09-02-09, 08:11 PM   #1
thranwardk
A Murloc Raider

huge memory leak

i play with a addon called performance fu wich is fubar addon and i see theres a huge leak in memory with nUI any chance of fixing that?

09-02-09, 08:35 PM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Its not actually a memory leak. Depending on what your doing and where you are the ui uses various amounts of memory. In particular, in raids it will use quite a bit. The author is aware of the memory usage and is attempting to streamline the code in the upcoming version.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

09-03-09, 03:48 AM   #3
spiel2001
nUI's Author

nUI trades memory usage for performance. Put another away, in order to use less CPU time, nUI uses more memory. Memory usage is nearly a meaningless number when it comes to addon performance. I can easily write a mod that uses no memory at all but brings your frame rate to 0fps.

In nUI's case, I use temporary dynamic memory tables to gather and cache data. The more intense the action, the more of these tables that will get created. This causes your memory usage to rise dramatically until the garbage collector runs and returns the memory to the heap.

That said, as was already noted, I am working on substantially reducing the amount of new tables that are created in combat and to reduce the use of the garbage collector.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

10-15-09, 09:59 PM   #4
vbalbert
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
nUI memory leak

I understand what you've said in your reply to the original message, but here's what I've done to figure out what's causing the problem (which seems to be nUI.)

I have only nUI and FuBar along with FuBar_PerformanceFu which shows me, among other things, my framerate and the amount of memory that's used. Without nUI the amount of memory that is used is fairly constant. But with nUI running the memory use just keeps climbing and climbing. If I force a garbage collection, the number goes down, but it starts to climb again. This happens if I'm just standing in one place.

The reason why I tried to find this stuff out is because I kept getting knocked off of WoW completely and the error message I get says it tried to allocate a certain amount of memory and couldn't do it. The amount of memory that is being used according to FuBar_PerformanceFu is ~140-160 MiB when I get knocked back to my desktop.

Although the memory usage is much lower with just the two (2 1/2?) addons I can see that eventually this will end up causing the same problem. In the time that I've written this missive the memory usage has almost tripled from 21 MiB to nearly 60 MiB.

I think this is why people have been calling this a memory leak although from what I read that's not an accurate situation.

Can you reproduce this and if so, can you help with possible solutions?

10-15-09, 10:10 PM   #5
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Everyone gets the performance counter going up. I use Titan and they have a similar count and it climbs high. If I notice it high I do a garbage collect manually but it automatically does it as well.

I don't get Disconnected though or have any memory access errors. I have a low end computer kinda since the WotLK expansion so the game is more hard going for me now but still I don't get any DCs. Unless that is we lose internet in the house briefly.

Maybe if nUI carries out its garbage collection more often it will work out better for you. Whether that is possible with nUI in its current existence I don't know though.

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

10-16-09, 12:19 PM   #6
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by vbalbert View Post
I understand what you've said in your reply to the original message, but here's what I've done to figure out what's causing the problem (which seems to be nUI.)

I have only nUI and FuBar along with FuBar_PerformanceFu which shows me, among other things, my framerate and the amount of memory that's used. Without nUI the amount of memory that is used is fairly constant. But with nUI running the memory use just keeps climbing and climbing. If I force a garbage collection, the number goes down, but it starts to climb again. This happens if I'm just standing in one place.

The reason why I tried to find this stuff out is because I kept getting knocked off of WoW completely and the error message I get says it tried to allocate a certain amount of memory and couldn't do it. The amount of memory that is being used according to FuBar_PerformanceFu is ~140-160 MiB when I get knocked back to my desktop.

Although the memory usage is much lower with just the two (2 1/2?) addons I can see that eventually this will end up causing the same problem. In the time that I've written this missive the memory usage has almost tripled from 21 MiB to nearly 60 MiB.

I think this is why people have been calling this a memory leak although from what I read that's not an accurate situation.

Can you reproduce this and if so, can you help with possible solutions?
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
nUI trades memory usage for performance. Put another away, in order to use less CPU time, nUI uses more memory. Memory usage is nearly a meaningless number when it comes to addon performance. I can easily write a mod that uses no memory at all but brings your frame rate to 0fps.

In nUI's case, I use temporary dynamic memory tables to gather and cache data. The more intense the action, the more of these tables that will get created. This causes your memory usage to rise dramatically until the garbage collector runs and returns the memory to the heap.

That said, as was already noted, I am working on substantially reducing the amount of new tables that are created in combat and to reduce the use of the garbage collector.
I've quoted Scott here as I think you missed his reply to this issue.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » huge memory leak