08-15-13, 05:15 PM   #1
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Looking for a developing tip

As my main is a Druid tank, and I happen to like that proc we got that makes Maul put a stacking debuff on your enemy that reduces their next auto attack, I'd like to write something that would help me see the real numbers of how much damage, during a whole boss fight, this saves.
The value of this debuff increases as you use more and more procs, but it has a timer and can expire before the next time the boss lands an auto attack without, essentially, having an effect.

So for a start, I'd like to ask for recommendations for a simple way to track, basically, the value of this debuff on a mob right before that mob lands a melee hit, because the 2 ideas I had so far really seem like someone around here might have better ones

Remember, every time you post a comment on an add-on, a kitten gets its wings!
08-16-13, 11:30 PM   #2
pelf
Sentient Plasmoid

Premium Member
I've already started writing a tracking system for this ... or, let's say I have code that does fairly naive detection and amount tracking work. More or less the only way you can do it is to watch for the buff's application, query the aura on the unit to find out the value and then wait for it to either be refreshed (amount augmented) or fall off. When it falls off, it gets trickier. I go into greater detail in this post:

http://www.theincbear.com/forums/vie...p=15057#p15057

When you want to track the effect on a unit that isn't your target, you end up having to get into guid:unit maps to be able to properly track it.
08-17-13, 03:43 AM   #3
Malsomnus
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
That makes it sound pretty complex
Well, I suppose that over-absorbing hits really is complex, and I can't think of any way to get around it. Though knowing when the buff runs out can probably done with some work.

Remember, every time you post a comment on an add-on, a kitten gets its wings!

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Looking for a developing tip