12-05-05, 08:44 PM   #21
Nulkris
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Great work, so easy to see how the schema changes and don't have to unpack a thing.

Thanks for your efforts Bela
12-07-05, 04:04 PM   #22
Beladona
A Molten Giant

had to take the comparison reports down temporarily, as well as the paptch notes. The recent patch messed up my timeline slightly, and forced me to rethink how I organize my compares. I have a new method figured out, and am already working on getting it up. The only downside is, now I have almost twice as many compares to do each patch.

The upside is, there will be MORE compares for you guys to look at

I will try to get everything back to full functional by tomorrow. I am taking a much needed break from working on it tonight, so that I can actually play wow for a change /wink
12-09-05, 01:25 AM   #23
Beladona
A Molten Giant

compares are done, and the layout has been modified slightly. Everything should be working fine so if you don't see compares for some versions, try hitting refresh on your browser.

Patch Notes will be up tomorrow...
12-09-05, 01:30 AM   #24
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Bela, thank you for your continued and ongoing work on this. I know it is an invaluable resource for a number of folks in the UI modding community. It's appreciated.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti
12-10-05, 12:51 PM   #25
Legorol
A Cliff Giant
Diffs for download

As per Beladona's request, I'm posting the suggested diff facilities that the UI versions page should support:

* It should be possible to request "diffing" between any two arbitrary versions of the UI files
* It should be possible to download an individual diff for a single changed file, or
* It should be possible to download a complete diff, which is a concatenation of all diffs for all changed files
* The diff should be as humanly readable as possible, taken straight from the output of the UNIX diff command (without -c option), i.e. not a .patch file
* The concatenated diff that has all diffs should have the filenames (complete with relative path, e.g. AddOns\Blizzard_BattlefieldMinimap\Blizzard_BattlefieldMinimap.lua) inserted as separators

Thanks a lot!
12-16-05, 04:16 AM   #26
Elkano
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

First of all: Thanks a lot for your work

Now some suggestions:
- On the 'Version Comparison Summary' pages you have a statistic of changed/added/deleted stuff. Would it be possible to add such a statistic to the indivitual 'File Comparison Details' pages, too? Maybe even add the numbers behind the files in the list, too.
- does it make any sense to compare a new subrelease (eg 1.8.4) with the last test release? Most of the changes to the test release would have been reverted so I don't see usefull informtaion in that (just wondering, but I suppose it would be hader to have it skip those compares than to simply process them as all the others ^^)
- diffing between any versions as listed by Legorol would be nice, too

Well, thanks in advance
12-16-05, 08:27 AM   #27
Beladona
A Molten Giant

did the sub release comapre to the last test release simply to be complete. It is probably not necessary however.

I am working on an extremely revamped version of the site that will allow you to compare any version to any version. At the moment all file compares are html files, while everything else on the site is xml. The reason I did that is because the xml files I generated for the individual files were getting way too large. Unfortunately xml representation of data can cause that data to grow...

If each file was simply xml I could easily add the changes per file by editing a single xsl file, but alas due to all those files being html, I would need to change every single file, nubering in the thousands.

The new version should help alleviate that a lot, as it will generate those statistics on the fly, allowing me to simply store the archive like I do now, and grabbing data from the archive as needed..
01-04-06, 10:47 PM   #28
Beladona
A Molten Giant

updated with last test patch, and the recent push to live (1.9.0.4937)

Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation, and then wowinterface went through patch day slowness that prevented immediate updates to the site.

FYI: The last 2 versions uploaded are using a slightly different format for the file compares. When you view an actual file compare you will see what I mean. Large blocks of unchanged code is now being skipped in my output. I hated to do it, as I know some people like to view files in their entirety, however due to space and speed constraints I felt it necessary.

All previous versions will be getting updated to the new format as time permits.

http://wdn.wowinterface.com
02-10-06, 03:46 PM   #29
Beladona
A Molten Giant

Patch Notes are complete (minus some very large ones I have yet to convert, which will be done tonight)

For tracking purposes I am going to be listing feature requests that I am working on here.

Feature Requests in order of priority:

Way to view files directly without downloading them. This will be likely done via a script which views the contents of the zip files that are already provided for download. This way I do not need to upload the files directly, and can simply use what is already present on the server.

Downloadable Diffs - archives of diffs for each version, probably in multiple diff formats.

Ultimately I would like to have a way to view differences between ANY one version to ANY other. This needs EXTENSIVE testing and experimentation, as it needs to be simple and usable from an end-user's point of view, but still provide all of the functions an advanced user needs.

Optimizations and space savings. I am looking into ways to better store all diffs and view them without slowing down output. Ways may be to zip everyrthing and then view it from within the zip. This will also require extensive testing. Another idea is to store only the diffs, and get file contents from the archived files already present on the server. I can then dynamically apply diffs to them before outputting them to the browser.
07-20-06, 11:59 PM   #30
Beladona
A Molten Giant

Major update has been done on the site. I revamped the look, and started adding new features.

* One of the biggest new features was something requested by a few people who are active at wowwiki. Specifically they wanted a way to view only the latest files, and have a way to statically link to them. In other words, a link that can be put on wowiki to any particular file, and have it ALWAYS display the latest version of that file. Previously linking to any of teh "source code" views of any particular file meant that it was always the file for that specific version that you were linking directly to. This meant that you would need to update your links on the wiki, or elsewhere whenever you wanted it to show the current version.

To solve this, I added a section called "Latest Builds" which will automatically update itself with the file list for the last live and test versions that were uploaded as a compare on wdn. As soon as a compare becomes available for a specific version, the latest page updates to reflect this. In addition to this, any file linked to from this page will show 'live' or 'test' instead of the specific version. This forces the source code view to display the file for the latest live or test version of that file.

* I had a few small requests for easier links. This was actually something I wanted to mess with and experiment with anyway, as having tons of junk in the link made it look messy, and non-typing friendly. The alternative was to use mod-rewrite which intelligently takes directory style links and passes them to my php pages the way they should be. This is done in teh background so you don't need to worry how it is happening. The good news is that now instead of a link like:

http://wdn.wowinterface.com/detail.p...=live&report=5 (be warned, this likely will no longer work)

you now have links that look like this:

http://wdn.wowinterface.com/details/01205496/live/5

This gets even more pronounced and logical when looking at source code for files:
http://wdn.wowinterface.com/code/012...CombatText.lua
That makes MUCH more sense doesn't it? Oh and it gets better... As I mentioned passing live or test in place of the version for source code works, and will ALWAYS show the current version for either the live or test server. As an example:

http://wdn.wowinterface.com/code/111.../ChatFrame.xml
http://wdn.wowinterface.com/code/liv.../ChatFrame.xml

both those links go to the exact same file, and displays the source code. However when 1.12 goes live, the one that has "live" as the version will display the file for 1.12, not 1.11.2! This means that linking to the latter with "live" will ALWAYS show the current version of the file you want, and you don't need to update the link every time there is a new version!

That concludes my changes for tonight. Next up is a section that shows all of the functions defined in the interface files, and tells you where they are defined. I may even have them automatically open the source code for the file it is defined in, and jump to the line it is defined at...

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Dev Tools » (WDN) Development Network