06-25-10, 11:14 AM   #1
Seer
A Molten Giant
ATI Gfx Card owners, a little of your time please

Hey all,

Guess some here have a ATI gfx card and run WoW and nUI as well..

Anyway, today I got some nice bsods when trying to view some youtube movies in chrome (seems to be fine in IE.... go figure..).. No idea why really, but during some research I came across a very old post that suggested to disable the "ati External Events Utility" (now call AMD ext...)

Crashing stopped, still the video's are not playing in chrome. I blame chrome (developer channel version) so..

Tho this is not the reason I'm posting.

I noticed an decrease in load times for wow (no idea why, but is a bit faster to get to the char select screen, login in seems a bit faster as well), note I do use a SSD tho. I also seem to get a higher fps, and more stable then before, however that can be attributed that there aren't many people around.

Another note, I also disable a service called "Device Error Recovery Service" (dgdersvc.exe), it's a non ms service and google doesn't give an answer.

Point I'm trying to get accross, would some good ATI users be so nice as to see if disabling the AMD External Events Utility results in a similar experience or if I'm just drunk (am not, never touch the stuff)
06-25-10, 02:02 PM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hmm, thanks for this Seer. One of my fellow guild officers started noticing severe fps loss in wow the last few days and he admitted to watching movies online so I think I may ask him if this sounds like the likely cause for him before he does his big install this weekend

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818
07-11-10, 01:56 PM   #3
iNoob
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
You should check the purpose of the utilities you disable

I can't remember the exact name (sry :S) But one of the tools included in standard ATi installs monitors the GPU, if it should enter an non-responsive state it can reset the GPU without affecting the rest of the system eg. throw a BSOD. Just some thoughts though

Update. I found out that ATi calls this technology VPU Recover. Make sure you have this enabled see this picture (credits to Dell :P)

http://support.euro.dell.com/support...n/edoc0977.jpg

Another Update:

The Chrome crashes has nothing to do with the ATi Card. It's a common issue and you might try the non-developer or use another browser such as Firefox, Opera or Safari.

Last edited by iNoob : 07-11-10 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Update, Update again
07-13-10, 12:36 AM   #4
Seer
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by iNoob View Post
The Chrome crashes has nothing to do with the ATi Card. It's a common issue and you might try the non-developer or use another browser such as Firefox, Opera or Safari.
Actually, it's either a flash player or driver problem. If you turn on hardware acceleration in flash movies this can (will?) cause bsods. Turning of the mentioned service stopped the crashing, turning off the acceleration restored the flash player movie showing a picture again.

I later also turned of the acceleration when I found that out after still getting the odd bsods or green screens.

AFAIK, the gpu recover is removed from the option panels, didn't look for more then a few seconds for it. (The function is still there, you just can't disable it)

Thanks for the thoughts, always appreciated :-)

Last edited by Seer : 07-13-10 at 12:49 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » General » nUI: Community Chat » ATI Gfx Card owners, a little of your time please