02-15-13, 08:10 PM   #1
MrAddison
A Kobold Labourer
Looking for addons

I'm just looking for a couple of random addons.
Could you give me a few addons that are really helpful for gameplay. Addons that you all use?
Any addons that could help me in dungeons/my first raid ever in the future? I'm a Retribution Paladin.
Are there any fun addons to toy around with? Maybe a mini game or something too.

I have no idea which addons I should get.
I'm new to World of Warcraft and would just love addons to help me with the game and any fun addons.
Especially an addon that

1. Would help my Retribution Paladin in Dungeons/Raids
2. Make my character frame and even party frame look cooler. If possible.
02-15-13, 09:50 PM   #2
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Mini-gamesFor gameplay assistance I would actually advise against it, you'll enjoy the game more if you don't tunnel vision your abilities, performance whatever.
Try to play with friends and challenge yourself to open your eye to the big picture ie look at what the enemies are doing as well as your own team, try to find ways to help.
Playing a swiss-army knife type of character has much more longevity than single-minded-ly fulfilling your "role" in the narrowest way possible.
Although "good dps numbers" might shield you from some of the most unsavory elements of the wow playerbase in the long term your enjoyment will suffer for it.

That said if you do want to try a rotation helper I think Bitten's SpellFlash: Paladin (you need all 3 components) takes the best approach by re-using a familiar mechanic from Blizzard: ActionButton Flashing.

Finally with regards to making your UI better looking overall I think for new players the best approach is to try a full-UI package, or UI compilation as they're called.
Popular / well tested options include:Or browse the Compilations & Suites category yourself.
You'll get a good idea of what different things are possible and eventually might go the "advanced" route of building your own interface from scratch which is optimal as you're the only one that knows what suits you best.
I don't however advise starting there as you can quite easily get lost / frustrated with the myriad of different addons available for each part of the interface.

Last edited by Dridzt : 02-15-13 at 10:04 PM.
02-16-13, 10:03 AM   #3
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

While I understand Dridzt's sentiments about enjoying the game, I wouldn't play a dps class without a dps meter. You have absolutely no way to gauge your performance without one, which means you have no idea whether you're even doing something wrong or not.

If you're going to download one addon, I would recommend Recount.

Then, if you want help with bosses in dungeons I would get the LittleWigs plugin for BigWigs or whatever the Deadly Boss Mod equivalent there is.

Finally, I would recommend an addon that adds cooldown text to your action buttons so you can see how much time is left at a glance. OmniCC is a popular one, I actually have one that does pretty much the same thing except you can't change any of the settings and it adds distracting sparkly animations to the buttons you're pressing, and I'm not even sure it currently still works, but you're certainly welcome to try it.
02-16-13, 10:30 AM   #4
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I second the suggestion for a dps meter (for self-evaluation purposes) and a cooldown addon.

To expand a bit on what I actually meant with my comment:
Good performance in your role is something to strive for, a good part of enjoying the game comes from getting better at it.

What I meant is that there's also a trap players fall in, particularly veteran players that have become jaded and disillusioned with the game.
If you tunnel vision your attention strictly to dps performance, the game is reduced to a priority system or "rotation".

The environment, the team play elements, the coordination, the utility takes a back seat and that's a sure-fire way to get bored faster when everything boils down to "face x and do 1-1-2-3-4-1-1-5".
(especially in low-difficulty content that can be completed in robot-mode and multi-tasking is "luxury")
Stepping outside the constraints of your role by becoming temporarily a tank (kiting? emergency pickup?), a healer, throwing some cc etc while fulfilling your primary role, goes for far more entertaining play and is no less productive for your group.

The tricky part is; that type of play while rewarding for the player and helpful for groups is more than likely to go unappreciated or even draw flak in pugs, which is why I suggested tackling dungeons with friends if at all possible.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Looking for addons