08-26-10, 11:22 AM   #1
Kyzzy
A Fallenroot Satyr
Angry Carbonite maps. Frustration, PSE ADVISE

Hi. I have been using carbonite for a while now and thought I had it sorted. Highlighted detail in a center circle, Mining locations coming up and blinking if hot. Also, the minimap enlarged to full on entering dungeons. It was sweet.

I started a new char on another server and changed my setting a bit. Now I cant get em back. Even logged on the original 'good' char and holy-moly, all the settings are wrong..... I thought (wrongly) that each characters settings were unique to each char..

So I removed it completely, reloaded it and decided to start over....

Sadly, it seems to have inherited some of the original screwed up settings, some, not all.

Now none of my chars have a good map, minimap stays docked in the top left hand corner, it was in the center and round. I used to be able to switch on and off trails, Mining locations and the like, now, its a right two-and-six.

I consider myself pretty good with C++, Excel Vis Basic, Fortran(old school) and others but this has gotten me so annoyed I could scream... Please, can anyone offer a basic set up. I guess there must be one but I searched this site and could not find one.

help please.

08-26-10, 11:43 AM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Carb does use unique settings per character. You can fully reset it though, just delete the Carbonite.lua file located in your "WTF\ACCOUNT\YOUACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables" folder.

You will revert to 100% factory settings. I'd make a backup just in case beforehand.

Another option if everything is setup correctly on one of your toons, you can import the settings. You'll need to go into "/carb options" and goto the Reset heading on the left hand pane. Then on the right hand pane, choose "Import settings from another character". When you left click on that, a menu will pop down allowing you to import settings from any of your other toons. When you select one, it will force a reload and your settings will be swapped.

I know it's not the best solution, but it's the options I know.

08-26-10, 12:33 PM   #3
Kyzzy
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Carb does use unique settings per character. You can fully reset it though, just delete the Carbonite.lua file located in your "WTF\ACCOUNT\YOUACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables" folder.... Snipped...
That /savedvariables/ is per Player, as I am the only player on my PC, its easy, but, that is for ALL characters in wow... Deleted it... made no difference, deleted all carbonite references and bingo, it reloaded, into a configuration that is completely alien to me.

Copied back from back up file and now I have a square minimap highlighted in the center of my map, no gather icons and after a '/reload', the map colors seem, 'Washed out', still no gather icons, a (wanted) circular minimap in the centre.

Played around with Scale, and Transparancy and lost any semblance of usability.

Now I am deleting Carbonite in total and reloading from scratch after purging all references from my wow folders.

I tried the 'import from another char', but it shows only two chars, and they were on a server I scratched from as they no longer exist, it doesnt seem to see the other chars in my portfolio as it were. Sigh...

Good ideas Vis, but now I have gone from 'floundering' to 'drowning'.

You gotta laugh...

KS

08-26-10, 12:43 PM   #4
Kyzzy
A Fallenroot Satyr
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Kyzzy View Post
You gotta laugh...

Reloading from CarboniteAddon.com, lets see how we go

08-26-10, 12:52 PM   #5
Kyzzy
A Fallenroot Satyr
Angry

I dont believe it...

Each Character has its own file in WoW, and each server lives in its own folder for the player, ie, me... So I have a folder for each realm, and in that realm, is the list of characters in that realm, even deleted ones.

I was careful to delete all the Carbonite references I could find in the folders for the charactes on the realm I am using. Reloaded wow. Then re installed from download, Carbonite... Restarted wow and the carbonite settings and images are EXACTLY as they were before.

So where is that information held???

Carbonite when it works, is very good. When it does not work, you have so many variables to 'mess around with', so many folders with persistant information in and so many selectable options, Its impossible to carry settings over from one character on one realm, onto another character on another realm.

For an hour and a half now, instead of getting on with mining, I have been messing around with "£$%^&*( carbonite. GRRRRR

KS

08-26-10, 01:30 PM   #6
Kyzzy
A Fallenroot Satyr
Exclamation A ha Gather Icon Size

Interesting point...

Options-> map -> "Icon scale minimum size..... was set to =0 so reset it to -1 and now I have icons again.....

08-26-10, 01:52 PM   #7
Kyzzy
A Fallenroot Satyr
But now...

... But now, as I enter a cave, for example, I see the layout of the cave, but as soon as I move, it details to 'all black' and it takes a mouse roll over to restore the image, until I move again and. . .

08-26-10, 03:05 PM   #8
Kyzzy
A Fallenroot Satyr
Smile no Simple answer

Ok, getting nack to where I was some hours ago...

There is no simple answer.

Setting everything back to 'factory settings' is applicable per character/per Realm/per account, so the more chars you have over various realms increases the size of the problem.

Deleting it [Carbonite] (after squirreling around finding folders in 'WTF' and in 'Addons') and reloading it makes so little difference, all it does do, is consume your time. Don't ask me why, I don't know! There has to be a file or register somewhere that holds data that is more persistant.

I still cannot share from one character on one realm with another character on another realm.

All in all, Its a terrific add-on, but be prepared to spend a lot of time messing about with it to get it close to how you think it should be.

KS

08-26-10, 03:48 PM   #9
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

The only file that holds every setting for Carbonite is located here:

"WTF\ACCOUNT\YOUACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables\Carbonite.lua"

That file contains 99.9% of everything, for every toon, on every server of a single account. That is the account wide SavedVariables folder and is what allows Carb to share profiles between different characters on different realms.

The other file located in:

"WTF\ACCOUNT\YOUACCOUNTNAME\YOURSERVER\YOURTOONNAME\SavedVariables\Carbonite.lua

Only contains information relating to that specific character's flight paths. Just so you can see it, here's the text from one of my Character Specific files. Keep in mind this toon has only been to a single flight master in Northrend since I've reinstalled my UI. When I do finally visit another Flight Master in another continent, that data will be in this Character Specific file as well, and only that data.

Code:
NxCData = {
	["Version"] = 0.1,
	["Taxi"] = {
		["Ulduar"] = true,
		["Ebon Watch"] = true,
		["Stars' Rest"] = true,
		["Fizzcrank Airstrip"] = true,
		["Unu'pe"] = true,
		["Valgarde Port"] = true,
		["Frosthold"] = true,
		["Westguard Keep"] = true,
		["Amber Ledge"] = true,
		["Kamagua"] = true,
		["Amberpine Lodge"] = true,
		["Fort Wildervar"] = true,
		["Valiance Landing Camp"] = true,
		["Fordragon Hold"] = true,
		["Wintergarde Keep"] = true,
		["Windrunner's Overlook"] = true,
		["Light's Breach"] = true,
		["The Argent Vanguard"] = true,
		["Gundrak"] = true,
		["Nesingwary Base Camp"] = true,
		["Argent Tournament Grounds"] = true,
		["Dalaran"] = true,
		["Westfall Brigade"] = true,
		["The Shadow Vault"] = true,
		["Moa'ki"] = true,
		["Valiance Keep"] = true,
		["K3"] = true,
		["The Argent Stand"] = true,
		["River's Heart"] = true,
		["Wyrmrest Temple"] = true,
		["Dun Nifflelem"] = true,
		["Transitus Shield"] = true,
		["Zim'Torga"] = true,
		["Bouldercrag's Refuge"] = true,
		["Crusaders' Pinnacle"] = true,
	},

Like I mentioned in my prior post though, once you fubar the settings for Carb to the point where everything is wrong no matter what you do, the only real option is start from scratch. That means having to go through and re setup everything. It's a pain, but it's the easiest way

08-26-10, 04:35 PM   #10
Kyzzy
A Fallenroot Satyr
tku Vis

Thanks Vis, I will look at that tomorrow.

Agreed on the fubar, was kinda hoping if I trashed one char, an alt would be impervious to the fail, but it is not that simple.

KS

Last edited by Kyzzy : 08-26-10 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Changed 'thefubar' to read 'the fubar'

08-27-10, 01:57 AM   #11
Kyzzy
A Fallenroot Satyr
Carbonite.lua

Hi Vis.

My copy of "WTF\ACCOUNT\ACCOUNTNAME\SavedVariables\Carbonite.lua" has only data for one character on one server. My guess here is that it needs to be populated, so will run up a couple more characters and then a couple in another realm and see what the changes are.

Could be why I am not seeing what you are seeing.

----

Looking at one of my other characters, on another Realm, I found this...
WTF\ACCOUNT\ACCOUNTNAME\RealmName\MyCharacterName\SavedVariables\Carbonite.lua held only...

"NxCData = {
["Version"] = 0.1,
["Taxi"] = {
},
}"

Ergo, I beleive until those characters have been logged in and moved, those files will stay empty and I will not find them in the list of Characters to copy over data from...

This, as you suspected (I think) will be the reason I am seeing such different results from that which you expected me to see.

Ole!

KS

08-27-10, 03:05 AM   #12
Kyzzy
A Fallenroot Satyr
It gets complicated

Ok here is the tests I have done

NF means 'character reference not found in main LUA file'
Yes means Flight Data has been found in the characters Carbonite lua file

Char level and Realm : Main File : Flight Data
------------------------------------------------------------
Level 10 Char on Azuremyst - : - NF : Yes
Level 58 Char on Azuremyst - : - F : Yes, but Wrong
Level 33 Char on Arathor - - : - NF : Yes
Level 22 Char on Arathor - - : - NF : No
Level 7 Char on Terokkar - - : - NF : Yes

A character that no longer exists on one realm does show up in the main Carbonite.LUA even though there is no character folder for that character in the associated realm folder!

All in all, I fear there is a great deal of inconsistency in the make up of the files. If the main carbonite.lua file is supposed to hold all there is for all characters from all realms, then here it is failing abysmally.

The main carbonite.lua file is only some 798Kb, it would have to be ten times that for the number of characters I have.

Does the Main carbonite file get scanned at each log-in and log-out as now, logging out one character to bring on another takes nearly three minutes. About a minute to log out and about two minutes to log in. I go make a coffee after selecting 'log-in' for a char, when I get back, coffee in hand, the blue line is just reaching the end of the log-in screen.

I look forward to your insight Vis, and anyone else of course.

I have not given up with carbonite, for when it works, its darned good.

KS

08-27-10, 04:46 AM   #13
Jigain
A Molten Giant

It might be worth noting that Carbonite updates character data when you are logged in on that particular character, with Carbonite active. In essence, characters don't appear in Carb's listing when a character has been created, but never logged in to, or a character has been logged in to, but not with Carbonite loaded.

Likewise, Carb can't possibly know if/when you've deleted a character. You have to actually delete the character from Carb's listing. One way of doing this is to enter the Warehouse (chest icon on Carb's map), right click the name of the character that has been deleted, and choosing to delete it from the popup menu.

Flight data and its accuracy is a moot point. Flight data will update each time you visit a flight master on that continent (for example, visiting the Stormwind flight master records and updates all your available flight points in Eastern Kingdoms). While errorneous flight data can cause some confusion, it'll be automagically (sic!) corrected as you play.

As a finishing note, mostly to Vis, Carbonite does NOT save all settings on a per character basis. This is something that has bothered me on several occasions. One example is the button-catching thing Carbonite does. I want to use it on some characters, but not on others. Yet changing the option on any character alters the setting across every character I have on the account.

08-27-10, 05:35 AM   #14
Kyzzy
A Fallenroot Satyr
Thank you

Thank you Jigain.

I am running Msoft XP and while I look at my system using the tools in Windows, I see there are four files:-

Carbonite ...................760Kb LUA file
Carbonite.lua ...............702Kb BAK file
CarboniteTransfer............1Kb LUA file
CarboniteTransfer.LUA........1Kb BAK file

A trigger for confusion mayhap. (But I thought you knew the default extensions could be ignored if you have allowed Windows to make that choice).

Let me make a new rule here.

If I mention a filename, it has to be ABSOLUTE. (So we can all sing from the same porridge bowl, or something)

Now, the above looks like :-

Carbonite.lua ...................760Kb LUA file
Carbonite.lua.bak ...............702Kb BAK file
CarboniteTransfer.lua............1Kb LUA file
CarboniteTransfer.LUA.bak........1Kb BAK file

I looked at my system to find Carbonite.Lua, and was actually looking at a BAK file, and as such, common sense tells me, could be different.

Now I expose full file names and have nothing hidden, I see the file cabonite.lua AND it's backup, carbonite.lua!

I agree as well on the following:

The main Carbonite.LUA file in the accountname folder of the WTF branch, contains some information that is applicable and consistent to ALL CHARS over ALL Realms, and it contains as well, Information succinct to individual chars on each realm.

So, as this file (Carbonite.Lua) has grown over it's evolution, it has become a bit of a dogs dinner and could now be usefully split into two file groups.

1) persistant and read by all characters
2) Persistant and read by one character only.

he he, this whole thing is a bit of a learning excerise, but now, My minimap, while in a cave, for example, shows the cave and its twists and turns, but as I move the character, the minimap fades to black.

Somewhere in there, is a slider that dictates when that fade to black occurs. That, that is the file I am looking for. ( I think )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next challenge:
1) Rename Carbonite.Lua to Was-Carbonite.Lua
2) Rename Carbonite.Lua.bak to Was-Carbonite.Lua.bak

That should enable me to:

3) Reinstall the carbonite.lua and carbonite.lua.bak files from the downloaded file to kick start a factory perfect setting for those two files.

I could rename the WTF folder, and screw up settings on a lot of other addons on and make life really difficult for a few hours, but I am not going there.

KS

08-27-10, 06:36 AM   #15
Kyzzy
A Fallenroot Satyr
reloaded

Having renamed carbonite.lua and carbonite.lua.bak so they are not recognised by Carbonite any longer, I downloaded Carbonite addon again and allowed it to rebuild the file base.

A new carbonite.lua file was created. I watched it grow as I logged the following characters into WoW.

Lvl 68, Hunter, terokkar, 25Kb
Lvl 36, Warrior, terokkar, 47Kb
Lvl 64, Priest, terokkar, 64Kb
Lvl 10, Paladin, azuremyst, 98Kb
Lvl 07, Shaman, Blade's Edge, 120Kb

That is some rate of growth!

I have a lot more characters to add to the file so I can imagine by the time it is complete, it will be massive.

Now, after following a lot of paths and learning a lot of things, I have this darn minimap turning all black inside caves a few seconds after I start moving.

KS

08-27-10, 11:23 AM   #16
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
As a finishing note, mostly to Vis, Carbonite does NOT save all settings on a per character basis. This is something that has bothered me on several occasions. One example is the button-catching thing Carbonite does. I want to use it on some characters, but not on others. Yet changing the option on any character alters the setting across every character I have on the account.
Thanks for the heads up on that one Jigain. I didn't realize that some of those settings end up getting changed account wide rather than just the active toon. Sometimes I'm at a disadvantage since I don't utilize the majority of things that Carb is capable of.

Originally Posted by Kyzzy View Post
Now, after following a lot of paths and learning a lot of things, I have this darn minimap turning all black inside caves a few seconds after I start moving.
I'm guessing that you have the Blizzard map integrated into Carbonite's. If that's the case, one of the other fine folks may be better able to help you on that one. That is something I don't know anything about since I don't have mine setup that way.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite maps. Frustration, PSE ADVISE