12-23-11, 12:52 PM   #1
Yanoo
A Defias Bandit
New GPU card

Hello!
I'm concidering to upgrade my current GPU to GeForce GTX 570 but saw the earlier 560 model at around 130$ cheaper. Any good reason to buy the cheaper one beside the price? If anyone have some other suggestion I will be happy to hear it.
Tnx.
12-23-11, 01:04 PM   #2
Coote
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
http://www.hwcompare.com/8999/geforc...force-gtx-570/

Is the performance difference worth the extra $130 to you? If so, go for it, otherwise, go with the 560.

"This is the fifteen-thousandth four hundredth and ninety-eighth occurence".
12-23-11, 01:33 PM   #3
Ither
A Firelord

I have a substantial amount of experience (professionally) in IT; with quite a few years in network engineer, systems engineer, game engine programming, and application programming. What type of video card do you currently have and what are the other specifications of your workstation? If you are purely a WOW-enthusisat who doesn't play any other games, then your choice on GPU's will be contingent on the rest of your hardware. WOW is a very CPU intensive game engine that does rely on great GPU's, but is not the sole performance granting piece of workstation design. If you have a bottleneck (which I can help you identify once I know the remaining specs) then a higher model GPU will not have a very significant impact. I currently play several games and have a TRI-SLI setup with GTX580's, but I also have close to $5000 invested in my rig. I'm currently running WOW off one of my GTX 580 (WOW's game engine does not support SLI/Crossfire) at 2560x1600 with all settings maxed out. I average anywhere from 110fps in Stormwind to 240fps in 5-man dungeons, 10/25 man raids. The larger the raid the less fps I hit (typically 110 is as low as I get in 25-man DS or FL). My 580GTX are 1.5GB memory cards and the most I utilize is 700Mb of memory on my GPU. However, I soak up a TON of CPU cycles and physical memory for the game itself. My rig is fully water-cooled I7-980X at 4.8GHz, 12GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000MHz, and RAID 0 SSD's--among a lot of other things.

Please don't take this post as a desire to "flaunt" my system--I'm merely showing you that even with a rig I spent a considerable amount on, I've pretty much seen ZERO increase in performance from when I upgraded my rig from a I7-920 and GTX460 video card. Now, if I fire up SW:TOR, BF3, or SkyRim--she gets one helluva work out!

12-23-11, 04:16 PM   #4
Yanoo
A Defias Bandit
Gpu

Thanks for the super quick response!
My CPU is an i7 2600k on Asus P8Z68-V PRO MB running solid at 4.8 GHz air cooled and (4 x 4 GB) Corsair Vengeance 1866 GHZ.. Also have 510 intel SSD dedicated for the cache and for WoW only.
The old GPU is 8800 gts - pretty old.. Now I can admit that I don't really need all the power of the 570 but in the process of upgrading my rig I want to buy a good GPU that will serve me as well as the 8800 did for a long period so money is not the issue. Also I was thinking about buying two cheaper Vidia's or Ati's and crossfireing/sling them but I'm still researching on that as you said WoW doesn't support crossfireing/sling..
Any good advise will be appreciated..
Tnx.

Last edited by Yanoo : 12-23-11 at 04:36 PM.
12-23-11, 04:44 PM   #5
Ither
A Firelord

Hey Yanoo-

8800 was a good card indeed, but yes you need to upgrade. Even what you have for a system is decent and your only bottleneck at this moment is in fact the GPU. LOL. That's a good thing, I come across a lot of folks who end up bottlenecked the opposite direction--high power GPU's but not the processing power to manage them.

If I was you, I would go ahead and fire off on a 560/570 for now. The 600 series GPU's are right around the corner so I would hate to see you spend high amount s of money up front. Then again, if you're anything like me, get the biggest baddest, and be done.

Yes, unfortunately, WOW's game engine doesn't support SLI/Crossfire. Even on a single powerful card you can see some significant improvements.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » New GPU card