09-26-12, 02:24 AM   #1
natassja72
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Pet Battles - Pet Maps

There is already several addons supporting creation of pet teams or managing pet journal. But now that we can catch rare pets in the world and Wowhead.com has developed interactive map of all pets I wish that there was an addon of similar functionality to use in game since alt tabbing to browser constantly is awkward to say the least because I play in fullscreen.

Is there an addon like that?
09-26-12, 03:14 AM   #2
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
perhaps _NPCScan can be updated if the pets have a NPC ID then you can add them yourself
09-26-12, 03:27 AM   #3
tinyu
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hmm looks like Rare Pets are not the same as a Rare Spawn, I found this on WoWHead

The rarity is not the same as the silver dragon rare mobs found around the place a every day Rabbit or Squirrel or Bettle can be rare, when it comes to battle pets it's not the limit of that type that makes it rare (like it is with the silver dragon rare mobs) but the 'Quality' of battle stats it has.

Each battle pet has stats for it's level, some are blessed with awesome stats while most will have the standard or sub-standard stats. For example a lvl1 Hare might have the stat rating of poor (grey) common (white) uncommon (green) or rare (blue), it still looks the same as any other hare but a rare hare will have better stats (HP etc) then a poor one for it's level. The beauty is you don't know if it's uncommon or rare until you capture it so you might fight a baby bear and think it's awesome because it's always sleeping and regaining health but when you capture it it could just be a poor rated bear.

After battling so many bugs, hares, toads etc etc of the same level it's fairly easy to pick which one has better stats, but this often results in a uncommon find (well for me it does.) I've recently found a rare lvl6 snail and I knew it was special because all other lvl6 snails I had faced before it had around 450-550HP but this one had a 600HP rating, it also hit harder and lasted longer so when it was low enough in health to capture I captured it and lo-and-behold my first rare (I've caught some uncommon ones up until then.) This snail was the 9th I battled in the one area. Also the spot doesn't mark it rare, I logged onto a different realm, flew to the same spot and after battling snails for over an hour not one produced a rare snail for me... so I also think it's RNG on the stats.

My second rare was a pet that joined a battle (in some fights other battle pets team up with the pet you've challenged) it was a Forest Moth and just kept firing it's balls at me while silked so after burning through two of my pets my last one got it down to enough health to capture. Again went back to the same area on other toons on a different realm and nothing, only poor graded moths.

So yeah a rare battle pet is not the same as a rare silver dragon mob. It's to do with the stats it has. Nothing visual marks it as rare, only when you battle it does some of it's specialness shine through.

For those of you who haven't paid attention to your pets up until now and you want to know what your pet is rated at open your pet book (Shift+P) and click on the pets you've captured, under it's HP, Power & Speed there is a tiny dice and next to that dice will list either Poor or Common or Uncommon or Rare (this rating will show up only on the captured pets, not the drops or TCG etc etc, only those wild ones you capture in battle.) If you don't want a book full of poor quality pets (or multiples) just right click on the icon of the unwanted pet and select release and it deletes the pet from your book permanently.
Looks like the only way to know if a Battle Pet is Rare is to capture it.
09-27-12, 02:15 AM   #4
nickyjean
Premium Member
Premium Member
Also I'm pretty sure that the pets don't generate the quality until the battle starts. This would also not include the back pets that show up to fight. There are some pets based on location and weather or season or raining (ape in Stranglethorn) and location. I think I heard all of those were rare quality when captured because of how difficult the situation is to farm. but I could see an alert to tell you that Scorpid has been seen or Ape available.
09-27-12, 03:10 AM   #5
natassja72
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
Guys, I'm really sorry but it seems I used wrong wording in my original post which indeed made my request impossible to fulfill. I used term 'rare' pets, but meant 'capturable wild pets' as opposed to the regular ones available so far in game from vendors, quests, events, craftable or from Blizzard store etc.
Thanks for responses though, it was a good read! Especially the quote from forums It made me dig for some more addons and found one that indicates the pet's rareness before trapping (Pet Battle Quality Glow - so far it worked perfectly).
Anyway, what I'm looking forward is a map, that would merely indicate pets' spawn points within the zone, just like the wowhead map. So that I don't need to constantly alt tab to browser. It does'nt need to have fancy options, be highly interactive, just symbols for pets so I can know where to look for that particular pet throughout the zone.
Hopefully someone will develop such a map addon soon

Last edited by natassja72 : 09-27-12 at 03:20 AM.
09-27-12, 03:26 PM   #6
nickyjean
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm sure this isn't as detailed as you were hoping for but BattlePetList might be something to tide you over. The list is in the chat box and there isn't anything in the map itself.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Pet Battles - Pet Maps