09-16-10, 06:58 PM   #21
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Caps is normally assumed to be YELLING AT SOMEONE AND DOES NOT GET YOUR POINT ACROSS. As far as being immature by assuming your age, that was nothing more then a educated guess at your age based upon the way you were carrying yourself in written text on this forum. It really honestly is not my fault that you act like a 10 year old.

But putting all that aside, Let us start fresh and try to solve your problem.
Please answer the following questions.

1.) When you reset your "WoW' installation did you happen to copy over your existing WTF and Interface folder. Or did you download a fresh copy of each addon.

2.) Do you use any "custom chat addons" If so which ones.

3.) Have you tried to disable all of your addons and /leave a channel or have you only tried with the addons enabled.

09-16-10, 07:36 PM   #22
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Originally Posted by mystaken1 View Post
Sorry u feel I'm 'yelling' at anyone but if you would scroll back up to my original post u will see that I have been trying to get rid of this 'bug' for 10 months....can you blame anyone for getting a bit frustrated after that much time?

I have completely deleted WTF, cache and all my add-ons at least twice. This initself is frustrating because I then must reconfigure my add-ons to my settings and relearn/refind locations of herb/ore.
I have reset my UI nurmerous times.
I have '/leave channel' so many times I'm sick of it. As I said I have a macro just to do this. Yet it will sometimes reopen immediatly even if I am not moving (so much for re-entering a zone/city).
No one has yet said anything that will remove the root cause nor suggested anything that I have not already tried several times.
Are you trying to say that the chat channel 'CrbZ' is not part and parcel of Carbonite? Because the implication that the problem lies somewhere else seems to say just that. I also seem to be hearing that uninstalling add-ons and then re-installing them fresh would have no effect?
Oh, I play on several servers. Realm Bladefist is westcoast (Seattle), Realms Fizzcrank and Trollbane are on Central and East coast servers. Also, from what I have read in WoW forums, I am not the only person experiancing a problem with Carbonite's Custom Chat Channels.

BTW...the annoying 'ticking' sound only occurs if another player is also in the 'CrbZ######' channel. If I am the only toon in it it makes no noise.
What I have yet to hear is why an add-on that has been uninstalled has left some part of itself 'imbedded' somewhere besides where it should be located. When you get down to the basics, it's rather inethical to say the least...

Also, dishing someone you don't know and have no idea of their actual age is just as immature as you accuse me of being.
In your initial posts you did not tell us what you had tried. We are using standard trouble shooting methods and with that we are bound to say things you may have tried if at the time we are not made aware of these things.

Now to the issue at hand. Did you try just removing (no need to delete the folders, just move them completely out of the WoW folder) both wtf and addons folders then logging in and leaving all channels that are not default?

If so did you then exit all the way out and log back in with the same above conditions? Did the channels reappear?

If you followed that procedure exactly and the channels are still reappearing then its a server side issue. Custom channels joined are stored server side.

To confirm this is the case i just did the exact same test. Moved the folders as described above. Logged in and left the custom channels I am usually in. Exited all the way out then back in and the channels were gone.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

09-16-10, 10:30 PM   #23
Chmee
A Molten Giant
The interesting thing to me is that I've been using carb for a very long time, on all my toons. I've never seen this "chat channel" spam problem, I've never seen the chat channels described at all. As far as I know I've not turned off anything in carb that would have created such channels. I'm certain I've never manually left one. So I'm at a loss to say what could be causing the problem.

09-16-10, 10:49 PM   #24
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

What I think is the problem is that he/she has a chat mod that brings all the addons channels active. Normally they are not active and or you don't see them. But without further input from the OP we have no way of knowing.

09-17-10, 03:02 AM   #25
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by mystaken1 View Post
What I have yet to hear is why an add-on that has been uninstalled has left some part of itself 'imbedded' somewhere besides where it should be located. When you get down to the basics, it's rather impossible to say the least...
FTFY (Fixed That For You)

An addon cannot affect the game when it is not in your Interface\AddOns folder. Period. This is a fact. If Carbonite is not in your addons folder, then lo and behold, Carbonite is not the culprit.

09-18-10, 01:28 PM   #26
Paininabox
A Murloc Raider
Actually, it isn't quite true anymore that addons only work within the wow directory. Virtual store, a security protocol that reroutes a program from writing into the program files directory, is a new feature of Windows 7 and Vista. It doesn't happen all the time, and I'm not quite sure how it works. Suffice it to say that if you delete the addons from your wow directory and they're still loading (which is obviously true since you keep rejoining the channel, which the wow client won't do without an addon), then it will run the addons out of your virtual store directory. The path on my machine is as follows:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft

See if that helps. By the way, OP, since this software (the addon) is provided free of charge to you, the author or anyone does not have any obligation to support said software in your particular problems and provided AS IS. Therefore, don't try to pull the "unhappy customer" card. You get what you pay for, and you didn't pay anything.

Edit: By the way, the AppData folder is a hidden folder, so you'll either have to check the show hidden files and folders option or you can type out the entire directory line into your address bar. To check the show hidden files option, in your file explorer window you click tools --> folder options--> View tab--> in the long list find the bullet for show hidden files, folders, and drives and enable. If the toolbar is not shown, simply hit f10.

Edit2: Oh and this also applies to addon save data as well. If you for instance make changes to an addon and they do not save between sessions, then it could feasibly be VS. For instance, Auctioneer data could not save after scanning the auction house, etc.

Last edited by Paininabox : 09-18-10 at 02:04 PM.

09-18-10, 02:11 PM   #27
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

If i am not mistaken and I may be. When you install WOTLK does it not suggest that you DO NOT install into /program files/?

Edit: Would like to say that not all versions of windows vista uses this virtual store, I have 8 pc's here and non of them do. And it is not a windows update as I install them every night on all the pc's.

09-18-10, 02:26 PM   #28
Paininabox
A Murloc Raider
Yes, it tells you that upon install. Virtual store is tied to the UAC, so if you disable that it could possibly disable virtual store as well. I am not sure; I don't claim to understand the ins and outs of it. All I know is that it's the only logical explanation for an addon appearing to load up even when it is deleted. It happened to me, so I figured I'd put forward the possibility. It's worth a shot, anyway.

Edit: If you run WoW as an administrator, it will bypass virtual store so that WoW can save in the normal directory. Right-click wow.exe, click properties, Compatibility tab, check "Run this program as an administrator".

Edit2: If it's not in virtual store, try c:\users\public\games. If none of that helps, I'm stumped. Good luck.

Last edited by Paininabox : 09-18-10 at 02:46 PM.

09-18-10, 03:04 PM   #29
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Just one small correction...

Originally Posted by Paininabox View Post
By the way, OP, since this software (the addon) is provided free of charge to you, the author or anyone does not have any obligation to support said software in your particular problems and provided AS IS.
Carbonite is not software; it does not run an executable file. It is a code snippet, nothing more, nothing less. Just a bit of hairsplitting I figured I might as well point out.

Regarding Virtual Store, I hadn't even heard of it, but some basic Googling and my own incredibly sharp (and mindboggingly humble!) brain comes to one hurdle not even Virtual Store can climb - if Carbonite isn't checked in the AddOns selection on the character selection screen, not even Virtual Store can run it. This is because Carbonite is loaded by World of Warcraft, and if World of Warcraft isn't specifically told to load Carbonite, it won't.

This isn't to say Virtual Store cannot be the culprit, but rather, it cannot be the culprit if the OP actually made sure Carbonite isn't loaded.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » CrbZ...