Sunwell
DBM-TheEye
DBM-Ulduar
DBM-ZulAman
Enchantrix
Enchantrix-Barker
Gatherer
Gatherer_HUD
GathererDB_Wowhead
GFW_FeedOMatic
Grid
GroupCalendar
HealBot
InFlight
InFlight_Load
Informant
nUI
Omen
PhanxChat
QuestGuru
QuestGuru_History
QuestGuru_History1
QuestGuru_History2
QuestGuru_History3
QuestGuru_History4
QuestGuru_History5
QuestGuru_History6
QuestGuru_History7
QuestGuru_History8
QuestGuru_History9
QuestGuru_Tracker
Recount
RuneWatch
SellJunk
SharedMedia
SlideBar
Stubby
Talented
Titan
TitanAmmo
TitanBag
TitanClock
TitanCoords
TitanGoldTracker
TitanGuild
TitanItemBonuses
TitanLootType
TitanPerformance
TitanRegen
TitanRepair
TitanVolume
TitanXP
WIM

05-13-09, 04:06 AM   #7
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I see several possible conflicts there but none that I would immediately attribute to the tooltip thing.
  • Why are you running both WIM and PhanxChat?
  • I also see feed-o-matic which is a feature built into nUI already
  • I would also be concerned that Talented is conflicting with nUI's talent browser
That said, I don't see anything off the top of my head that would cause the tooltip issue. As suggested by others, I would recommend using the binary search method.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

05-13-09, 04:13 AM   #8
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't think there's any concern in regards to Talented. I'm running it as well, and have been since I started using nUI and have seen no issues as of yet. Talented itself has gone through some shakeups, but nothing that has affected any of the versions of nUI that I've ran.

05-13-09, 10:55 AM   #9
nerdonfire
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
I see several possible conflicts there but none that I would immediately attribute to the tooltip thing.
  • Why are you running both WIM and PhanxChat?
  • I also see feed-o-matic which is a feature built into nUI already
  • I would also be concerned that Talented is conflicting with nUI's talent browser
That said, I don't see anything off the top of my head that would cause the tooltip issue. As suggested by others, I would recommend using the binary search method.

First to answer your queries...

- I run WIM and PhanxChat for completely seperate reasons. I had PhanxChat first because it reduced the amount of crap that goes into my chat and information boxes. And it provides a couple of nice features which Wow doesn't quite support yet. And then I found WIM for tell purposes. The seperate box thing makes it easier to reply to PSTs
- Feed-o-Matic is there because.. well.. because i like how it works. I understand that nUI has that feature built in but since I've been using Feed-O-Matic since... well... I honestly cant remember. So I'm just being stubborn with that one.
- Talented is non-issue anymore. I got rid of it. It wasn't doing what I needed it to do.

And this is amazing. The developer actually replied to me. That's amazing. I've used a lot of addons in my 3 years of WoW playing, and I have to say that this is the FIRST time the addon developer has responded to an issue I've had. Bravo sir, Bravo!

I have some time off from work today, so I'm going to work on that binary search. Its going to take a lot of time to log in, log out, disable an addon, log in and check if the error still happens. But hopefuly this will provide some insight.

Scott sir, you have just earned yourself a donation from me and my wife. I'll be sending it along shortly.

Thanks again!!

05-13-09, 11:03 AM   #10
Baltharus
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

First to answer your queries...

- I run WIM and PhanxChat for completely seperate reasons. I had PhanxChat first because it reduced the amount of crap that goes into my chat and information boxes. And it provides a couple of nice features which Wow doesn't quite support yet. And then I found WIM for tell purposes. The seperate box thing makes it easier to reply to PSTs
- Feed-o-Matic is there because.. well.. because i like how it works. I understand that nUI has that feature built in but since I've been using Feed-O-Matic since... well... I honestly cant remember. So I'm just being stubborn with that one.
- Talented is non-issue anymore. I got rid of it. It wasn't doing what I needed it to do.

And this is amazing. The developer actually replied to me. That's amazing. I've used a lot of addons in my 3 years of WoW playing, and I have to say that this is the FIRST time the addon developer has responded to an issue I've had. Bravo sir, Bravo!

I have some time off from work today, so I'm going to work on that binary search. Its going to take a lot of time to log in, log out, disable an addon, log in and check if the error still happens. But hopefuly this will provide some insight.

Scott sir, you have just earned yourself a donation from me and my wife. I'll be sending it along shortly.

Thanks again!!
the problem with Scott is getting him to go away and take a break everynow and then.. the man is a machine

05-13-09, 11:06 AM   #11
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I appreciate the kind word and the support.

As for the binary search thing... if you do it at an inn, it goes very quickly... even with as many as 100 addons, it only takes six or seven iterations to get to the exact mod causing the problem.

I would like to suggest you try nUI's pet feeder... it really could not be easier to use... click the happiness indicator, click the food, done. But to each their own. ~smile~

I haven't used WIM in a while now, but last I knew WIM pretty much offered everything Phanx does, but again, it's a preference thing. Just keep in mind that the more mods you have doing the same thing, the more potential you have for odd interaction problems that cause you heartburn... having nUI, Grid and Healbot all three is one I can almost guarantee will cause performance issues, as well, and I would sttrongly recommend (on a per character basis) choosing either Grid or Healbot as your extension to nUI's raid frames *if* you need them. If you're not healing, I would strongly recommend against either either.

In any event, holler when you get the chance to look into the conflict and let us know what you find... if I was going to place odds on which mod, I think I would pick QuestGuru, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by spiel2001 : 05-13-09 at 11:10 AM.

05-13-09, 11:07 AM   #12
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Originally Posted by Baltharus View Post
the problem with Scott is getting him to go away and take a break everynow and then.. the man is a machine
~lol~

I have *no* idea what you're talking about.

05-13-09, 01:35 PM   #13
nerdonfire
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I haven't used WIM in a while now, but last I knew WIM pretty much offered everything Phanx does, but again, it's a preference thing.
What I really like about PhanxChat is:
# Hide the chat scroll buttons
# Enable mouse wheel scrolling in the chat frames
# Shorten channel names and chat strings

What I really like about WIM is how it makes tells into an IM like interface. That is whole reason I got it. I was tired of missing tells because of trade chatter, or party chatter or because I'm just too busy in a heroic or whatever.

In any event, holler when you get the chance to look into the conflict and let us know what you find... if I was going to place odds on which mod, I think I would pick QuestGuru, but I could be wrong.
I'm starting work on that right now. And I'll take your advice about Grid and Healbot. I like the simple raidframes that grid has. I only use Healbot on my healer toon. My main is a tank.. so Healbot is not an issue.

Be back in a few...

05-13-09, 01:43 PM   #14
spiel2001
nUI's Author

fwiw --

nUI hides the chat buttons
nUI enables the mousewheel scrolling of the chat frame

You got me on the "shortens the chat channel names" though ~grin~

We agree on why we like WIM.

05-13-09, 02:18 PM   #15
nerdonfire
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
You got me on the "shortens the chat channel names" though ~grin~

We agree on why we like WIM.
In typical chat it looks like this...

[2.Trade][Tisx] WTS [Something Valueable and Clickable]
[Party][Tisx] This is party chat
[3.Local Defense] Stormwind is under attack!

PhanxChat shortens it. so you get:

[2][Tisx] WTS [Something Valueable and Clickable]
[P][Tisx] This is party chat.
[3] Stormwind is under attack!

Its really a minute feature, but its there. And I'm glad we agree on WIM.

So back to the topic at hand.

After doing my binary search, I got no conclusive evidence. The problem still remains, even after disabling all addons except nUI. So I'm going to go a step further. And this is what i'm going to do...

I'm going to completely remove nUI. That includes removing the entries in the SavedVariables folder (I'm not going to completely remove them.. I'm going to back them up for safe keeping.). Then I am going to reinstall nUI+ and re-setup how I like things.

I'll report back in a few.

------------------------Update-------------------------------

So even with a fresh install of nUI, the problem was occuring. I think it has to do with the frame wanting to clamp to side of the screen. What makes this situation worse is the fact that my wife's computer doesn't do this. She has exactly the same addons, and exactly the same everything. But she doesnt get the problem.

However, when I moved the In-Game Tooltip to the position she has it on her settings, the box stays put. Interesting note... The box was moving to the edge of the screen. Clamping, if you would. BUt it was clamping at the exact height I want the box, just not the right position on screen.

The y-axis is fine. The x-axis is the problem. But only on the left side of the screen.

Last edited by nerdonfire : 05-13-09 at 02:38 PM. Reason: update

05-13-09, 03:24 PM   #16
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Try the nUI clean install instructions (exactly) in this post and see what happens... I think it's an artifact.

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21716

05-13-09, 03:25 PM   #17
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Hmm, just an idea but what are the tooltip settings in nUI for your wife's computer ? There are 3 settings and I believe one of them places it halfway up the left hand side. Maybe one of the other settings will suit you more or maybe you could change the following to suit your needs if the 3 options don't work for you. I'm sure Scott will be able to say whether it is the best file to change or if there is another I missed.

Folder: nUI\Integration
File : nUI_Tooltips

The SetPoint function itself may be what you can change to suit your needs.

Code:
	elseif nUI_Options.tooltips ~= "default" then

nUI_SavedTooltip_SetDefaultAnchor = GameTooltip_SetDefaultAnchor;
		nUI_SavedTooltip_SetOwner         = GameTooltip.SetOwner;
		nUI_SavedTooltip_SmartSetOwner    = SmartSetOwner;

GameTooltip:ClearAllPoints();
		GameTooltip:SetPoint( "LEFT", WorldFrame, "LEFT", 0, 0 );
		nUI_Movers:lockFrame( GameTooltip, true, nUI_L["In-Game Tooltips"] );
		nUI_Movers:lockFrame( GameTooltip, false, nUI_L["In-Game Tooltips"] );

-- manage tooltips

hooksecurefunc( "GameTooltip_SetDefaultAnchor", tooltipSetDefaultAnchor );

GameTooltip.SetOwner         = tooltipSetOwner;
		SmartSetOwner                = tooltipSmartSetOwner;

end

05-13-09, 03:58 PM   #18
nerdonfire
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Try the nUI clean install instructions (exactly) in this post and see what happens... I think it's an artifact.

http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21716

oK. I tried as per the instructions provided in that link. Unfortunately, nothing has changed. The In-Game Tool Tips button keeps a definite Y-axis. But it is still clamping to the edge of the screen.

When I do the /nui movers to bring it up, the pinkish box is still in the spot I defined. I turn off the movers, and the tool-tip is fine. Logging out resets this.

Well, on the bright side... I am using a Development version. And finding bugs is what the game is about.

Next up, I am going to try what Xrystal suggested.

05-13-09, 04:06 PM   #19
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Is there any chance you're playing on a Vista machine maybe?

I'm *really* puzzled by this. If you renamed WTF and Interface and installed only nUI then the tooltip should be right where you want it. If not, then something really odd is happening.

If you change other settings like round/square map, etc., and restart the game, do those settings also reset?

05-13-09, 04:08 PM   #20
nerdonfire
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post

Folder: nUI\Integration
File : nUI_Tooltips

The SetPoint function itself may be what you can change to suit your needs.

Code:

GameTooltip:ClearAllPoints();
		GameTooltip:SetPoint( "LEFT", WorldFrame, "LEFT", 0, 0 );
I noticed that in the parameter for the SetPoint, there looks like a set of coords. 0,0. Is that so? Couldn't I just manually change the coords from 0,0 to something else? for instace, I can screen shot my interface, load it up in Paint.NET and get the coords for each corner. Then copypasta and try to see if that works.

I'm not sure if LUA works that way.

And yes, I am on Vista Home Premium. I do not have WoW installed into its default location. my local install is C:\World of Warcraft

Last edited by nerdonfire : 05-13-09 at 04:10 PM. Reason: clarity

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » moving boxes