01-15-14, 06:24 AM   #1
Barleduq
Premium Member

Premium Member
Finding out quests in other cities without going there?

I'd like to be able to find out what the various dailies are without spending a half hour traipsing around looking. Right now this is mostly for the JC dailies (that being the toon being annoyed by it) but I've had this thought since I was trying to get every fishing and cooking daily between Stormwind, Darnassus, and Ironforge.

Basically what I envision is that I could login, click a button, and get a list-out of what the cooking/fishing dailies are for my faction's capitals, Shattrath, and Dalaran; the jewelcrafting dailies for Dalaran and Stormwind; and, of course, any others that I don't know about. I've not brought myself full leveled through all the faction dailies in MoP, I don't know if it matters the way it does with the capital dailies.

Is this possible? Or do I have to go in person and click the person to find out that no, really, I wanted to stay back in Ironforge, I've already done this in Darnassus....

Thanks!
-Barleduq
01-15-14, 09:30 AM   #2
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You actually have to have someone visit each city each day. It can be your toons or some other player if they are able to share the information with you. There is no way to tell from Ironforge what the dailies in Darnassus are (at least using the Blizzard APIs we have available). The best way to go about doing this is to create an addon that records this information from people actually going to each city. Then have this addon share this information with others with the same addon. Of course this only works with other players with whom you have contact so other realms get interesting (yes, each realm can be different in the dailies that are offered). To share this information with people you do not encounter there would have to be a repository outside of WoW (like a web site) that has the information, and you could download information from it to augment the addon so it would have the most up to date information available. I have thought about it many times as people have asked for it. However, the amount of work needed to set it up and maintain it is never worth it from my point of view since the amount of time it takes to visit the cities is very small. (I already did each of the dailies because eventually you get all of a city like Ironforge, and then can concentrate on the others until you eventually are just sitting in one city waiting for the missing one to be the daily that day.)
01-15-14, 08:00 PM   #3
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
This addon is abandoned now, but it used to do what you are looking for: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...estViewer.html
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

01-16-14, 09:29 AM   #4
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
I have been thinking about this a little, and perhaps I could add the feature to Grail to allow it to broadcast this information to other Grail users on the same realm. It would not help for offsite information, but if there were enough Grail users on a specific realm looking at the daily quests it could help you there. I am not sure the total count of Grail users would warrant the effort as it is unlikely that many Grail users on a realm would be looking at the daily quests, but I may investigate it to see if the amount of work/maintenance is not too painful. Of course if Grail was being updated like this properly it should mean that a UI like Wholly would automatically be able to show you the quests in the other cities just as you want.
01-16-14, 03:40 PM   #5
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Nimhfree View Post
I have been thinking about this a little, and perhaps I could add the feature to Grail to allow it to broadcast this information to other Grail users on the same realm.
If you do add something like this, please make it optional. As a matter of principle I don't want my addons sending data to random other players without my knowledge or consent, even if it's seemingly harmless data.
01-16-14, 04:52 PM   #6
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
I was actually thinking of making it a loadable addon so it would be VERY optional. :-)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Finding out quests in other cities without going there?