03-21-16, 04:28 AM   #1
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
What'd be the easiest way to rework the actionbars?

So I'd like to reposition, reskin, and throw in some new functionality for the action bars as part of this UI suite I'm working on. Trying to figure just how the actionbars and action buttons fit together, and how to work with them. Am I right in understanding that the "actionbars" here are really just parent container frames, and that the things that really matter are the actual action buttons?

How feasible would it be to just hide any MainMenuBar elements I don't need, give different parent frames to things I don't want hidden when the character enters a vehicle, and beyond that the action buttons will just sort themselves out when it comes to stances and paging and suchlike?

I would imagine it could be a little risky to go directly off of the default, globally available frames like this? Right now the scope of what I'm trying is honestly just redesigning the core GUI, no in-game customisable framework, so I don't really see any reason to want to do things from scratch here.
03-21-16, 05:42 AM   #2
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I suggest Bartender and Masque. Create a profile and inject it into your GUI.
03-21-16, 07:57 AM   #3
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If you just want to reposition/repaint actionbars take a look at
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...BarStyler.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...tonStyler.html

If you want to create your own actionbar use either one of the big boys (Dominos,Bartender) or try sth like this:
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...ExtraBars.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/download...-ExtraBar.html

All that is needed is a secure action button with a keybind.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)
03-21-16, 08:12 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well, I would suggest Dominos for the action bars and Masque to give you a little option on the looks of the buttons.

The only differences (as far as I know) between Bartender4 and Dominos seems to be a set-up philosophy. That being said - pick the one that you would like.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
03-21-16, 09:16 AM   #5
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by zork View Post
I'm guessing it'd be a pretty fair go to just dissect the code, see how you've done it, and look at how I can apply the same to what I'm doing? Thanks!

And thanks to the rest of you too. Kinda feeling like my the thread title and opening post kinda clashed a bit, looking back, heh. But pretty much what I've been wondering is whether a really straightforward actionbar reposition and restyle would be handled okay by essentially going :SetParent() :SetPoint() etc. on the already existing ActionButton frames. Or if it's just plain better to have a button created and properly handled by the addon, though I don't imagine anyone running two addons that are both altering the buttons themselves.
03-21-16, 11:34 AM   #6
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Well, I would suggest Dominos for the action bars and Masque to give you a little option on the looks of the buttons.

The only differences (as far as I know) between Bartender4 and Dominos seems to be a set-up philosophy. That being said - pick the one that you would like.
I have used both for years and cannot decide which I like better. What setup philosophy have you experienced?
03-21-16, 12:07 PM   #7
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You have used both and you don't know??? Hmmmm, well, Bartender4 has a "user interface" that you have to open from WoW's options (or by typing /bt in chat) while Dominos has "right-click" (you "right-click" on the bar of choice to get the options for that bar) functionality. Dominos has a "user interface" in the WoW options, also, but once you set those options you don't have to bother with it again and just type /dom in chat or (I think it is a) right-click on the minimap button to enter into "config" mode and then just right-click on any bar to ..... well, configure it. It's been a while since I used either of them deciding to use ElvUI now, but, I have used both and liked Dominos more for its' set-up style. To each their own, I guess.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!
03-21-16, 05:01 PM   #8
JDoubleU00
A Firelord

Ah OK, I understand now. Wasn't quite sure.
03-23-16, 04:12 AM   #9
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

My favorite bar mod 10 years ago was Gypsy_HotBar.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » What'd be the easiest way to rework the actionbars?