12-14-17, 01:25 PM   #1
Zyre
A Murloc Raider
Unhappy Switched from Curse to Minion

Couldn't stand the way Curse was going and am not a Twitch user at all. Read many positive reviews about WoW Interface (minion client) and decided to give it a shot.

Upon install and first use, I was highly impressed. Minion immediately informed me that I had 20 addons that needed updated so without concern, I pressed the "Update All" button. It asked if I wanted to backup my addons first and I chose "Yes".

After the 20 addons were updated, I logged into Wow... only to find that all my addons were completely broken. As it turns out, the 20 addons that it updated, it updated very old versions of them.

One, for example, is TSM (Tradeskillmaster). Wow Interface has the addon in their database but the last time it was updated was back in August of 2016.

I have two questions before I continue using (and endorsing) WoW Interface/Minion:

1: As stated before, I was asked if I wanted to create a backup of my addons and I chose Yes. Where is that backup so I can restore them?

2: Why are so many addons in WoW Interface's repository so outdated? Curse always seemed to have the most up-to-date addon revisions.

Thank you.
12-14-17, 01:31 PM   #2
Zyre
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up

I found the backup (thank god!).
Thanks to this thread: http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393

I found my backup here: C:\Users\<me>\.minion\initial-backup
12-14-17, 02:29 PM   #3
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Zyre View Post
2: Why are so many addons in WoW Interface's repository so outdated? Curse always seemed to have the most up-to-date addon revisions.
Addons are only updated here (and to Curse) if their author does so.
12-14-17, 03:06 PM   #4
aallkkaa
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

This thread might be of interest to you:
Minion wants to update to older versions of what I have installed.

NB: The current version of Minion is still the same as it was at the time of the last post on that thread.
12-14-17, 06:36 PM   #5
Zyre
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by aallkkaa View Post
This thread might be of interest to you:
Minion wants to update to older versions of what I have installed.

NB: The current version of Minion is still the same as it was at the time of the last post on that thread.
Thank you. Very informative links. This does indeed shed light into my dilemma.
12-14-17, 06:43 PM   #6
Zyre
A Murloc Raider
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ammako View Post
Addons are only updated here (and to Curse) if their author does so.
Thanks. It's unfortunate that Curse has gone to the dark side with addon authors solely dedicating their energies in tow, but from a monetary and visibility sense, it's understandable.
12-16-17, 07:21 AM   #7
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Sure, Curse/Twitch has their Author Rewards Program, but my main reason for having Curse be my development hub is the easy to use localization system.

Anyone can contribute translations to my addons, and if there are new or updated localizations, then I simply tag a new release. I don't have to worry about someone sending me a lengthy Lua file where I then need to manually add to my folder, then upload, then do this, do that, etc. It is extremely painless to get translations.

If the ARP was truly worth it, and if the ARP was actually paying enough money for me to sit up and take notice, then that might be a deciding factor, but it is not. For me, the ARP takes 2-3 YEARS for me to make $50 because none of my addons combined add up to enough points. This is definitely not a paid enterprise.

As a side note, I do not stream to Twitch, although I could –– everything is set up –– which has absolutely nothing to do with me or anyone using or not using the Twitch App. Certainly the Twitch App makes that simpler, but it has no bearing whatsoever on installing or updating the addons I use. In fact, if I were to stream, I probably would use OBS because I am more familiar with it and it may provide more options and control.
12-17-17, 05:00 PM   #8
Lazare
An Aku'mai Servant

Originally Posted by Zyre View Post
Thanks. It's unfortunate that Curse has gone to the dark side with addon authors solely dedicating their energies in tow, but from a monetary and visibility sense, it's understandable.
I take GREAT OFFENSE to that statement as an addon author both here and on Curse. I do it for the love of the game and how to make it better
I also HATE the Twitch app, but it is finally getting better (hopefully do in part with the number of "Feedbacks" that I have posted with each and every "update" that they have posted. The Twitch app used to make me "twitch" EVERY time I used it… I HATED it so much I vowed many times to never use it again (I was updating manually, following what was new on my favorite lists on both sites). I had used minion in the past, but had too many problems with it replacing newer versions with old ones (ever hear of version control???)
As of late the Twitch app is only taking a few minutes to get to the point of showing the ones that updates are needed. Before I would have to jump thru hoops, clicking various links on the app to get it to update. Sometimes it does revert back to having to do that, which triggers a blazing feedback from me letting them know to get their shit together and fix their damn app (I have actually sent more of those than I can count). I have been a computer user / programming since 1975, so it pisses me off terribly when I see poorly half finished coding.

Cheers!
Lazare

My Authored Addons
HOME OF THE FREE, BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE
12-17-17, 06:28 PM   #9
Ammako
A Frostmaul Preserver
Originally Posted by Lazare View Post
I take GREAT OFFENSE to that statement as an addon author both here and on Curse. I do it for the love of the game and how to make it better
It was obviously not directed at you, though.
12-19-17, 01:11 PM   #10
Dolby
PPAP

WoWInterface Admin
The main issue is having the latest AddOns listed here on our site. The issue is reversed when you play Elder Scrolls Online. Our site esoui.com has the latest AddOns and Curse is outdated. Use Minion and then switch to the Twitch app and the twitch app will install the older AddOns.

We have added an API so authors can integrate uploads with their deploy process.
We have also added an auto-pull feature authors can request.

Adding version control is a bit difficult when there are no standards enforced for version number system (some versions contain words even). If any one has some good suggestions on this we are certainly open. I think the only way would be to scrape curse and collect version & date from their site and compare that with our date and version and have our API actually tell Minion if WOWI is up to date or not.

Right now we are working to open Minion up to PR's (ETA probably a few months) and we hope that will help strengthen the app.

Last edited by Dolby : 12-19-17 at 01:19 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Switched from Curse to Minion