01-30-09, 10:31 AM   #1
Mera
Retired of WoW, In ESO :)

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[Tut] Simple black login screen for wow 3.x

I think you may need that one especially addon devs launching/leaving the client a lot, this will just put a black screen at the place of the ugly annyoing and noisy dragon at login prompt, just a zip file to extract in your wow folder

1) Download BlackLoginScreen
2) Extract it in your wow root folder World of Warcraft (make sure you are extracting the directories)
3) profit =)
Mera[xeh]? - La CroisadeEcarlate (wow)

Last edited by Mera : 01-30-09 at 01:44 PM.
01-30-09, 10:41 AM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I don't recommend deleting scan.dll as it's used for collecting system information for the Blizz devs.

This is a lot safer to use, it only hides the sound, and you don't have to delete any game files.
01-30-09, 10:49 AM   #3
Mera

Premium Member
Yup anywya that file is always recreated, I just said that because I have read a few post of dude saying the Scan.dll could sometimes deny some modded mpq to be loaded. but here it works along it
01-30-09, 10:54 AM   #4
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

While that may be true, no one can say weather or not deleting game files will trip Warden into reporting someone. It's safer not to delete any files other than the ones the Support Technicians say are safe to delete.
01-30-09, 11:06 AM   #5
Mera

Premium Member
well warden didnt detected my change in fishing pole sounds for sure in years and that would be much offensive than that because it helps not loosing catches by changing the original one by a much noisy so I can't really sleep and miss it by this (If I rmemeber that was a mod called FishPing on Curse), but I don't really think that is for such thing, I have read threads of user doing much heavy changes like changing ingame stuffs to look something else , none reports ban for that, they rather report client rcrash which seem normal but about a small login prompt I bet warden doesnt check and care.
But you are right no one knows only Blizzard does but by the web and search engines we could know who they ban and not

Last edited by Mera : 01-30-09 at 11:21 AM.
01-30-09, 12:23 PM   #6
Mera

Premium Member
just repacked it, its now just 400bytes big and also stop the wotlk intro sound
01-30-09, 12:43 PM   #7
Mera

Premium Member
got another way SIlenia if you want to do it manually below are the files to nullify

1) World of Warcraft\Interface\GLUES\MODELS\UI_MainMenu_Northrend\UI_MainMenu_Northrend.M2
2) World of Warcraft\Sound\Music\GlueScreenMusic\WotLK_main_title.mp3

updated first post with these informations
01-30-09, 12:44 PM   #8
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

I really hate to be bearer of bad news however anything involving custom or modded MPQ files is skidding right into ToS violation territory. Likely as a result this would be something that this site and most other WoW fan sites would not allow.

Edit:

The post immediatly before mine is alot more "legal" as it only involves modding things in your Interface folder which is fair game. However messing with MPQ files can result in the Banhammer.

Last edited by Zyonin : 01-30-09 at 12:46 PM.
01-30-09, 12:55 PM   #9
Mera

Premium Member
I will change the zip mpq version to a zipped plain file yup better and eventually post it in Misc section.

//edit:changed in simpler way

Last edited by Mera : 01-30-09 at 01:09 PM.
01-30-09, 02:38 PM   #10
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Better, its better to play within the rules and not worry about the Banhammer. It always one shots you.
01-30-09, 05:19 PM   #11
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Mera View Post
got another way SIlenia if you want to do it manually below are the files to nullify

1) World of Warcraft\Interface\GLUES\MODELS\UI_MainMenu_Northrend\UI_MainMenu_Northrend.M2
2) World of Warcraft\Sound\Music\GlueScreenMusic\WotLK_main_title.mp3

updated first post with these informations
No thanks. I'll stick with the one I linked in my previous post. No chance of getting in trouble that way.

Not sure why anyone would want to hide that beautiful intro scene at the login. The sound is irritating while waiting in a 2 hour que, but the graphics are amazing. I like my eye candy!
01-31-09, 05:54 AM   #12
Mera

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Not sure why anyone would want to hide that beautiful intro scene at the login
you probaby don't run the client a lot and you find it pretty cool, me I find this stuff like the most stupid things ever added to the wow client, bloating, noisy, adding loading times and using 3D for nothing helpful, cool for casuals, a nice piece of sh.. for hardcores, like the whole wotlk anyway

Last edited by Mera : 01-31-09 at 06:02 AM.
03-03-09, 03:29 PM   #13
Goatbert
A Defias Bandit
I was so excited by this, I hate that stupid CPU hog of an animation. If I forget to close wow I come home and my machine is running the fan full speed.

However, on the Mac Client, for whatever reason, putting a 0 byte animation in the folder makes it crash. I wonder what format the .m2 file is actually in so I could make a single frame one.
03-03-09, 04:58 PM   #14
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Goatbert View Post
I was so excited by this, I hate that stupid CPU hog of an animation. If I forget to close wow I come home and my machine is running the fan full speed.
The login screen and the character select screen are two of the most graphic intensive areas of the game. It will tax any system that's not up to par.

If you get RivaTuner and set it to show FPS on screen, you will see that the highest FPS you can get in the game are on those two screens. Well, the character select screen more so than the login screen.

Last edited by Petrah : 03-03-09 at 05:27 PM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » [Tut] Simple black login screen for wow 3.x