04-09-09, 10:20 PM   #1
coldned
A Kobold Labourer
Arrow Requesting Password for CrbB2 chat channel

when first loading WoW carbonite started requesting a password for the aformentioned chat channel. Just started today. No changes were made to my system so I have no idea why it just started to do this today.

04-09-09, 11:06 PM   #2
Haavok
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by coldned View Post
when first loading WoW carbonite started requesting a password for the aformentioned chat channel. Just started today. No changes were made to my system so I have no idea why it just started to do this today.
That's just someone being a jerk and setting a password on a chat channel that Carbonite uses. It won't affect anything significant...it will either prevent you from receiving new version messages or seeing 'punks' and other Carbonite users in your zone.

Last edited by Haavok : 04-10-09 at 09:03 AM.

04-16-09, 03:13 AM   #3
Tokolosh
A Kobold Labourer

Lightbulb Is it possible...

... to detect that a channel is password protected? If so, surely an idea would be to just change the channel automatically, until you get a non-password protected one.

That way whoever did it originally can have his channel by all means...

In other words:
Password protected channel detected.
Try CrB(n)+1 (CrB3 in this case.)
Password protected? Rinse and Repeat previous point till success.

As this is most likely one person doing this, and you can only have 10 channels, it will eventually find a workable channel.

Problem is, if this guy drops the original channel, any new person logging in will be on the original channel, not linking to the other "older" sessions.

Might be solved by periodically rechecking the original channel and relinking if it becomes available.

Tokolosh.

04-16-09, 03:55 AM   #4
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I looked at that and there was no way to tell if a channel had a password on it except by joining it and then the game opens the edit box, which would then require detecting the box and closing it without you seeing it, which opens up a whole can of ugliness and possible bugs.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Requesting Password for CrbB2 chat channel